Computer advice thread ("What's the best way to do this?")

I saw this also. I do have a ThinkPad to upgrade. I think it’s an X201. The thing is, I don’t use the one I have. Why should I pay so much money to upgrade mine when I probably wouldn’t use it?

Now that Photoshop has gone to the subscription model, what’s the best way for small-time hobbyists to use it? In the past I’ve sailed the high seas, but that was for CS2 and earlier. Does it still work that way, or is there another solution? I don’t use it more than a few times a year, and even then it’s just to poke around at something, so it wouldn’t make sense to buy into it. Is the Gimp still a thing that people use?

Pay for it or use something else.

If you only need Photoshop and Lightroom it’s only $10 a month. I think there are still student discounts available also.

If you want a free alternative you can just Google for your options. GIMP has improved, but it’s still the GIMP. Still poop, just not as smelly as it used to be. None of them are as good as real Photoshop.

You can also just pirate a super old Photoshop. Still works, right?

Photoshop Elements is also around. I haven’t used it since I got a Photoshop subscription a couple years back, but it was pretty good as a “Photoshop Light.” I wouldn’t be surprised if its current functionality isn’t all the different from CS2 when you used it.

My HTPC used to work perfectly. But awhile ago it developed a problem with sleeping. I tell it to sleep, it sleeps for a few seconds. The power light blinks. I can wake it up with keyboard or mouse. Then the power light goes out. I can now only wake the computer by pressing the power button. The windows event log says unexpected shutdown.

I have tried every remedy on the Internet. Tried to change every windows power setting. Tried to change every BIOS power setting. Tried a bunch of stuff relating to the Intel management engine driver. Tried to update the BIOS. Tried to reflash the same BIOS. Tried to rollback the BIOS to an older version, but that didn’t work and I had to roll back to the newest version just to have a working computer.

The only thing I haven’t tried is using Linux to tell the computer to sleep to rule out if it is an OS or hardware/BIOS problem. I’ll be doing that soon.

My best guess is that after the computer sleeps for a few seconds, the PSU and/or motherboard feel like there’s no reason to keep providing power because so little power is being drawn, so they just shut off completely. Even if this is the case, I have no idea how to fix it short of replacing the motherboard/PSU. But other than this one problem, the entire computer works perfectly. I really don’t want to replace perfectly good working hardware over one tiny issue.

The thing is, this one tiny issue is extremely annoying on an HTPC. I really do not want to just leave the PC on at all times without even putting it in sleep mode. That’s a lot of wasted electricity. I also hate having to get up to turn the computer on with its physical power button. Everything else is remote control and can be turned on from the couch.

I guess I could fully shut down the computer every time, and then setup some kind of infra red remote that is directly hooked up to the HTPC’s power switch. Not really the most elegant or wonderful solution, though.

None of my Googling has found any other answers.

Double check the power plan settings.

If you have an Asus motherboard with an EPU, double check the power settings aren’t conflicting with the power plan. It may be set to turn off the HDD.

Test replacing the PSU.

Well this is the closest place for this I could find. We apparently don’t have a thread for adblocking specifically and I kinda get it, not enough to say to warrant it’s own thread.

Anyway, in the ever escalating arms race of ads vs blockers, a thing has been done by the advertisers where they get people in youtube videos to actually read their ads for them in their videos.

Well the other side has responded:

It’s got a database of known sponsors and checks for imagery associated with them and marks it for you and it’s open source to boot. You won’t need this for a few days unless you’re a scab or in the UK but after that, seems like an escalation.

Cool

2 Likes

It’s also available for Chrome.

I rarely buy physical media anymore but I went to a local shop today and actually bought some anime on Blu-ray because I wanted to support it (Mob Psycho 100 season 1 and Liz and the Blue Bird). Issue is that I don’t actually have a Blu-ray player. When I built my Media PC I put a Blu-ray drive in there, but dumbass that I am I never considered that I needed some special software to actually use with it, unlike with DVD which is the entirety of my physical library so far.

To make things short: Is there a free way to play Blu-ray under Windows 10? I saw that you can add some 3rd party plugin to VLC and tried that, but couldn’t get it to work. Or is there a cheaper way to acquire PowerDVD (the program I see recommended) because I am not exactly eager to pay 50 bucks for a piece of software I’ll use relatively rarely.

You need booray Jon, is what you’re saying.

Do you have a PS4?

No there really is not a good way to get Blu-Ray on PC without shelling out the license to PowerDVD for it.

You can get a combo DVD Blu-Ray player for that same price (50) off amazon.

I never realized this was a problem, due to having PS3/4 and Xbox One S. I wonder why Microsoft doesn’t just use the software you have to download from their store to play blu-rays on Xbox over on Windows 10 too. Some weird licensing thing maybe?

Blu-ray player or console has basically licensed a chip embedded version of the codec already built into the price at industrial scale. It’s just when you go to buy a PC license for your BYOPC standalone drive you are a buyer of 1. If you bought a pre-built PC with a blu-ray player from a builder it would probably come with the PowerDVD software you’d need to play commercial blu-rays.

I was recommended a piece of software called Leawo Blu-Ray player by a work colleague. Works fine enough for now, though it has ads built in while using the free version which can be annoying. I also considered buying a second hand PS3, but I am not exactly eager to put another hardware box underneath my TV. Same is true for any other type of dedicated device.

1 Like

Thing with Xbox One’s is that none of them can play blu-ray out of the box, like home built PCs. You have to go onto Microsoft’s Xbox store and download an app, that’s made by Microsoft, for it to work.

My Mother in Law has given my wife an android tablet but MIL had forgotten the android swipe pattern. They’d made so many guesses that it’s locked and will only accept a Google login. I’ve been tasked with unlocking the tablet.

I’ve been given the password to my MIL’s Google account but it didn’t work. So I tried logging in directly to Google in chrome and it still didn’t work so I tried an account recovery using the info I had and I got in. So I tried changing the password to what I was told it was. This didn’t work as the password was too simple, so I came up with a complicated version that it’d let me have. Password changed!

Back to the tablet, I tried the new password but the tablet isn’t connected to the internet so it still didn’t work.

Is there any way to get it online or will it forever ask for a lost password? I’ve tried to reset it but it just goes to the same screen.

Any reason to not just drop a fresh ROM on it for whatever the most up-to-date android version for the hardware is? Use Odin and flash it over.

Does anyone have a go-to learning guide for beginners with git and github/gitlab? The official documentation is notoriously dense.

I’ve been referencing Github suggested workflow for a decade, but I’m wondering if there’s anything that goes more into the why’s than just the commands to run.

I am a Git hipster. I have used it since before it was cool.

No, literally. I’ve been using Git as my primary VCS since 2007-8 ish. I don’t exactly remember.

If you want to be good at Git, you can’t do it by learning commands or workflows. You have to understand how Git actually works. Once you understand how it works, then you will understand what commands are really doing and won’t need to follow any prescribed workflow. You’ll just know what to do to achieve the result you want.

This is the pdf that taught me everything I needed to know.

http://ftp.newartisans.com/pub/git.from.bottom.up.pdf

2 Likes