Cameras and Such

I’m still running the original Canon Rebel. A film camera without any of the nice tactile film camera feel…

Back from my Florida trip. Did a photoshoot of a cool red biplane that has an engine we supplied installed. I’m not that much of a photographer but I’m kinda forced into this and it’s a fun challenge but I need to get more knowledge to really do more, I think. So the video I took air-to-air in the morning from my Lumix is almost unusable from shake, because of all the bumping and the windblast of being in essentially a flying canoe. I have maybe a few seconds here and there I can clean up in post. I’m really sad that we diddn’t get a chance to do a second flight in the chase plane because around lunch the stores were finally open and we wound up getting the Released-That-Day Hero 7 Black. I’m really glad we did, because right out of the box, first attempt, mounted out on the wing of our target airplane, up doing loops and rolls… well just check it out:

https://youtu.be/j9fUoxLREy0

I have to see how it does in some other contexts but I gotta think for the context that’s really quite good raw footage.

2 Likes

Guy managed to get 600+ FPS out of an RPi camera:
http://blog.robertelder.org/recording-660-fps-on-raspberry-pi-camera/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gMy8k4nHtw

1 Like

The camera I own and use the most is the Fuji X100F. It’s significantly better than a phone camera, but small enough to carry around all the time. The 35mm prime lens is great for all-around daily city situations. The built-in flash actually doesn’t suck if you have to use it. Really, it’s all about the hybrid optical/digital viewfinder.

Anyway, they are releasing a new version, the X100V. It has some features I want, like tilty (not flippy) screen. Weather resistance (not on the lens, though), new sensor, new lens. Still not enough to make it worth upgrading, even if I sell my X100F to offset the price. I’ll probably wait another 3 years for the X100Z or whatever it is.

However, I would highly recommend the X100V to people who meet the following description:

You take a lot of photos, care about photography, would carry a camera most days, and want something that’s actually better than a phone camera.

You have enough money. You could just buy a phone with an amazing camera instead.

You already own, or don’t need, an interchangeable lens camera. I have the GH5 for those situations I need to do something special like macro, video, big zoom, ultra wide, etc. But carrying that every day, even with a small lens, is not great.

1 Like

I have several old film cameras with no light meters. I also have some with meters, but they aren’t necessarily the best. One of the cameras in the example video is one I own. I do have a handheld meter, but it is very cumbersome outside of a studio environment. This is such a game changer if it actually delivers, I can’t not back it. I also want to make sure this guy gets paid if several other companies come out and copy the idea. Although, I DO want several companies to copy the idea and improve upon it.

Have been annoyed at Canon for many little things, such as no webcam support for their cameras.

All it took was…

https://a.pgtb.me/JCHJp2

That’s the official Canon link to their beta software. Allows you to use your Canon dSLR as a webcam.

Yeah, I see no reason that other camera companies can’t do this. My GH5 and goPro have USB-C outputs. Why do I need a capture card to use them as webcams?

1 Like

When digital camcorders first came out, basically all digital cameras were also webcams.

Then that stopped being a thing for some reason.

Taxes. In the EU, anything that can record over 30 minutes of video is classified as a video camera for import tax purposes. I haven’t been in the camera market for a while, so I don’t know if it’s still in effect.

So all the SLRs can record up to 29 minutes 59 seconds. Great.

https://www.tested.com/tech/photography/44445-why-digital-cameras-have-a-30-minute-video-recording-limit/

I don’t know what the situation is in the EU, but that hasn’t been the case in a long time. DSLRs with video features have had unlimited recording for years. They’re either paying the tax in the EU, the law changed, or they have different models for the EU market.

Oh, I actually know the answer to this. It was something I kept an eye on(and for more than 29 minutes and 59 seconds at a time) for number of reasons, and it’s the World Trade Organization’s Information Technology Agreement.

In 2015, they included a huge number of products under the ITA, and also phased out the majority of their tariffs by July the following year, with almost all of the rest also expiring within the last few years, and the last few hangers on under the agreements having tariffs removed last year. Cameras were included in the 2016 excise cuts. Fun facts, it’s also part of why consoles were region-locked, and why they’re not anymore - not the whole reason, but part of it.

It largely slipped by unnoticed, but a bunch of stuff was included, ranging from MRI electromagnets, to optically clear LCD adhesives, Digital flight-data recorders, certain CNC equipment and forges for circuit boards, and even, weirdly enough, telecom sats.

Edit: AH! I knew I had it around somewhere. I still had the old Expansion declaration in a dusty corner of my hard drive. Here it is, in all it’s incredibly dry glory. One little oddity - Pocket Radio-cassette players. And you thought the walkman went out with the 90s.

1 Like

That sounds like a step in the right direction. It used to be (seems like still is somewhat?) basically every prosumer SLR.

Canon T7i: 30 minutes
Nikon D3500: 30 minutes
Sony A6000: 30 minutes

Want to get weird?
Olympus E-M10 Mark III: 30 minutes
Pentax K-70: 25 minutes

Panasonic GH4/5 have no limit.

Not sure what a 30 minute~ record limit has to do with enabling a digital camera to be used as a webcam.

Did I miss something?

Also, dSLRs are typically used with external video recorders for video recording. As dSLRs typically aren’t designed well for video recording. Software + hardware.

That’s what camcorders are for.

Also, it’s not like you can sell a webcam as a standalone video recorder. Webcams simply stream video, no store.

Yeah, I’m not sure what the connection is either.

While external recorders are used often, especially in pro settings. DSLRs have been frequently used for video for many years now. Their larger sensors and smaller sizes give them certain advantages over camcorders.

A webcam’s not too useful if it turns off every 30 minutes.

Yes, the S1H can be used with an external recorder. However, it also has 4:2:2 10 bit internal recording with no time limit, so…

I almost bought some software last month for €70 to do exactly what this canon program will do. I’m glad I didn’t splash out on that now.

2 Likes

Yeah. My camcorder has a smaller sensor. Its advantages are mostly in usability, not quality.

I have built-in dual XLR, multiple shoes, an extremely versatile lens, build-in ND filters, removable IR filter, comfortable grips for long shoots, etc… But it won’t have the image or color quality that Scott’s DSLR has.