Why Twitter Can't Monetize

I’m not paying $3 for that. But it is a nice feature I would use. Show me the other features like “block all ads everywhere always” and other things, and maybe I will be willing to pay.

$2.99 a month for one-liners and death threats?

And dick pics! Don’t forget the dick pics!

1 Like

I was just informed about this new social media site

https://locals.com/

I mean…I get what they are trying to do but I do not think that this would be a payoff unless you wanted to drop patron and have an all in one platform.

oh boy there are some interesting people on their creator list.

• Andy Ngo
  • Tulsi Gabbard

Attempts to make a “new Twitter” are just right-wing refugee camps who want a place to be more openly racist without consequence. Don’t trust them.

Update:

I think a board member can’t hold more than 14% of the company’s shares, so Musk probably decided against the seat in case he wants to buy more shares in the future.

Wait, already?

1 Like

Only for something like two and a half years after joining the board. I think it was more the background investigation and the legal obligation to do the best he could for the company and shareholders that scared him off, since he’s now trying to get power over it in ways that don’t require those things. It would also fit with the threats and tone he’s taking regarding the acquisition, basically threatening to pull his investment out if he doesn’t get his way.

Edit: Also Matt Gertz makes a good point here:
https://twitter.com/mattgertz/status/1514578240542756874

If Musk buys Twitter, I have no doubt he’ll allow Trump back on, which would be terrible for America, the world, and democracy as a whole.

I’m not as sure about that, but it is a possibility.

I think more likely he’ll only do so if Trump has something to offer him in exchange, which at the moment, he doesn’t. If Musk was a tenth as smart as he thinks he is, he’d be twice as smart as he actually is, but he’s not the type to just pull that bullshit out of ideology, his most pressing motivation is growing his own wealth, power or fame.

That said, I wouldn’t put it past him to allow him back on for leverage, if it could generate some banked against any potential future power, something Trump has repeatedly shown himself to be a sucker for. Or just to piss off his critics, which is just his kind of petty and vindictive.

1 Like

Good points over all. I’ll just add that in terms of monetary gain, as we get closer and closer to 2024, Twitter (and Musk) can earn a lot more money by letting Trump back on.

This is only going to hasten my gradual retreat from Twitter. I have Twitter open constantly, but my usage of it is now so limited. I tweet relatively infrequently. I only see tweets from accounts I explicitly follow. I don’t even see things that are retweeted by accounts I follow. On top of that, I’m basically never following new accounts. These days I’m only un-following on every platform, especially Twitter.

There are rumors that they are going to make Tweetdeck a paid feature. Who knows what this could mean for third party Twitter apps like Tweetbot? Without those, I’m definitely out.

The way things are headed for me I see myself only using Twitter the way I am now using Facebook/Instagram. Post only. I respect that other people are going to choose the platforms that are right for them. If I have content I really want to share, like a podcast, ok. I’ll meet the audience where they want to be, and share it on every major platform. But that’s it.

If I escape Twitter, the only major site I will still use significantly is Reddit. I’m quite active there, but only in a very short list of subreddits that is also constantly shrinking. I just left one this morning, and a few are on the borderline. The ones I’m most active in are very local and specific like /r/astoria and /r/nycbike. I don’t see myself leaving those unless the whole community moves elsewhere.

Yeah, overall just going to keep retreating to more private-ish spaces with intentional communities.

2 Likes

I talk to a lot of people heavily via twitter who I literally don’t talk to otherwise.

I’d leave, but literally nothing replaces it. There’s no viable alternative platform that’s even remotely usable.

1 Like

I agree that there is nothing else currently existing that does what Twitter does and has that community of people on it.

My point is, is what it does a necessity? There are only about 200~ million people actively using it. The other 7.7 billion humans seem to be getting along just fine without Twitter. I have quit/dropped many Internet services in my life. I’ve never regretted doing so. I don’t see why Twitter would be an exception. If I deleted all my Twitter apps today and removed my Tweetdeck tab, I’d probably just forget all about it.

The same could be said for The Internet.

Well, to a point. As long as I live in this particular society, there are some things I couldn’t quit on the Internet. For example, even if I wanted to order food by telephone, how am I going to find the number of the restaurant to give it a call? Yellow pages don’t exist anymore. Should I walk around town collecting menus?

Even if I went to the library to do research instead of using Google, I would probably have to end up using the Internet at the library.

etc.