Cola Wars (General Soft Beverage Thread)

Coldguy posted this video recently in TotD, which gave me the idea for this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTZOVAmvVoo

Confession time: I honestly cannot taste the difference between Coke and Pepsi. I suppose that there may be slight differences in their recipes, but they taste exactly the same to me. I’d love to hear the perspectives of anyone to describe in detail how they taste different, because I can’t for the life of me.

Also, use this thread to talk about any other soft beverage or soda (ginger ale, root beer, sparkling juice, etc.) and have a fun time.

To me, Coke has a much more molasses flavor than Pepsi, i cant stand Pepsi since it’s too sweet to me

I’m excited to see if the Squozen Cola holds up against the others. The algos must have been pushing this guy’s videos because I caught his start to replicating one of Coke’s original recopies (a 1880ish one iirc).

I can tell the difference between coke and pepsi, but it’s not huge, pepsi is a bit more sickly sweet to me. I’m not a huge soda drinker any more.

I did find an amazing Ginger Ale called Blenheim when I was in Seattle one year, it’s everything I never knew I wanted in a Ginger Ale. It’s hot and not too sweet. I love buying a case of them and giving them away as gifts to friends to see their shock when drinking it.

The difference between cane sugar Coca Cola and corn syrup Coca Cola is much bigger than the difference between Coca Cola and Pepsi.

For context to those who want to know the orgin of #squozen cola

https://youtu.be/IWYuPE8rkeE

Https://youtu.be/KWaNiwcQK2M

Bonus: I REALLY want to try this at some point, it sounds very good.

https://youtu.be/xJc_q1ZNv48

There is a big difference between Coke and Pepsi, but it’s rather odd because I find Pepsi to be less sweet than Coke but it seems most people find it the opposite. To me Pepsi definitely has a more noticeable background tartness. The difference is even more noticeable with cane sugar versions, which is all I drink when I do occasionally indulge. I have almost completely replaced sweet soda with fruit flavor seltzer water ala La Croix but I get the store brand.

I prefer Coke a bit to Pepsi, which I find to be almost cloyingly sweet.

All pale in comparison to the king of sodas, however:

1 Like

Still never had a Movie before, not available in my neck of the woods.

Really? Pennsylvania and New England are like the last few holdouts where it is available.

Even in New England it’s not super available. Very rarely have i seen it in Mass

I see it all the time in Star/Shaws and Stop and Shop. You pretty much have to be at a supermarket to find it unless you find a truly ancient corner store. Like, not Cumbies, but the ones that are basically just pakies with chips.

I don’t drink a lot of soda, but I do work with foreign people. There is a strong consensus across three continents that at home Coke > Pepsi, but in the US, Pepsi > Coke.

I wonder if one day there will be an assault on the sugar industry for poisoning everyone the same way there has been against tobacco and opioid and fossil fuel industries.

2 Likes

I absolutely hate Coke and Pepsi, though and not a soda fan in general. I do enjoy Rocky Mountain sodas, Boylan sodas, NuGrape (which I miss a bit), and a few others I am failing to recall.

I can tell the difference, prefer Coke by a wide margin. Especially when you get it in a restaurant, the syrup mix for Pepsi always seems to be wrong. To me it’s not so much that Pepsi is sweeter, it’s that it tastes artificial, like diet products do.

These days, I prefer juices if I feel the need for sweet drinks, but for hangover recovery, nothing beats Coca-Cola.

Regarding flavor differences, in the US at least,

Coke → Orange
Pepsi → Lemon

Karma cola does the best ginger ale. The best.

I like ginger beer more than ginger ale. It has a stronger flavor since the ginger is fermented.

Cock 'n Bull is a classic soda packed with ginger flavor. (They also make flavored tonic water.)

Another good one is Reed’s since it’s made with all-natural ingredients.

1 Like

I love me a Moxie. There’s a theatre in Rome that carries it. I go there for old movies and weird off off broadway productions of shows, I can never resist getting one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHL0e6fKaqo

I found a place that sells Moxie today, apparently you need to go to Loli and Pop to pick it up.

1 Like