Awesome/Summer Games Done Quick

I don’t think I said it doesn’t show amazing skill. It’s just not particularly interesting or entertaining.

Then don’t watch it…

I mean, it’s a roguelike. You obviously knew what it was going into it. You are basically complaining about things that are inherent in the design of the game itself.

There are some things inherent in the game itself, but it’s still a deliberate choice of roguelike speedrunners to prioritize certain categories. It’s just like how Slay the Spire runners the major category involves picking a specific seed. The key challenge of a roguelike is figuring out the best you can do with whatever resources you get. They are bypassing that primary aspect of the game and challenging themselves only on pure execution.

Ugh, really? Why even play a roguelike if you’re going to take the rogue out.

Except the category ran in agdq increases the amount of randomness and decision making, compared to fresh file. So if that’s your issue, you are talking out of your ass again. It’s totally fine to not see and understand how cool a run is, but to pretend you know what’s up while you don’t is just silly.

It does increase the randomness because Hades doesn’t have all the possibilities unlocked from the start. That’s Hades fault. But it also increases the power level.

If they’re already at the point where they are allowing to start with a non-blank save file, then why not prescribe a save file that gets the best of all worlds? Get a save file where all the possible encounters and gods are unlocked. But also, no purple gems spent on the mirror, no hearts spent on weapons, no booze spent, etc.

These kinds of runs have been done already on games like Diablo and they’re extremely boring because it’s the runner soft-resetting until they get a desired build.

New rule. The timer starts before those “dice” are rolled.

They already do that. It’s literally more time efficient to soft-reset until a desired output/exploit is achieved than to play the game perfectly and hope you get a good seed.

What is the actual goal you want? If you want the runs to be fun to watch this is busywork that you complain when it is optimized out of the run. If you want the runs to be a demonstration of skill the most optimal “skill” has been developed; there are plenty of games where pure execution is not the only metric being tested. The only conclusion I get from your arguments is “roguelikes are not interesting to speedrun”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xh3Y60DM2E

A roguelike would be interesting to speedrun if you had to just fucking deal with the RNG like any normal player would, and then you use your skills to go as fast as possible.

Maybe the best solution is to have a category “worst starting luck possible” sort of like low % categories in other games. You re-roll the start until you get the worst possible stats. Beyond that, you just gotta deal with whatever the game throws at you. It’s going to vary a lot by game, though.

Roguelikes are better as races.

Same seed. 10 contenders. First one to the end wins.

3 Likes

Schedule is out:
https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule

Wirtual blindfold Trackmania and mitchflowerpower SMB3 co-op should be good.

Uh, what?

GeoGuessr | havrd | 0:35:00 | Perfect Score — PC

2 Likes

Geoguesser is a legitimately great spectator game. It’s weird, but should be a great fit for a GDQ event.

1 Like

I just checked out a havrd live event video, and it’s a very entertaining 30 minute co-op attempt. Except for how long it took them to find Kelowna!

I mean, Canada is a big place. They were really hung up on the fact that they saw french on a sign, blissfully unaware that official signage in Canada has to be bilingual (or at least as far as I am told). I know a lot of Canadian cities myself due to being a fan of hockey. However, I also wouldn’t have known where exactly Kelowna is without looking it up. I did remember that their junior team are the Kelowna Rockets, but I forgot which league they play in (there’s three, one in Quebec, one in Ontario, and one that is just “the Western Hockey League” with teams from Winnipeg to Victoria BC and everywhere in between, including 5 teams in the US).

It’s funny though that they found a place in bumfuck nowhere of the Ukraine much faster though.

It’s not that I expected them to know a random town in Canada, I’m just saying that’s the least entertaining part of the speedrun. It’s just a lot of scrolling around until they found a sign saying British Columbia.

I personally knew where Kelowna is, but only because I watch a lot of mountain bike YouTube channels based in British Columbia and remembered the town’s name from a few mentions of trails nearby.

Also my main form of memorization, or just remembering things, is location or geographic based. In those charts titled “When you picture an Apple in your mind, what does it look like?” I’ve discovered that my starting point isn’t what an Apple looks like at all, and instead it’s the location of a box of apples in a supermarket. From there I hone in on picturing an individual Apple.

So when they started in France, I was about a minute ahead of them saying Cherbourg because the second street had a view of an entrance to a ferry service that I’d visited in 2006.

I’d be impressed with my memory if my brain wasn’t also the same brain that often can’t remember the name of my girlfriend, despite us approaching our ten year anniversary.

I’m excited that they added Ghostrunner to their list. That game is pretty much perfect for speed runs.

Would be fun to see someone speedrun a PSX demo disc.

1 Like

The Geoguessr run (by Havrd) was fun.

oh, no. No no no. We’re in Abuja.

After three of these, I will be very interested to watch an in-person GDQ again. Two years ago, I wouldn’t have guessed just how much having commentators on the couch, a crowd getting into it, consistent good audio, etc. contributes to the event. Everyone’s doing their best, but the remote version really lacks the same life.

I’ve also missed on location gdq;s, but there just while ago ended a rhythm game showcase that could never happen on location as no one is moving a huge ass arcade machine just for that. So there are good advantages on online events.