Booh yah! Show me your moves!

Passed my insurance licencing exam so I get to continue my employment!

So I just got promoted, which is awesome.

My new job means that now I am in the room when platform decisions are made and software diagrams are drawn.

With this position comes travel. Unbelievably, I may be living down under for like 8 months next year. It’s very much in the air, but being young and not tied down and an expert in what we do I’m the obvious choice for this. That thing I always though myself inferior for (not having to travel for my job) is-a-changin’

The past couple years at work I’ve technically been a contractor, but today I just signed the paperwork to become a proper employee! This means a major raise and I no longer have to be on my parents insurance!

I don’t mean to double post but this travel thing is getting really real really fast, it’s growing in specificity. Went from “maybe australia” to “exactly sidney” from “maybe a few months” to “start at 9 months” and “some time next year” to “when I had to come to NY, it all happened in 2 weeks so just be ready”

Holy shit guys, I may be moving like really really soon. I may have to set up my VPN to my parents house in a hurry to keep my US steam sales.

[quote=“Naoza, post:64, topic:54”]
Holy shit guys, I may be moving like really really soon. I may have to set up my VPN to my parents house in a hurry to keep my US steam sales.
[/quote]Wat. The sales are exactly the same. And you don’t lose access to anything on your account.

Also, welcome! If you come up to Brisbane, I’ll show you around, and as always you are very welcome to join the PAXAUS crew in Melbourne. If you need a hand with anything, I’m sure we’ll all be happy to tell you whatever we know.

I thought that steam prices were super high in Australia for like no reason. If I’m misinformed, all the better. If I end up in Sidney you bet your arse I’ll be joining the PAXAUS crew in Melbourne.

I’m almost certain I’ll need help almost the moment something doesn’t work the way it does in the states.

I’m already at the point of checking the weather and comparing. Doesn’t seem like you guys get any snow, which boo. But plus side the month of February this year Sidney was never what I consider to be “too hot” and it just seems like it’s just generally a nice place to live, and a city.

Hell I can just post hoc this and say I’m getting out of the US while crazy people rule.

[quote=“Naoza, post:66, topic:54”]
I thought that steam prices were super high in Australia for like no reason. If I’m misinformed, all the better. If I end up in Sidney you bet your arse I’ll be joining the PAXAUS crew in Melbourne.
[/quote]It used to be real fucking bad, but it varies from publisher to publisher these days. Some fuck you - Activision, EA, we’re looking at you - but most will give a reasonable-ish price. The place they get you is that they tend to give you the US price(or slightly above) in US dollars, so you spend $60 USD, it ends up being more like $80AUD. You end up being real good at doing rough currency conversion between USD and AUD in your head.

I’m almost certain I’ll need help almost the moment something doesn’t work the way it does in the states.
[/quote]First hot tip - I don’t know how you’re getting paid or who is doing the paying, but nobody does payroll by cheque here. It’s all direct deposit. Your routing number is called your BSB number. Every bank’s cards are chip and pin with paywave, and cash only shops are rare, but food carts and trucks will often still be cash only.

I’m already at the point of checking the weather and comparing. Doesn’t seem like you guys get any snow, which boo. But plus side the month of February this year Sidney was never what I consider to be “too hot” and it just seems like it’s just generally a nice place to live, and a city.
[/quote]It’s hotter than you think - the numbers tell one side of the story, but it’s something else when you feel it. If you want snow, you’ll have to truck out to somewhere like Threadbo, Mt Bueller(Anyone, buller), and Fall’s Creek. But I wouldn’t bother, snow is weird anyway.

If I end up in Sidney you bet your arse I’ll be joining the PAXAUS crew in Melbourne.
[/quote]Just be warned, we do get into a a little bit. I’m sure someone could correct me, but I’m pretty sure that last PAX, we went drinking four days out of a three day convention.

I got a new job! $$$

It’s in downtown SF, so I’ll probably be moving from the South Bay within a few months. Hopefully to a place where I can start adopting cats.

The line for the panel reached capacity and had to be capped. IT HAD TO BE CAPPED.
And multiple youtube subcribers came!
And then someone came up afterwards and was all “I didn’t know what to expect when I got in line for this panel, but I was blown away by how professional and entertaining and educational it was”.

I’m just- I was feeling pretty unsure of why I was doing any of this for a while. But I’m totally okay with this. People like this and they’re learning and having fun and that’s pretty fucking great. I know you shouldn’t rely on validation or whatever but, shit, it does feel good now and then.

I finally got to use the money I saved up working in the mines for an apartment. It has way more space than anywhere I lived before, I can see the city from my kitchen and friendly magpies come and visit balcony.

Makes those few years working in the middle of nowhere seem worthwhile.

My job is even cooler than I expected. It is basically acting as a public defender for any low-income immigrant with an ICE case in Erie county. The threshold to get free legal service from our group is so inclusive that we will be on most ICE cases where the defendant does not otherwise have representation. FINALLY, I’ll be doing work that helps people and doesn’t just serve corporate profits. It is a pay cut, but it is so, so worth it.

So in addition to the new job I mentioned earlier, apparently the head of the security team at the company I’m going to saw my resume at the beginning of the week and decided to try to get me to join his team instead.

So I guess I work in infosec now.
So that’s nice.

This isn’t so much my accomplishment as it is really fortuitous timing, but the new job I took, which I began this week, is implementing a paid family leave program for 2018 (it isn’t full salary, but it is decent). One must work at least 20 hours a week for 26 weeks before one is eligible. My due date falls exactly 26 weeks from now. So as long as the baby isn’t early, I will have a better paid leave program rather than relying on short term disability. If the baby is early, I can take disability for a couple of weeks, come back and finish up the 26 weeks, and then take paid family.

I am just amazed that the timing works out so well. Smudge, you better stay in there until your due date!

A lot of awesome fucking things coming together in my life. Today was a SUPER FUCKING AWESOME SURPRISE.

A few know, but I will let all know once I figure out all the details.

Lasted a round of boxing against my coach who turns out used to be a pro in Tokyo. I only learn this after getting punched in the head twelve times. Also had a great party at one of my Kindergartens and now have a raging hangover.

In the past three weeks, I have written and tested out an 80 page long roleplaying game called BLACKOUT, a game where you play female civil defense workers in the Blitz. And, short a few illustrations, it’s done!

I’m super proud of the look I achieved. It’s got a full-colour interior, and all the art is colourized and stylized war photography. I’m so incredibly happy and tired!!!

Promoted to Senior VSR. More money, more responsibilities, but WAY more doors that will open up for more promotions.

FEELS SO GOOD. This is the first thing I honestly really worked for in my life that was actually challenging and it just feels so good to see it work out.

Edit:
So yeah the last few weeks:

1. Selected as an Omeganaut
  2. Marriage
  3. Promotion

Now to concentration on hopefully adding: 4) Omegathon Winner

:wink:

So…I just won free tickets to a comedy show tomorrow, boo ya to that.