Booh yah! Show me your moves!

I made my first person ragequit a reddit thread! (I mostly lurk there)

Finally got an interview! Hopefully this will go well!

5 Likes

Since I have to move I was looking for an apartment. Saw one this morning in the most popular Craigs-list type of website in austria. Visited late in the afternoon and its fantastic, comes with a kitchen including dishwasher and stove, a walk-in wardrobe, parking space out front, the cellar space that comes with it is furnished with a bunch of closets so you can store stuff without dust getting in too much, and it fits perfectly into my price range. I thought about it and talked it over with a close friend right after, then immediately called back asking for a draft of the rental agreement.

1 Like

Hope we donā€™t see a post next week about a cockroach infestation. Good luck!

Thank you, but the place seemed extremely clean. Also I canā€™t move in until August 1st anyway.

Iā€™ll document everything before moving there just to ensure myself about how things look before I move in, and will probably post the images here for the before and after when I complete the move and have my stuff set up.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I didnā€™t have to go through a real estate agent, which also saves me a bunch of money compared to other apartments I was looking at.

I get to start summer vacation tomorrow night! Iā€™m not looking forward to hauling my bike on a busy summer Chinese train, but at least itā€™s not a traditional holiday. Once thatā€™s done with, Iā€™ve got ~6 weeks to bum around Hokkaido and Tohoku on said bike, and probably a bit around Nagoya/Gifu and Osaka to visit friends.

I am out of Japan till the 4th of August but if your in Gifu/Nagoya give me a shout and we can grab a beer.

Iā€™ll probably be down that way around the 20th, so that sounds like a plan. We could even go haul stones up the mountain if itā€™s in time for that festival.

1 Like

I just got these lapel pins in the mail today to put on the collar of my new jacket. Those who have read the Wheel of Time know exactly what these are. (The squares on the table are 1", for scale.)

2 Likes

Someone who lives just a few blocks away posted online they were selling a real aeron chair for just $200. I have a great chair at home, but at work the chair is crap. They are definitely not going to buy me a new one at work. I figured for $200 itā€™s probably broken or smells bad, but thatā€™s still more comfy than the crap at the office.

I went to pick up the chair just now. Some dude moving to California couldnā€™t take it with him. Itā€™s basically in perfect shape. He could have easily sold it for $400. Itā€™s very clean, everything works, and the mesh isnā€™t even damaged at all.

Gonna bring it to the office and put a big label on it. Property of Scott Rubin.

5 Likes

My desk chair at home is an aeron I got insanely cheap from craigslist, and itā€™s still in perfect condition 7-8 years later. Itā€™s better than any chair at any office Iā€™ve ever used.

Most of the ones I see on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace are like $400+

Does ABCD mean you only teach four days a week? AND you donā€™t work in the summer?

Iā€™d had block scheduling too, we were appearently one of the first school districts to adopt it.

Christ I hated that crap back in high school.

:fist_right:

That owns. I love the UofR and almost did a masters there (decided to get a job for some reason (money) instead).

Is there anything stopping you from justā€¦ using the metal lab? I donā€™t know what Iā€™d do in an optics or culinary lab but a metal lab Iā€™d use all day. Itā€™d be nice to weld without constantly tripping my breaker.

My school had a six day rotating schedule. It made sense in that there were seven periods, six of which rotated (fifth period was always the same because of lunch scheduling), so you kinda got into a routine of what order your classes were in and whatever the last class was yesterday was the first class today.

I also remember my high school adopting block scheduling for the first time. Donā€™t remember if it was the rotating kind or something else. It was often bad for lecture classes (not least because the teachers werenā€™t used to it either, and would lecture through the entire time.) But for any ā€œlab workā€ class (including art), the longer periods were amazing.

Congrats.

My school had 8 45-minute periods (and an optional 9th period for some things like Driverā€™s Ed or Jazz Band).

There was no lunch. Just three periods where, if you wanted to, you could schedule lunch. Other than a handful of electives, almost all classes were full-year so nothing ever rotated or changed once the school year started.

It definitely forced lesson plans to be succinct.

1 Like

My high school didnā€™t adopt block scheduling until long after I graduated. So when I was there we had the standard 7 45-minute periods with 25 minutes or so in the middle of the day for lunch.

The way we handled lab work classes was to have two 45-minute periods scheduled back-to-back on lab days. It worked out reasonably well. Generally, those lab periods were scheduled opposite classes that were not everyday classes, such as phys ed, in order to balance out the schedules.