Chess

Magnus lost a game.

Snaps his record streak of 125 games. His first (standard time control) L in over 2 years. 42-0-83.

The candidates tournament is scheduled to restart on April 19, more than a year after they suspended it.

No word on Radjabov, who qualified originally, but withdrew over COVID concerns. They filled his spot and proceeded with the tournament. Well, half of it anyway. Seems like he has a pretty legitimate beef.

The world #6:

A M E R I A * power rankings:

1. America
  2. Armenia

More like Leave-on

2 Likes

Candidates tournament is back!

1 Like

A Pair of interesting Chess adjacent videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kQrBa2XOg4

1 Like

And Radjabov is in the 2022 candidates tournament:

Fair.

Stockfish is suing chessbase over GPL violations:

developers of Stockfish have terminated their GPL license with ChessBase permanently. However, ChessBase is ignoring the fact that they no longer have the right to distribute Stockfish, modified or unmodified, as part of their products.

Thus, to enforce the consequences of the license termination, we have filed a lawsuit.

We believe we have the evidence, the financial means and the determination to bring this lawsuit to a successful end.

Pretty spicy!

I like it. It reminds me of stating settlement placement in Catan, only with two players.

3 Likes

It does feel interesting for regular humans. But for grandmasters, move 3 is still in the opening book for every useful opening. I wonder if it wouldn’t matter much for them.

I’d like to see more tournaments using Fischer Random Chess:

Make the game more about skill and creativity instead of memorized openings.

1 Like

I just like the idea in general, and not just specific to chess.

Think about any game where players take turns in order, and the order does not change. Which is a whole lot of games.

What if you played Monopoly, but the turn order was 1,2,3,4,4,3,2,1,1,2,3… throughout the entire game?

What if you played a CCG like this? Magic: the Gathering would be pretty shocking for player two to just untap their lands and take the third turn as well.

Are there any games that fully use a snake turn mechanic?

Fantasy football draft comes to mind, but that’s just pre season.

I can’t think of any. Snake turns just tend to be used for setup. like Catan. Most games that have turns, and try to design around the turn order problem, come up with some other solution. For example, how Power Grid changes turn order based on who has the most cities.

A lot of games solve this by having a round/turn structure.

One player takes the first turn in Round One, and then the other player takes the first turn in Round Two, and it keeps alternating back and forth.

The world championship starts in 15 days. I’m tempted to run a poor man’s salty bet (i.e., spreadsheet) if there’s interest.

Magnus won a game.