Cryptocurrencies and NFTs

Weird, so Sam the Bankman is not Fried?

Related to the topic of the SVB failure:

Wait, I thought the reason cryptocurrency is better than “fiat” currency is because it is not subject to being devalued from monetary policy and failures in financial markets… :thinking:

1 Like

A lot of the companies in coin biz were startups. The coins have value because those companies are operating. Just like WoW gold has value because Blizzard is operating. If Blizzard shuts, WoW gold loses value even if someone else keeps operating the game. If those crypto startups fail, the coins go down with them.

And of course, those crypto startups aren’t paying their employees with crypto. They’re paying employees with real money that they keep (kept) in SVB. And if that fact alone doesn’t show that coins are nonsense, I don’t know what does.

2 Likes

Yes, of course. I should have applied the /sarcasm tag, I thought it was implied.

Also, Silvergate, a bank that did a lot of business with Crypto companies, announced on Wednesday that it will wind down and liquidate.

1 Like

Matt Levine is a finance writer for Bloomberg. His column is often funny, if you’re here and interested in finance things it’s worth a read now and then:

if the moral of SVB is “your uninsured transaction-banking deposits can vanish overnight” then those businesses will do a lot more credit analysis, move their money out of weaker banks, and put it at, like, JPMorgan. This could be self-fulfillingly bad for a lot of weaker banks. My assumption is that the FDIC, the Federal Reserve, and the banks who are looking at buying SVB all really don’t want that. If you are a bank looking at buying SVB, and you do a detailed analysis of its assets and conclude that they are worth $180 billion, and you come to the FDIC and say “I will take over this bank and pay the uninsured depositors 95 cents on the dollar,” the FDIC is going to look at you and say “don’t you mean 100 cents on the dollar,” and you are going to say “oh right yes of course, silly me, 100 cents on the dollar.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2023-03-10/startup-bank-had-a-startup-bank-run

2 Likes

I’m still not gonna use this crap, but good for them.

Dan Olson is back, and he’s tearing into another crypto scam, powered by the Metaverse!
Two failures in one!

2 Likes

I am only halfway through the video and I am cringing so hard that my brain is trying to escape my skull.
How the fuck do any of these people look at this bullshit and think “yeah, that is THE FUTURE!”

To steal a line, “Metaverse is built on the premise that the multibillion video game industry doesn’t exist”,.

2 Likes

A new charge against Sam Bankman-Fraud.

1 Like

Dude’s doing his level best to try to overload the counter on mycrimes_longint.

Cryptominers now have to pay high taxes.

1 Like

No they don’t. This is a proposal of what the administration wants but until a law is actually passed it’s just that, a proposal.

2 Likes

Republicans are blocking any real action against crypto"currencies" with the gerrymandered House and unrepresentative Senate.

2 Likes

Translation of this French news Tweet: ““95% of NFT projects are no longer worth anything”: 2 years after the boom, many owners have given up on their investments.”

That’s like saying “100% of all lottery tickets are worth nothing 2 years after they were bought”. NFTs and crypto bullshit served their purpose perfectly, if you consider their utility to be transferring money away from many rubes to the pockets of a lucky few.

1 Like
1 Like