Computer advice thread ("What's the best way to do this?")

I saw this also. I do have a ThinkPad to upgrade. I think it’s an X201. The thing is, I don’t use the one I have. Why should I pay so much money to upgrade mine when I probably wouldn’t use it?

0 Likes

Now that Photoshop has gone to the subscription model, what’s the best way for small-time hobbyists to use it? In the past I’ve sailed the high seas, but that was for CS2 and earlier. Does it still work that way, or is there another solution? I don’t use it more than a few times a year, and even then it’s just to poke around at something, so it wouldn’t make sense to buy into it. Is the Gimp still a thing that people use?

0 Likes

Pay for it or use something else.

If you only need Photoshop and Lightroom it’s only $10 a month. I think there are still student discounts available also.

If you want a free alternative you can just Google for your options. GIMP has improved, but it’s still the GIMP. Still poop, just not as smelly as it used to be. None of them are as good as real Photoshop.

You can also just pirate a super old Photoshop. Still works, right?

0 Likes

Photoshop Elements is also around. I haven’t used it since I got a Photoshop subscription a couple years back, but it was pretty good as a “Photoshop Light.” I wouldn’t be surprised if its current functionality isn’t all the different from CS2 when you used it.

0 Likes