Apple Day

I’ve pretty much stopped using my iPad for some reason :thinking:

I’d get an ipad if I could get away without a laptop. In a second. It’s such good hardware!

But I need to run a few pieces of software I can’t run on it… And I can’t (reasonably) justify having an ipad AND a laptop. =(

I have the following computers in my apartment:

iPad Pro
iPhone 7
Apple Watch
Desktop PC
HTPC
Work laptop
Old Lenovo Thinkpad (still works)
Apple //gs
Mac Plus 1MB
Nintendo Switch, Nintendo Wii
Bunch of Nintendo handheld consoles from GBC up through 3DS
TI-86 calculator
Bunch of Arduinos and other tiny computers

The iPad definitely gets the most use. It might get more use than all others combined. I’d have to measure.

I use:

1. HTPC
  2. Desktop Computer
  3. Phone (pooping, twitter on the couch)
  4. Kindle fire (Netflix in the gym downstairs)
  5. Nintendo Switch
  6. Laptop (working on things on the couch)

For me:

MacBook Pro
iPhone
Apple TV

Going to two portable devices (laptop and phone, no tablet) has been super handy.

My iPad usage is

• reading a pdf or ebook
  • reading or checking something that’s inconvenient or big enough that I don’t want to do on my phone, e.g.,
    • catching up on twitter
    • referencing a recipe while cooking
  • traveling

If I have to do more than a sentence of typing, it’s laptop time.

Computers at home:

iPad Pro First Gen
Laptop when working from home
Apple TV
PS4 Pro
Nintendo Switch
iPhone XS

Out of all of them the ones I get the most use are the iPhone XS because is the right size of small for me, takes amazing pictures, and its fast as heck. It was the right upgrade for me since I had an iPhone 6S, and I already got used to not using wired headphones because of my Jaybird run that I used mostly for running.

Mind you I use the PS4 Pro as an HTPC the same amount I use it for gaming.

One week until Apple Day.

Everything about Apple Card seems good, but the rewards are way too low.

What kinda rewards were you looking for? I didn’t see the details originally but they seem pretty competitive. Most cards I’ve seen with cash back on everything still only fall into 1-2%. Daily rewards processing seems interesting.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202109400

Right, I use the Amazon card as well, but it only gets you Amazon points (effectively gift card money). Cards like Chase Sapphire, or my credit unions card, will give you actual money back. The Apple card is more akin to these but also gives you a bit better percentage on using Apple Pay. One advantage I think the Sapphire card has is that they’ll have random selective promotions that you can get 5% back on which is pretty good. You can do that with the Chase Amazon card too but it’s still Amazon points back.

The benefit of cash back as opposed to the points is that you can use the money to pay off your credit card statement so the money filters back in to the rotation. When you use the points they don’t factor back into the rewards. So theoretically you’re losing money. I don’t care enough to try and play that game but if you were someone that does the Apple card is not bad, and seemingly better than some competitors.

I would guess if you ran the numbers and were also someone that buys a lot from Amazon it’s better overall.

1 Like

Amazon credit is as good as cash.

This is how I know we’re in shadowrun.

2 Likes

Yeah I mean you can buy anything on Amazon. What I’m saying though is you’re technically losing money by using it because it doesn’t factor in to you getting more points. I think for me personally it works out using Amazon card because I buy enough stuff on Amazon.

Not quite. I can’t use Amazon credit to pay my heating bill… or buy lunch at work… or my insurance bill… or plane tickets to visit my son… or my… you get the picture.

Amazon sells a ton of stuff, and I probably purchase more discretionary items on Amazon than any other retailer. However, there are a bunch of other expenses that I like having real cash for and those expenses add up to more than what I buy on Amazon any given period of time.

I order enough on Amazon that it’s the same as cash for me (for now).

But… I increasingly don’t buy big ticket items on Amazon. Too many scams and bootlegs. I’m more and more going straight to the manufacturer, which will reduce my Amazon spend to incidentals and household items.

Two of the hard drives I bought on Amazon, they shipped the wrong one, a similar but much cheaper/shittier option, by “accident.” Amazon just took care of it, but it happened twice. The same thing happened with my monitor, but that was an even more elaborate scam.

Some big ticket items I can trust Amazon, and some I can’t. Monitors are probably the next thing I’ll be buying in a year or two, and I’ll probably go Newegg.

I won’t buy computer equipment more expensive than a cable or maybe a PSU on Amazon anymore.