Awesome/Summer Games Done Quick

Co-op GeoGuessr is THE MOST FRUSTRATING GeoGuessr.

1 Like

LOL

Rhythm games going big this GDQ. I guess one benefit of streaming from home is you can use your custom arcade machine.

DDR : Dancerush :: Stepmania : whatever this is

SGDQ 2022 is in person! (for now)

Summer Games Done Quick 2022 Returns - In-Person

For the first time since Awesome Games Done Quick 2020, Games Done Quick will be returning in-person!
[ā€¦]
In accordance with our stance on safety, SGDQ2022 will be requiring full COVID-19 vaccinations (with proof), as well as KN95/N95/KF94 masks, for all attendees of the event. Social distancing will be practiced in all event spaces. The event attendance cap will be reduced in order to facilitate social distancing requirements.

I have to say, while virtual was obviously necessary, the remote events really arenā€™t as fun as a meat GDQ.

I hope they can safely pull it off - vaccine and mask requirement is really good to hear.

https://gamesdonequick.com/covid

Games list! The ones that jump out at me:

Advance Wars
DS Any% (No Map Glitch)

Celeste.smc
Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Race between GrandPooBear and MrMightyMouse_

Kaizo Super Mario World Relay Race
SNES

Metroid Dread
Nintendo Switch Any% NMG Normal

SethBling
Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World
Super Nintendo Entertainment System All Five Games w/ACE
(That runnerā€¦ is ACE arbitrary code execution? wow)

Super Mario Maker 2
Nintendo Switch Relay Race

Super Mario World
SNES Relay Race

You know, every year I think, ā€œhow can they make Super Metroid crazier.ā€ And then they do it.
Oatsngoats
Super Metroid Kaizo
Super Nintendo Any%

My cup overfloweth!

1 Like

SGDQ Starts Today

The YeTee has an ā€œAdvance Warsā€ shirt as part of the merch.

1 Like

The Mario 5-game ACE was off the charts bananas. Like a TAS but humans.

1 Like

The Super Metroid Kaizo run is pure insanity.

2 Likes

That was white-knuckle for basically the entire run. Normally the crowd is super rowdy for Metroid but everyone was just holding their breath for 2 and a half hours.

I donā€™t think this should even be called Super Mario World. Itā€™s SMW romhack/fangame which mostly operates like Super Mario World, but the levels are full on custom stuff that you wonā€™t find in normal Super Mario. Itā€™s a race and the runners are good, but the real stars for me were the level designers, I was just constantly impressed by what I was seeing.

1 Like

Holy shit, the OoT TASbot beta showcase.

Even if you donā€™t particularly find TASes at a GDQ thatā€™s interesting, like me. Donā€™t read anything about it before you watch.

Iā€™ll just say they got a standing ovation.

Kaizo Mario World race was indeed epic. Mode 7 Mario really appealed to me. Itā€™s clever enough to be in a real Nintendo Mario game.

AGDQ starts in a week. Canā€™t say Iā€™m excited for another virtual one. Way to go, Florida.

I had an idea while thinking about weird GDQ categories. Call it hands/eyes coop.

As in, one person can see the screen, and the other person is holding the controller. Eyes player has to tell Hands player what to do.

This thought brought to you by coop Geoguessr.

Pretty sure Iā€™ve seen this happen with several games.

Back college we used to play blindfold Monkeyball on Dreamcast using this exact method.

Now you are thinking with Airboats

Iā€™m glad I watched the start of that, as I like the idea of airboat portal, and the story that spawning airboats wasnā€™t cheating. And seeing the demonstration of the tricks. But once the run starts, it doesnā€™t feel like Portal at all, or much fun.

Thereā€™s a sweet spot where a game can still feel like the game, with another game layered on top for luls, but this idea falls just the other side of it for me.

How far can a game be pushed without it losing all meaning?

1 Like

Neon White was cool. I hadnā€™t heard of the game before, itā€™s a puzzle-ish FPS platformer. You have to kill all the enemies in a level and get to the exit. You give up a gun to get some special moves - a double jump or dash for example.

The commentator did a good job explaining and the runner has some phenomenal FPS skills. Looks TASy in spots.

Thatā€™s actually the point of Neon Whiteā€“it was meant for speedrunning. It was designed to make speedrunning look easy for casual players who lack the proper skills for pulling off crazy maneuvers in other games.

Mark Brown made a great video explaining why the game is so great.

1 Like