American Democracy

4 Likes

A very important thing to remember is that you have to reject basic media framing.

It’s easy to incorrectly frame this latest failure as “The Democrats are in disarray.”

But the actual reality is that 48 Democrats directly and publicly voted to end the filibuster for voting rights. That’s the most unified Democratic party in modern history.

52 Senators are fascist traitors. Two of them happen to caucus with the Democrats. If Democrats hold the House and gain 2 Senate seats in 2022, they can pass this bill.

5 Likes

I guess this is doubling down and digging in. Definitely an escalation.

If they think they can flaunt the First Amendment on the Capitol attack, it won’t work.

The text reads: " Congress shall make no law [ . . . ] the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

The bold word is important. Five people died and many more were injured. This wasn’t a peaceful assembly by any means. The GOP has no leg to stand on.

1 Like

OMG

It might really happen, and a lot sooner than I could have hoped.

4 Likes

Apparently this was not intentional.

Noted “piece of shit” Sen. Tom Cotton would have objected and blocked it. But he wasn’t paying attention and didn’t know. It is now too late for him to block this.

5 Likes

Isn’t this exactly what I suggest? These senators are old. You can use dirty tricks to get legislation through when they’re asleep.

Well I guess SInema is good for one thing…

Read the article! It’s almost exactly your plan:

“Why couldn’t you just do a sneak attack when nobody was looking? That’s a courtesy of the Senate, where that doesn’t happen,” [Republican Sen. Mike Braun] said.

Um… Okay…?

They’re trying so hard to do a gotcha moment “AH-HA! Soyou’re an anti-racist which means you are a racist!”

It’s insane BS.

1 Like

This isn’t really about Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson at all.

This is about Republican Senators whipping up their base to keep them angry for the upcoming mid-terms, and to burnish their credentials as anti-woke, anti-liberal, QAnon Conspiracy-adjacents, etc.

It’s not a coincidence that two out of the three loudest senators (Cruz and Hawley) want to run for president in 2024. Additionally, Lindsey Graham voted for Ketanji Brown Jackson for the DC Circuit, so now he has to bloviate extra hard to justify why he’s going to vote against her for the Supreme Court, when he just voted relatively recently to confirm her.

This is all BS political theater.

4 Likes