American Democracy

Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson’s nomination is pretty much in the bag, and will actually get some “bipartisan” support as well!

Key 50th vote to confirm nomination:

At least one Republican senator is voting for her as well. Murkowski and Romney have not yet stated if they will vote to confirm, but there is a chance they could as well:

If nothing absolutely bonkers happens, the Senate Judiciary Committee will vote on April 4th to recommend her nomination to the full Senate for a vote.

1 Like
1 Like

Are you in the mood to tell your option about mergers to the FTC? They are collecting comments until the end of the month and could really use more about how mergers are not a good thing.

https://secure.everyaction.com/FNcO8Kqp_kGsVUT1sYEC1g2

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

Today in Utah the State Democratic Party held its convention. The big news is that by a 57% delegate majority it was decided to not run a Democratic party-nominated candidate for the Senate election this year and instead to throw the party’s support behind Independent candidate Evan McMullin. McMullin has pledged to caucus with the Democrats if elected. He will be up against the traitorous Trump-lackey Mike Lee as the Republican nominee.

Utah has not elected a Democrat to the Senate in over 50 years and in the most recent Senate election Mitt Romney won with 62% of the vote. Yet the reporting coming out of the convention is some significant vitriol and myopic rhetoric from Democratic delegates, and even the guy who was hoping to be the Democratic candidate. Saying that they want to beat Mike Lee but by not having a Democrat on the ballot the party is disenfranchising voters and silencing Democratic voices and giving up and rendering Democrats irrelevant in the upcoming election. Guys, seriously… Do you want to be right or do you want to even have some slight chance (compared to virtually no chance) of preventing Mike Lee from continuing in the Senate? What good does it do to run a candidate who not only will not beat Lee on his own but if any anti-Lee voters split their votes between two opposition-candidates it guarantees that Lee will be re-elected!?

More than likely Lee still wins, maybe by only 52-57% instead of 60%+. And there is nothing wrong with Utah State Democrats wanting to have a platform and message in the Federal-level election conversation, but the overwhelming majority of Utah voters will not be listening to that message by dint of simply having a Democratic candidate on the ballot.

2 Likes

That’s always the eternal question, do you want to have power or do you want to be right.

2 Likes

Axios: Supreme Court says Boston violated First Amendment in Christian flag case.

Time to get the Church of Satan to fly their flag too.

2 Likes
1 Like

Unsure if this is the best thread for it but was unsure about creating a court specific thread.

The Supreme Court saying innocence is not a factor in Federal courts ruling on a person serving life in prison or a death sentence and a lower court saying even if based on factual information that causing harm by speech can make someone liable for defamation - see Depp v. Heard - makes trusting our courts even slightly seem farcical. There are various other areas leading to distrust there going back to the beginning of the US but lately no level of the Judicial Branch seems to act with any legitimacy.

1 Like

Yep, the rules are made up and the only points that matter are the $$$ in your bank account and/or your political position.

That’s what has driven me nuts about all the legal scholars (former prosecutors like Preet Bharara, someone who’s experience and perspective are otherwise very valuable) saying things like “prosecuting a former President is not something we do in this country, that would make us like a Banana Republic.” Fool, as if that is our biggest issue going on, being compared to an unstable Central/South American government!? If having that comparison is the the price to pay for justice and accountability let’s fucking gooooo!

1 Like

California is having a statewide primary election in a few days, and I thought I’d do some research on the candidates ahead of time.

I usually vote for the Peace and Freedom party whenever possible (they’re a true left-wing party) and never for Republicans, and when my only options are a handful of Democrats on the ballot, I naturally have to do some online research to make sure I’m not voting for conservative Dems by accident.

Thankfully, someone else did the research for me. This person is a terrible right-wing POS who I would never endorse, but her PDF is extremely useful for weeding out the conservatives and voting against them.

It’s Election Day! Get out and vote!

1 Like

Where? Not here in NY it isn’t.

California, Iowa, Mississippi, Montana, New Jersey, New Mexico and South Dakota