Booh yah! Show me your moves!

I accept that such is the case, I just don’t grok the desire for such things.

I would say me neither…

Except I was looking back through some video camera footage from a juggling convention I went to in 2000. I didn’t realise at the time, or in all the years since, that I recorded my first ever words and the first part of the first ever conversation I had with Ben Beever, an amazing juggler I admired. We became good friends over the years, and performed and juggled together, breaking and setting world records. Then a few years ago he died suddenly by falling off a balcony.

So finding that footage from 2000 on this video tape a few months ago was really meaningful to me. I’m not saying everyone should get a record of every new person they interact with, but who knows what any new person is going to mean to you in the future?

Yeah, you became friends and colleagues. That is different and drives at my point. Friends and family know the person, not just the work and the persona. Consumers of the work only know the work and/or the persona but feel a need to have a bit of the person. It is weird to me that we want a bit of the person if they do a given job/make a given thing, but not people who do more mundane jobs that may have even greater impacts on a person’s life and well being (teachers, doctors, transportation workers who literally take us to where we need to be, sanitation workers that help prevent the spreading of disease, etc.)

@Greg It is a question of emotional investment of entertainment/art/knowing a person’s name versus emotional investment in the people who do less glamorous jobs in relative anonymity. I am an artist (actor, writer, singer, composer, and harpist) who was raised in family with multiple generations of artists. I understand the profound impact of art just as well as I understand that sometimes even more profound impact of the daily grind contributing to the well being of an individual and/or a society. It is not that I do not see the value in one and not the other, it is that I see great value in both, but also separate the person from the art - as they are not the same thing to my mind (a debate/discussion for another thread). As a well known trumpeter and band leader who played for royalty, presidents, and dignitaries - my grandfather was often asked for autographs. As an actor, director, and singer well known in his region, he was sometimes asked for autographs. As a WWII navy vet who served and was wounded in the Pacific, he was never asked for his autograph. As a young, poor Irish kid raised outside of Chicago by printer who took over his father’s business, grew it into a power-house print marketing business, and modernized it to keep it not only alive but thriving, he ensured helped many local, regional, and national business were properly marketed to ensure how many employees had jobs - yet no autographs then. As a boss who daily kept a roll of pennies in his pocket and would not go home from work until he had given out one positive comment to an employee for each penny, no one asked for his autograph. As a father who took on two jobs so that his wife wouldn’t have to take on a second job to ensure that his two children and his aging mother could live comfortably and have a middle-class existence when all he knew was an Irish immigrant childhood during the great depression in a family of six boys, no one asked for his autograph. As a man who sang for free at every funeral at his Church, started a youth musical theater program in the 80s with no funding except his own retirement savings in the under served and crime ridden downtown Tampa that is still going today (18 years after his death), and was active in getting media attention for his local VA hospital when it was under funded and did not have the facilities to take care of Vietnam vets, etc. no one asked for his autograph. Compare all of these things - is his trumpet playing, acting, directing, and singing really the stuff that should induce strong emotional reactions? My point is not that art cannot be of great and profound value, but rather that we as a culture seem to place the arts/entertainment/known names (counterintuitively, based on our unwillingness to fund art and art education) on a pedestal while simultaneously undervaluing people who do other jobs or are not famous.

Braggadocio aside, your argument rests on a false notion that gestures like autographs are some sort of ultimate reward. When one is reaching thousands of people, the superficial gesture of an autograph is apt because it is all the time the famous person can devote to an individual fan. When focused on smaller scale, often more noble actions, individuals can give back more. If I met Bruce Springsteen, I would want a signed record, I wouldn’t be able to explain to him the profound effect he had on me in high school grappling with depression. Kristy Garvey, my 10th grade English teacher who played an equally pivotal role in me still being alive, doesn’t have the same demands and so she gets that more valuable reward.

I get what you’re saying about culture and fame, but I don’t get why you need to feel better than others because you don’t have the emotional reaction they do.

