Computer advice thread ("What's the best way to do this?")

Echoing @Apreche here, but you fundamentally need to understand the Git object model before Git will truly make sense.

Chapter 2 of Pro Git has how to use the basics, which should be mostly clear if you’ve used any source control management software but isn’t too bad even if you don’t. Chapter 3 explains the object model—commits, trees, blobs, and annotated tags. Internalize chapter 3. Once you comprehend chapter 3, everything you did in chapter 2 will make sense, and you should be able to manage any git repo that only includes you.

Workflows are mostly about working with other people. They’re a social contract on top of the technical contract that git provides and the tools that github/gitlab/etc. provide.

After chapter 3, the advice you should live by is: Make a topic branch off of master for each and every distinct bugfix, enhancement, feature, etc. Give the topic branch a short and sweet name that reminds you what it’s about, and never combine two disparate ideas in one topic branch, because there will come a day when you will wish they were separate branches.

Paraphrasing everyone anyone has ever said about Git: fuck you.

2 Likes

:point_up_2: Someone who does not understand the git object model.

4 Likes

Forgot one of my constraints: this isn’t for me. I need to get ~10 coder-ish people up to speed on it, and they are not all equally enthusiastic :expressionless:

Too bad. For someone being paid to write software in 2020, Git mastery is an absolute requirement. If someone doesn’t know it, they’re unqualified for the job. Tell them to learn it or else you’ll find someone else. Someone unenthusiastic about learning new technologies is someone you don’t want or need on your team.

You wouldn’t hire a carpenter who didn’t know how to use a hammer.

2 Likes

Teach a git class to your coworkers. Chapter 2 should be the first class: the basics. Chapter 3 the second class: the object model. The third class is specific to your setup: how they should be using github/gitlab, an overview of distributed workflows, and using topic branches. That is where you explain how and why your group is doing things this way.

Luke and Apreche, a play in 1 act:

4 Likes

All I could focus on while reading that was that the man in the grey suit looks like John Hodgman.

1 Like

What’s a good program to check the temp in my computer? I want to see if overheating is causing it to shut down and restart when I’m running a game.

Background: Recently my PC has been restarting when I run a game. Not always either. I first noticed it when I tried to use Discord, streaming and chatting in separate instances, on my second display. Today it happened with just a game and the discord chat running in a separate monitor. It doesn’t happen with all games, I’ve played low-rez or older games without issue, but more recent ones or older ones that are graphics heavy cause problems.

There’s no problems with normal browsing or watching a movie/show/youtube video with both monitors running. This just happens (for now at least) when I run games.

My first guess is overheating and second is that my PC can’t handle two monitors while gaming. I’m leaning towards the two monitors, my primary is a 4K and my GPU barely covers it, but I want to double check that it isn’t also an overheating issue.

HwMonitor same authors as CPU-Z is a good one

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation.

It didn’t seem to be a temp issue but a power one. My GPU is a GTX 970 and it can barely support a 4K display. I switched over to my not-4K monitor and everything was fine until it wasn’t. My current PSU is 650 W, which should be enough but it is five+ years old at this point and it may be failing for some reason or have another internal issue. I ordered a new PSU (850 W) and I’ll see if that fixes the problem. Worse case scenario I have a PSU for a new rig.

Can someone recommend some good screen recording software?

Geforce experience can, if you have an nvidia gpu.

I haven’t personally used it but OBS is popular.

Yes, just use OBS. The same software you can use for streaming is also the best for recording.

1 Like

OBS is the best way.

I’ve got a linux server. The load on it is essentially zero.

Every hour at 12 minutes past, there’s a very short blip on the CPU load graph. Goes from ~0 to 2-3% or so, and immediately back down. Disk IO and network usage show a little bump at the same time.

I’ve watched htop during that time, I see the CPU graph go up to 80+% for a second or two, and then back down to 0. No individual process in the list goes above 1%.

Sorting ps -ef by cpu time says nothing is burning up the CPU. The only thing even above zero is fail2ban.

I can see no crons scheduled at that time.

What’s going on?

Could be a hidden cron? Lots of Linuxes these days have several crontabs. Individual users can even have personal crontabs.

Also, what services are running on it? For example, a database server might be running some vacuuming/indexing type of thing.

I would look for any systemd timers or anything in /etc/crontab. atop might also help, as that can log performance information and uses kernel-level monitoring, which might show processes that are difficult to catch with htop.

Oh, there’s also a very small chance that something is running with atd, which was sort of the precursor to cron.