Computer advice thread ("What's the best way to do this?")

The problem with Google Drive is the other person needs a Google account, and you need to pay for the space on Google Drive. Firefox send gives you a link that you can send to anyone.

Nah, you can make a public link. I’ve done this many times.

1 Like

You can definitely make share links that don’t require that.

Like read the comic, the beginning line is “you want your cousin to send you a file?”

none of the people in this are nerds except the one being asked for advice.

Oooh. Fascinating.

That’s… been there from day one. It ain’t even a new feature.

The ability to make share links that don’t require a google account are useless to me when my dad is calling me up from CT asking how to send a 50+mb Outlook .pst file to my mom at work.

1 Like

Firefox Send has end-to-end encryption. That’s pretty cool.

Given the “quality” of Firefox I’m very suspect of any encryption implementation.

1 Like

What “quality”? Firefox is an excellent browser.

Do you use Firefox? You already trust their crypto implementation on every TLS site you visit.

2 Likes

Testing problems with a co-workers pc that seemed to have some crashes complaining about either memory or pagefile issues. Eventually we just turned off the pagefile, and it may be working (not long enough or involved enough of a test). I’m inclined to assume then that the issue is the old SSD inside it is the point of failure. Agree/Disagree? Second question after that is what’s “the good way” to clone a drive over? For my personal stuff anything relevant is on my external with backups, so I always just clean format and reinstall my main machine, so I havn’t used acronis or anything like that in years.

15 characters of Clonezilla

1 Like

If turning off file paging solves the problem, the problem is almost definitely IO on the disk(s) that had the page file(s). Turn paging back on on a different disk if you really want to test it.

As for cloning, I would never clone a disk again under any circumstances. Any corrupt data will be transferred to the clone. You can’t know until you try to access a file. If it’s an SSD that’s having IO issues, there are definitely already corrupted files somewhere. Never worth the risk.

At home, I disabled page files entirely for a while. I turned them back on because I only have 32GB of RAM and I never want to even consider dealing with an out-of-memory problem. But, if and when I upgrade to 64GB…

1 Like

FWIW, that last time I had an SSD start to exhibit IO issues, the following things were broken in Windows if you tried to use them (but there were no other symptoms).

• Windows Media Player
  • Calculator
  • Civ V
  • Windows Display Settings

Like, literally, these four applications would fail to launch with strange errors, and everything else was fine. A couple months later the drive just died entirely and wouldn’t boot.

1 Like

Failing SSDs definitely do some weird stuff, my first one had a memory bank go weird and anything in those 8GB would just fail to read sometimes.

I spend like 30% of my work day cloning disks and almost never do it with my personal stuff. The Microsoft .wim format is good for imaging Windows machines but I haven’t used it much since switching to Windows 10 because the clean install time is so fast.

1 Like

On the subject of hard drives, will a hard drive go into a low power mode or something if it’s not being used? Ever since I added a second SSD, the first time I use my mass storage spinning disk after the computer starts or wakes up it takes several seconds for it to get going.

Yes, that is exactly what happens. You can change the settings if you want. Otherwise the defaults on most PCs are to turn off the motors if the disk hasn’t been used in awhile.

One of the uses of cache like intel’s optane is that situation, the cache can potentially make that initial spin up less noticeable.

Okay good to know. I never really had it happen before because I was using that disk more often before I got the second SSD, so it never really spun down. Since it is mass storage only now its noticeable.

:thinking:

1 Like