I think you are completely missing key understanding of what makes celebrity and what makes people megastars in your reasoning. I’m not sure if you really don’t understand this genuinely, or do understand it but are intentionally dismissing entire classifications of human thought and behaviour, just to make a moral or political point.

No, @Greg, it does not. It is not an ultimate goal. I never said that nor implied it. You conflated having an “emotional reaction” to seeking an autograph, and it was to that conflation I was speaking. Edit: It ain’t braggin’ if its true. Also, they aren’t my accomplishments, they are his. I used him as an example because I know the details of his life.

@lukeburrage From an academic sociological, anthropological, and psychological standpoint, I understand celebrity. As you say in not so many words, I find it to be a base and unhealthy practice on an individual level as well as a societal level that is far too normalized in modern culture; however, I feel the same way about much of the way organized religion (another aspect of the human experience with which I cannot personally relate, but I understand from an academic perspective) functions in modern culture.

I have never seen any phenomenon but that.[quote=“Kate_Monster, post:46, topic:54”]It ain’t braggin’ if its true
It’s bragging if it’s needless.

That’s a real pity.

Save your pity and your condescension. This is a subject I have long studied and pondered. Having a different perspective on a societal norm based on very real evidence of how it harms, distracts, and damages individuals as well as society at large is not a pity, it is simply a different value structure.

@Greg, this is the Booyah thread. It is meant for self-bragging. Beyond that, I wasn’t. As I said above, I used my grandfather as an example because I know his life’s details. I used him as an example to explain my point. You are assuming I take any measure of credit for his actions or worth by association. I don’t. He is he, and I am me.

I run an audio drama workshop from time to time at conventions and this last instance went great!

After patiently waiting for several months and just dealing with burn out, my work finally selected me to go train in Colorado for a month from mid-May to mid-June.

I’m so excited. I needed this break. I love training and it’s to people who actually want to be trained.

I’m really looking forward to the edible scene there. I have high expectations. (PUN TOTALLY FUCKING INTENDED)

A hotel that I stayed at last year recently sent me an email offering half price rooms all spring. (Off-season for the White Mountains in NH.) So I totally jumped on that and am spending this weekend at an awesome Nordic-themed resort in Jackson, NH for far cheaper even than I paid last time I stayed at a Super 8. I’m excited for a weekend of driving the Kancamagus Highway and Crawford Notch hunting for geocaches. Last time I was up there, I discovered an abandoned Tin Mine while caching, so I’m looking forward to seeing what I run into this time.

Edit: If anyone is interested, I may put together a geocaching thread/album to provide some exposure for the best hobby.

As of Friday I’m officially and RIT grad in Electrical Engineering. Well, technically it’s not official until the paperwork gets finished for my co-op from two years ago, but close enough.

I just gave a strong interview for a job I deeply want. I am cautiosly optimistic about it.

I made this a couple of weeks ago.

A couple of years ago I heard the instrumental and, right at the beginning, it samples “BASS” from “Bring the Noise”. Since I fucking love that song and know it forward to back, it basically cemented the lyrics of it to this instrumental in my brain. So, every time I would listen to the instrumental, I would inevitably start singing “Bring the Noise” along with it. This is me making my brain’s remix real.

The Bad News: I didn’t get the paralegal position at the Volunteer Lawyers Project’s new Immigration Defense Office.

The Good News: They want me for a higher position, as the Office Manager. I’ll be setting up the new office!

You’re overqualified for basically every job you’ve ever had, so this is exciting.

As of last night, I am the best small plastic space mans player in Peterborough. (Or at least the best that bothered to show up to the only hobby store there.)

Nice. How many people showed up? Are you actually going to go to worlds?

There were only eight of us, it’s not one of the store’s bigger games sadly. This being a store championship, the bye is for a regional, and I’ll definitely be going to at least one of those.

I would like to travel over to visit the FFG mothership for worlds at some point over the next couple of years, but if I do that I’m more likely to be playing X-wing unless there’s some way I can crowbar both games in.