Basesball

The way it “should” have went down:

• Yelich (runner on 2nd) gets caught between bases. It’s only a matter of time now, so try and stall as long as you can. This buys time for:
  • Cain (runner on 1st) immediately takes off for second. He can stay on 1st and watch his friend get tagged out, or get to 2nd and watch his friend get tagged out.
  • Now both runners are on second. Fielders tag whoever they want. One out, one runner on 2nd.

I’m sure the Cub saw another Brewer at 2nd, and thought he would get a tag out on one of them standing on the bag. Notice he still has the ball in his glove. Rule in a pickle is always get it out of your glove - it doesn’t do any good in there.

The Cubs screwed up having the 1st baseman leave the bag, which would have kept Cain honest. Cain noticed, caused enough confusion to let Yelich get back safely, and ran back to 1st with nobody covering.

https://twitter.com/Steve_Perrault/status/1006770461911539715

Please, please, please MLB, please.

2 Likes

That was incredible!

I’d love to know the context behind the pitch/incident though.

1 Like

Our local Mets fan @Apreche, pls.

1 Like

That has to be the best miked up I’ve ever heard.

I understand why they don’t, but imagine the “announcers” for a football game being coach, QB, and Romo in the booth.

Only know this because a lot of Flyers people I follow posted that clip on twitter today: The guy at the plate is Chase Utley. In the 2015 playoffs Utley had a play that resulted in a broken leg for Mets infielder Rubén Tejada, and the Mets generally hate Utley’s guts from his time with their rivals, the Philadelphia Phillies. The clip is from his first at bat against the Mets in 2016, and the Mets pitcher throws at Utley and gets subsequently ejected. To top it off, Utley hit a solo and a grand slam homer that game.

Edit Utley against the Mets according to this article in 2016: 33 home runs, 113 RBIs and a .283 average.

2 Likes

I went to look up the story behind this, and it does seem more interesting than just dudes screaming at each other.

https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/the-viral-terry-collins-video-actually-teaches-us-a-lot-of-inside-stuff-about-baseball/281072818

2 Likes

Ah, that makes a lot of sense. I remember that incident in the Division Series. I hadn’t realized the clip was so old. Thanks for the context.

Great article! Thanks!

1 Like

By complete chance, I already have tickets to this game. We bought tickets to it because it was fireworks night and we wanted to go to the stadium once this year, even if it’s a meaningless game and they suck.

EDIT: Ok, I got the full info. He is being activated on the 25th. He could play in any game from then to the end of the year. Like, he could pinch hit or something at the end of the final game or what not. That said, he has only been confirmed to start at 3B in one game. The game we are going to on the 29th with the fireworks. Bought the tickets like a month ago. What a coincidence.

I recently fell into a deep hole of YouTube sports videos. Despite baseball season being over, and me not even following baseball at all, videos about the weird shit that constantly happens in Baseball are kind of fun. And boy to I have one here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpIs__45t5I

Spring training is coming! Also, the Mets are a professional organization.

The Mets are offering a very interesting ticket plan this year, and I wonder if any other teams are doing something similar. For $40 a month you get tickets to up to six games per month. Once per month you can get an upgrade and actually sit instead of stand. The only days you can’t get tickets for are opening day and vs Yankees. It comes out to like, $6.50 a game. You can go to see a LOT of baseball for a ridiculously low price with this plan. If you actually go to six game a month it comes out to about $6.50 a game.

For anyone who doesn’t work, or doesn’t work in the summer, this is really great. Imagine being a kid and having this ticket plan in the summer.

Is that just regular season?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2R2sH2ScBM

1 Like

Brewers give you every game for $35 a month.

Wow, that’s really something.

I’m sure both of the Brewers fans are super happy about this. ;3

1 Like

I’ve decided I will follow baseball a bit this year and the MLB season is officially underway with the Mariners winning two games against Oakland in the Tokyo Dome. Those games are also notable because sure-fire Hall of Famer Ichiro Suzuki decided to hang it up, playing his last game in the MLB in front of his home country.

Ichiro is of course best known as a hitter whose best strength is getting on-base, holding the pro baseball record for hits between his time in NPB and MLB, as well as the single-season hits record in MLB. However, the following video also makes a good case that Ichiro could have also been a pretty good power hitter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh9HP-9xZFs

Is he retireing retiring, or just going back to the Japan leagues?

But yeah, Suzuki was a scary batter, and he always seemed to be on teams the Sox faced often, so we got to see him fairly often.

Are you planning on following a specific team, or just the sport as a concept?