Cameras and Such

Good. Kill it with fire.

Current Lightroom will probably be killed years from now, so I don’t trust it enough to keep it in my main pipeline long-term.

I expect I’ll just use the new one and start from scratch with an entirely new photo pipeline.

I still use Lightroom 3, which I bought when it came out, and I’ve not paid Adobe any money since. Can I still use that?

Yes. The only concern you should have is if you get a new camera one day that makes RAW files in a format that is newer than what Lightroom 3 supports. I know you have a Mac, so your other concern should be if OSX updates itself and Lightroom 3 doesn’t work anymore.

The images from my 80D already don’t work in Lightroom 3. Thankfully Adobe has a Raw to DNG converter which is free, and then allows me to edit the images in Lightroom 3. As far as I can tell, Lightroom 3 works on High Sierra, with a few cosmetic and dialogue box issues.

Ah, that’s nice of them. I know lots of them offer their own free raw processing programs, like Panasonic offers SILKYPIX. But nobody wants to use that crap. I do know some cameras that actually make DNG in their camera directly. That is fucking awesome, but rare.

O crap, butt load of updates to download!

I hope Lightroom CC is a vast improvement. I may actually use it.

So Adobe fucked up.

People who pay almost nothing and just get Lightroom/Photoshop get 1TB of storage. People like me who pay $50+ a month to get all the apps are limited to 100GB.

I contacted their chat support and also @AdobeCare on Twitter for help with this. They said there is no way to update storage. Others are pasting chats that say Adobe ran out of storage, which really makes you think twice about putting your photos on there if it is true.

Then someone found out that on the page where you change plans there are actually hidden options if you click these tiny arrows. There IS a creative cloud all-apps plan that has 1TB+ of storage.Thing is, it is $10+ more a month than what I pay now. WTF is up with that shit?

And if that wasn’t bad enough, I can’t even login to adobe’s web site right now. There is an error on the login screen. I think they did not anticipate the popularity of this new Lightroom.

EDIT: There are no threads on the adobe forum about the login being down (it’s been down for hours) because nobody can login!

Trying out the photo gallery.

Panasonic has just announced the G9. It’s basically a GH5, but focused on photo instead of video. First micro 4/3 camera I’ve seen that has the LCD on top of the camera like the DSLRs do.

1 Like

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/reflexcamera/reflex-bringing-back-the-analogue-slr-camera/description

I mean, it’s cool for someone to make an analog 35mm camera in 2017. I like that. What I don’t like is the price. For that money you can just get a Canon A1/AE1/F1 or a Nikon F3 on eBay plus a bunch of lenses and batteries and accessories for either.

I’m looking at professional video cameras. I want to replace my old 1080p60 prosumer camcorder (probably relegating it to an audience-cam for panels).

I don’t need something that’s also a good photography camera. My GX1 is more than capable of doing anything I want to do photographically. Thus, I’m not really interested in hacking together something with a DSLR body.

I want dual-SD cards, 4k, dual XLR input, and all the basic niceties of a real camcorder (e.g., good ring controls). Something roughly in the same class as this guy:

https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-HC-X1-Ultra-Professional-Camcorder/dp/B01LANDWE6/

Still doing my research. This won’t just be for panel videos.

Insane photo news going down at Photokina 2018.

Panasonic is coming out with two full frame mirrorless cameras using Leica L mount. So now Canon, Nikon, and Panasonic are all going to war with SONY. They are putting out some firmware updates for the GH5 series, but is this the beginning of the end for micro 4/3? Oh no.

Meanwhile Fuji is blasting out the medium format digital cameras. One is a rangefinder. They also have the first f/1.0 lens with autofocus for the X series.

The specs on all of these things are insane. I don’t need any of them.

My only hope is that if Micro 4/3 dies out, that a lot of gear goes on the market for cheap. Too bad I already own every possible bit of micro 4/3 stuff I could ever need. I guess if the cameras themselves become much much cheaper I could get extras. Daddy two.

Maybe it won’t die, though. Haven’t heard anything from Olympus.

2 Likes

I’m currently fed up with my 550d. I’m at the limits of what this old ass sensor can do. I need some of that full frame action already.

…for cheap :cry:

Canon 5D mark 1 or 2 is full frame on the cheap.

Also, 35mm film. You can develop a lot of film for the price of a full frame digital camera.

I know how you feel, I’m still running an EOS 400D, the original “Digital Rebel” model.

1 Like

Funny y’all start talking about cameras and now I’m just finding out today that I need to go down to Florida for the weekend and do some air-to-air video as well as interviews and capture POV and such about a customer’s aircraft that he’s been flying.

I have one GoPro Session and my Lumix G7. Tempted to get a second GoPro so I can do a head cam plus a wing cam, and I really kinda wish I had a second video camera for ground work when doing interviews and walkarounds. Also wish I had a gimbal for walkarounds. Now, I’ll bring my mini fluid head tripod and field recorder but gotta travel light at the end of the day.

I also wish I knew at all what I was doing and had more time to prep.

Panasonic says they are committed to the future of Micro 4/3 and also L-mount. That might sound like it’s all talk, except…

Panasonic announced a 10-25 (20-50) f/1.7 zoom lens for Micro 4/3. That would be the world’s fastest zoom lens. They had it in a glass case and nobody could actually try it or anything. It will likely be unaffordable. My 12-35 f/2.8 was expensive and will be just fine, hopefully forever.

1 Like

o damn. My condolences.

Eh, it’s not the worst thing, it’s still a good camera. Having to work with it’s limitations has helped make me a better photographer, and I can work around a lot of the issues by shooting to raw and editing after. But, like yourself, I find that I’m increasingly running right up on the limits of the now decade-old sensor, and it’s starting to get a little frustrating.

A camera that has Lightroom in it. Why did it take so long?

2 Likes