What TV Shows Are You Watching?

3 Likes

All I can hear in that is a Scottish person saying murder. A la https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dynAAX0hYQo

I don’t know if Rings of Power is going to need its own thread at some point. We’ll see.

I just watched episode 3. I had always assumed this TV show would end with Barad-dûr. Yet, I was very surprised to see

spoiler

my boy Isildur show up in episode 3

1 Like

Update on the DHMIS TV series:

It was supposed to premiere today, but due to the recent passing of Queen Elizabeth, it has been delayed to later this month. A new premiere date should be announced soon.

EDIT: September 23

1 Like

The Michael Jordan documentary series “The Last Dance” is very good and as a teenager in the 90’s it was the biggest nostalgia trip. Loved it!

Juliane thought Jordan quitting basketball and taking up baseball was just a dumb joke plot point in Space Jam, and is now astounded that he actually did it.

2 Likes

Got around to watching “For all mankind” wow. This show hits me in the gut over and over. Might be the best Alt-History show I’ve ever watched.

5 Likes

Finished the third and current season of For all mankind. Continues to somehow balance Human drama/politics and nearly crazy space BS in some perfect mix. So hooked. Can’t wait till season 4.

3 Likes

Perhaps my favorite and most watched TV show of all time is back on the air as of right now!

NY Rangers Gamenight on MSG :sweat_smile:

See (on Apple TV) isn’t as terrible as all the reviews say it is, but it’s not really that good either. The cast is fine and the production values are good, but the writing is terrible, the characters are all stupid and mostly unlikeable, and the show seems to have no idea what it’s overall plot is.

For All Mankind, Severance, and Ted Lasso are infinitely superior shows. Even Foundation is better than See, mostly because of Lee Pace.

3 Likes

Loved the new DHMIS. That ending was poignant!

1 Like

i usually re-watch shows with people who’ve never seen them before, but the show has to pass a certain threshold to earn that: person of interest, sense8, magicians, expanse, bsg, utopia. those shows generally have a nostalgia factor or a easily missed level of detail that rewards that extra attention.

3 Likes

Oni: Thunder God’s Tale on Netflix was excellent! It’s a short mini-series, only 4 episodes, but definitely worth watching!

Also, the Slate “Working” podcast had an interview with the creators which I really enjoyed, and which is where I found out about the show. Worth a listen if you’re interested:

1 Like

The Bear is a very good tv drama about a chef taking over a sandwich shop in Chicago with a toxic work culture.

I would highly recommend it to people who think they would enjoy a tv drama about a chef taking over a sandwich shop in Chicago with a toxic work culture.

Personally I didn’t make it past the fourth episode, mostly because I found it unbearably stressful. Not bad quality TV, and not my lack of interest in the story or characters, just that I’m not into so much drama.

1 Like

Is the chef who takes over also toxic, or are they there to clean it up? If they are there to clean it up, why not just fire everyone, hire decent people, and start fresh?

Because humans have emotions and emotions are real.

The chef is not toxic and is trying to clean up the restaurant.

He doesn’t fire everyone because it’s a family-owned business and the employees are either his relatives or people he’s known his entire life and he doesn’t want to fire them because even if they are toxic, he still cares about them and doesn’t want them to be unemployed.

That’s a shame. We need more stories of people handling toxic relationships realistically and appropriately. Maybe then more people IRL would learn to do the same and avoid abuse and suffering.

Typically, a toxic work environment is the result of poor management, not poor employees. I mean yeah there are times when individuals are the problem, but more often than not it’s rooted in attitudes enshrined by management, and competent managers can turn a workplace around by treating the employees like humans instead of disposable units of labor.

I haven’t seen the show so I don’t know if it’s really that the people are shitty, or if the people are acting shitty because of poor workplace practices. The former isn’t really fixable, but the latter is.

2 Likes

It’s certainly possible that it was just leadership that was the problem, but that would make for a pretty short show if the entire premise is that it starts with a quality leadership change.