Awesome/Summer Games Done Quick

Ohhh damn I should have watched Legacy of the wizard I loved that freaking indecipherable game.

You won’t learn much from that run. They basically cheat their way through it.

I did learn a lot of meta information, though. It’s apparently in the same universe as Faxanadu? And the original game for the MSX2 has way better and more music. And the music was by the Streets of Rage guy Yuzo Koshiro.

Legacy of the Wizard is actually Dragon Slayer IV

Watching now. It is a glitch run.

NewBlood watching their own games speedrun is a joy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfDlsmua8kU

I learned about Elevator Action when I was The Viewer on one of Scott’s streams.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhQcLU4eCfE

I started out being meh that this was the Saturn version. Also, the only speedrun I have seen previously involved a person dying constantly and pumping the arcade machine full of quarters.

Very happy to see the Saturn port is basically identical to the arcade. Also, this person played 1 credit clear, no continues allowed.

His personality was very straightforward and clear, but it didn’t make for a very entertaining speedrun. I am glad that they appreciate the amazing pixel animation in the game. I’m also happy they decided to go deep on this game after seeing the arcade cabinet at MAGFest.

I went to watch the Super Metroid run. Ugh, this video looks terrible, youtube only has it up to… oh, 360p.

It’s weird how much bad-looking player and GDQ graphics makes me want to not watch a 224p game.

I was wondering how much they would raise this time around with well, everything going on in the world. That they still broke two million dollars is great.

I watched the Baba Is You run. First, the levels go too fast to really make much sense of what’s going on. Second, I didn’t particularly like the guy’s style. I stopped after about 5 minutes.

Is anyone else not really able to get into watching runs this time around? Maybe I need to watch some old in-person GDQs to see if it’s me or the videos.

I agree about that run. A similar thing happened with the Elevator Action Returns run. I’ve been waiting for that game to be at a GDQ for years, but the person who ran it have a very strange presentation style. While almost all the runners do a very good job of playing the game, very few do a good job of selling it. The runner/couch personality really makes a huge difference in the entertainment value of the run.

I just randomly watched Elevator Action Returns just now and was going to post about how interesting of a game it looks. I was fine with the Runner’s low energy style, but I can imagine that it might be hard for someone to just watch a random game without better commentary.

It has begun!

2 Likes

Looking forward to River City Girls, THPS 1+2 and Hades, which I guess are the only three games I played this year that are on the schedule, but I like those games and want to see some people absolutely wreck them.

Into the Beach was enjoyable. Good commentary can really make a run, and Blechy is one of the best.

Started watching Hades run, then stopped. The status quo of rogulike speed running categories continues to disappoint. I don’t want to see you beat the game with three different weapons on your save file. I want to see you beat it once starting from scratch.

There are plenty of those in youtube too. The problem with fresh file runs is that they are all the same. Same starting weapon, more limited array of boons and rooms you can get. Fresh file run is slightly more impressive, but not really any more interesting than other kind of run in Hades.

1 Like

I mean, Hades isn’t going to make that interesting a run no matter what category. But already being buffed to the max is like you’re trying to make it even less interesting. Even I can beat the game quickly with that kind of save file.

How much of Hades have you actually played?

I beat my dad once and then stopped.

It’s just that claiming that the Hades run doesn’t show amazing skill, in both manual dexterity and constant instantaneous assessing on situations and decision making, is laughable.