Basesball

I’ll follow the Phillies in the NL, and the Indians in the AL.

Fair enough. The indians have that kinda “America’s Team” thing going on, and the Philies are an inoffensive choice.

That’s the first time anybody has called a sports team in Philadelphia “inoffensive”.

The Indians is mostly because of the film Major League. And yes I understand that the name is an issue, but at least they’re retiring the old logo. The Phillies are mostly because a lot of my internet-sports-friends are from Philadelphia, and having them checked out they seem quite fun and seem like they are ready to make a splash. I’ll definitely follow the Phillies more closely than the Indians.

I mean, compared to the Eagles…

If you could throw the best pitch, why wouldn’t you just throw that every time?

1 Like

9 straight pitches at 97mph or more. Surprised the last batter didn’t just burst into flame. Wow.

Orioles are letting kids in for free, every game all year. Need to be with a paying adult. Makes sense, they don’t want 5,000 unsupervised little kids running around.

Well, the Phillies managed to score 8 runs before recording an out last night. Read that again. The entire line-up reached home plate in the first inning. Ridiculous.

Incompetence in action:

1 Like

That’s pretty impressive!

London series begins with 6-6 by the end of the first innings.

Yeah, I’ve been watching, I can’t recall ever having seen such a high scoring first inning.

The things is with baseball is that it is so old with so many games per year per team that there’s always a previous record.

Of course, baseball also tracks so many stats, there’s lots of possible records to break so that happens all the time too.

Oh yeah, I don’t expect that to have been a record. Only record that broke was most runs scored in a first inning that I’ve personally ever seen.

1 Like

“they combined for a staggering 12 runs, earning their place as the first clubs to score 6+ runs apiece in the first inning since the Blue Jays and Athletics faced off in 1989”

So yeah, a pretty long-standing record.

It seems the London Stadium setup was very batter-friendly. It’s the shortest distance to the center field wall at 385 feet. Compared to the usual stadiums:

Did ya get a load of how much space there was behind home plate too? Foul territory for days. What’s the deal with this London stadium? Wikipedia tells me it was built for the Olympics in 2012 and is the home… pitch? for a football club. But afaict this is the first time It’s been converted to a baseball field. It’s a bit oddly shaped.

Yeah, that’s about it. Built for the olympics in 2012. Converted into a soccer stadium by removing the running track, moving the seats up closer to the pitch, and putting roofing above the seating.

A few weeks ago it was still being used as a concert venue for Muse, and then right into the conversion to baseball. The odd shape is from never having been built for the two sports held in it so far this year.

2 Likes

1 Like