Body Art: Tattoos and Piercings

Was curious to find out how common body art is within the geek community? In my not scientific assement. This form of expression is pretty small within the geek world. And I’m guessing that is because the types of careers geeks tend to work in aren’t receptive to such expression. Or am I totally off base in assuming so? Also does anybody here have a tattoo or piercings or has anyone here considered getting one?

My left ear is (probably) pierced, and I’ve always had vague ideas of getting a tattoo.

I have one, an abstract representation of the game of go, and am planning a few more. Mostly math, science, and nature related stuff. Not big into piercings.

I see a LOT of ink in our circles.

Piercings are cool, I just don’t have any because pain/infection/etc.

Tattoos are even cooler, and I really want one. Except I have always decided against it, and have never regretted resisting it. I mean, what would i have tattoos of right now? Mega Man E tank? Macross Logo? Rainbow Dash lightning? At various times in my life I would have been very happy with those, but today I would be very upset if I had any of those permanently imprinted on my body.

One day they will invent a digital tattoo. I will be able to turn my skin into a digital screen and upload a high resolution image into it. Also, I’ll be able to turn it off. When the second or third version of that technology appears, I will be first in line to get it. I will be rewarded for my patience.

I don’t mind the permanence of tattoos, and I do want to get one, but I just haven’t been able to think of something that is representative enough of me to get it permanently scribed onto my body.

I once talked to someone who had a TON of tattoos, and he said,

“I feel bad for people who don’t have any tattoos - because it means that they aren’t passionate about anything enough to carry it on their body forever.”

[quote=“UncleUlty, post:7, topic:354, full:true”]

“I feel bad for people who don’t have any tattoos - because it means that they aren’t passionate about anything enough to carry it on their body forever.”
[/quote]I’m very passionate, I’m just not passionate about anything FOREVER. I change my mind. Even if I don’t change my mind, the world changes.

What have I loved my entire life? The New York Mets? Ok, sure. Just what I want. To be reminded about them every single day even when they suck or when it’s winter. Oh, and let me tell you about the Brooklyn Dodgers. I’ve hopefully got a lot of life left to live, and that shit can happen.

Not making that mistake.

Another way to look at it is that your body becomes a fabric of small reminders of past passions.

That small Rainbow Dash icon is a memory of a time and state of mind. Together, they tell the story of who you were.

1 Like

[quote=“UncleUlty, post:7, topic:354, full:true”]

“I feel bad for people who don’t have any tattoos - because it means that they aren’t passionate about anything enough to carry it on their body forever.”[/quote]
I… I have to think on this.

I’m no longer who I was with GOOD REASON.

1 Like

I had the same issue, but sidestepped the issue when I got my two tattoos.

I KNEW my life would change a lot and I’d regret getting a specific image or word tattooed, so when I got my first tattoo, I designed something that meant literally nothing to me. A small bat. I don’t even particularly like bats, or find them that interesting. But it was a fun design.

Two years later I got a small lizard on the top of my foot. Why a lizard? Because it means nothing to me. It’s something I couldn’t regret.

So my tattoos have a strong meaning to me: you will change, and find new passions, and these small images you created are permanent reminders to be ready for that change.

The one piercing, in the left ear cartilage. I hemmed and hawed about that one for a while, but with some years of perspective, it was honestly a pretty small and largely inconsequential decision. I like it and can’t imagine my ear without it, but it’s really not a focal piece at all.

I’ve got a tattoo planned for my right deltoid area, but want to get in shape before I get it. I also lost my wedding ring like a year and change ago, and I’ve decided to get a ring tattoo to replace it.

The only reason I don’t have some small tattoos is that they don’t often age well, aren’t high enough resolution, and have health risks.

1 Like

Yeah, not only can the world change, but bodies WILL change. A digital tattoo could correct for this.

To be fair, that quote does come off as pretty condescending and holier-than-thou when taken out of context, as though tattoos are the only way to express a lifelong passion.

In context, it was part of a discussion about whether or not he regrets getting all of those tattoos, and how he gets asked that by people all of the time. For example, the G.I. Joe tattoo he got when he was 18. So that’s the standard response he likes to give to smug old people who ask him if he feels like he made some bad choices now that he’s approaching his 40s.

That said, he was always kind of a confrontational guy who loved saying stuff that would push people’s buttons, so I don’t want to defend him TOO much. :slight_smile:

My tattoos are out of the way, so they can only be seen if I’ve bare feet or wearing shorts. I wouldn’t want tattoos that could be seen in normal societal interactions.

While my body might change shape, a tattoo on my leg and one on my foot won’t get misshapen. At least I hope not!

I can’t even stand taking eyedrops, so no body art for me. ;(

2 Likes

I don’t understand the connection.

I think maybe it’s something like “I can’t deal with pain very well, so I don’t think I’d be able.”

That said, there are numbing creams they have now that make it almost painless.