Awesome/Summer Games Done Quick

The Factorio run was off the hook.

Maimai finale vod is finally up. I can see the first half I missed. Also really recommend checking this out, the video is long, but it’s rhythm game you can just check a song or few to see how impressive the player is.

Jelly Drift was a fun 5 minute run. Konasumi is really good at explaining and running at the same time.

I’m disappointed by the Geoguessr run for one reason only: the bugged result screen where it didn’t show how close Havrd got to the target each time! The best moment of these games is the anticipation of how close the guesser got, and then the satisfaction of seeing the very short line on the map, and it saying “5m away from target”.

Me and Juliane just played a game, and it took us about an hour and a half to get a perfect run. Except it wasn’t perfect, because we got caught out by a target in Greenland that was disconnected from everything. But the huge high-fiving climaxes were the reveal of being within 20m of where you thought you might be, especially when its in rural Sri Lanka and all the signs are in non-readable script.

2 Likes

I watched it live. Their ability to find clues and narrow it down to the precise location was, to me, far less interesting than the fact that they were able to identify the country, or perhaps city, almost immediately. They talked a little bit about some of the clues they use for that, but not nearly enough.

After watching I played a round of geoguessr just to see how I fared. The only one where I was able to figure out even the general location before walking around or googling for anything was the one time I got put in New Jersey. The hardest were any Eastern European locations. Seeing Cyrillic writing did not narrow it down nearly enough. One time I saw Cyrillic writing and a beach, so I figured it must be on the Black Sea. That was correct. What wasn’t correct was that I guessed in Ukraine, but it was Bulgaria. I feel like these speedrunners would have known Bulgaria immediately, and that’s incredible. Carmen Sandiego better watch out for these people.

2 Likes

The issue is that a lot of what narrows it down to a specific country is working at a very low, almost subliminal level. You make a guess, and it’s correct, but all the little details aren’t immediately at the front of your mind.

When we played I guessed the correct country two out of five times, without moving the camera and without seeing any signs.

One I got wrong on my immediate first guess was Bolivia, which I guessed Mexico, and then had that confirmed to me by seeing what I thought was a limp Mexican flag but it turned out to be a limp Bolivian flag :mexico: :bolivia:. But Juliane was never sure it was Mexico, and only after a while did she work out that there were initially more indigenous-looking people.

Our other two incorrect guesses were India instead of Sri Lanka, and Greenland instead of Norway.

Candy box Speedrun

3 Likes
  1. That was a really fun watch. I think even having a live couch is a huge upgrade over nobody.
  2. I was glad for no js hacking despite the category being any%. I assume you could beat it in like 30 seconds and it would be a totally lame watch.

The algorithm has recently started shoving Geoguessr stuff in my face and now I’m hooked. This GDQ video is great and a good way to sort of form as an intro to the whole thing too.

Also the amount of seemingly unironic uses of “What in the world” these guys use is hilarious.

I could see playing this a lot.

List for AGDQ 2022 up

https://gamesdonequick.com/submission/games-list

1 Like

Wednesday, January 12th

1:11 PM Slay the Spire SpeedFrog
0:50:00 4 Character Unseeded — PC

Unseeded! I’ll definitely watch that one.

1 Like

https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule

Schedule is up. Starts in a few days.

1 Like

Slay the Spire run was pretty cool! I did not expect so many glitches.

But man, I just wanted that second commentator to put a sock in it. Kept talking over the other two with really unhelpful commentary.

That run was wild. I played a bit of Slay the Spire, but the guy was playing so fast I had no idea what he was doing.

The process for speedrunning a Discworld game sounds like how a wizard from Discworld would solve problems.

It was very fast, but still mostly recognizable to me. Like oh, he used some glitch there to re-use the campfire.

Contrast with Baba is You, too fast to even see what’s happening.

Metal Gear Solid blindfold% was really good.

Another good one: Snolf, Sonic but it’s with golf controls. Meaning you set angle and power, and launch sonic.

1 Like

If Brossentia is there, you know it’s going to be an awfully good time.

Stepmania/NotITG (aka DDR) was insane. Over an hour straight of DDR’ing with no breaks. At one point he had a streak of 4600+.

On top of that, the action on the screen isn’t recognizable as DDR. It’s just… well, watch for a minute yourself:

The commentators start losing it when he whips out a couple 20-foot songs and a 22(??).

Spootybiscuit you may remember from Cadence of Hyrule and Crypt of the Necrodancer (including beating the difficulty that was supposed to be an impossible joke). I guess dude is just god of rhythm games.

1 Like