What TV Shows Are You Watching?

“The end is only the beginning…”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=61&v=f3om4V_-Y0Q

That’s a fucking scene.

Honorable mentions:

1. Conphas getting literally spanked by Cnaiür
  2. Kellhus leaving Leweth to die
  3. The entire scene with the Wracu (no spoilers on what that entails or who’s involved)

#15characterhyped

Two weeks later and I’m free. I don’t know what took over me but I watched all of the show AND read the entire post-show comics run. 20+ years of content.

I’ll get to the reboot later, I need to stop. 8D

1 Like

Has anyone watched the The Terror show?

No, but it’s on my shortlist. I might start anytime now.

It’s OK. The pacing is a bit odd, but I’ve enjoyed what I watched so far.

Read the book first though. That book is a treasure (the author’s shitbaggery nonwithstanding).

I have, and really liked it. Didn’t know anything else about the guy other than he taught me if one is to steal, steal from the forgotten masters.

He’s good at writing, but…

He’s a dangerous crackpot.

I’ve seen someone describe his as “if Glenn Beck wrote fiction”.

Oh no. 2.1 of his books were so good.

Working my way through The Toys That Made Us on Netflix. Really enjoying it. The writing is a bit too smarmy for my tastes, but you can really feel the love that motivated the creators to make this series. It’s been surprising to see what a pipe dream so many of the famous toy lines were.

I did not enjoy Ultraman on Netflix. I could never get used to the animation style, unlike the Dragon Prince season 1. Also, the show took what might have been an interesting concept, having an elderly man be the hero, and within just a couple episodes, reverted to the norm by having a high school boy become Ultraman. Finally, the plot was all over the place and I didn’t care about any of the characters.

By contrast, I’m enjoying the heck out of Black Sails. Yes, the show is ridiculous, what do you expect it’s on Starz, but outside of Horatio Hornblower, which I’ve seen numerous times already, I can’t think of another TV show that is about the Age of Sail or pirates. I’m near the end of season two and I’m really enjoying it.

Oh, also the opening credit sequence and theme are awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFTcA4QLHw0

3 Likes

I’ve finally gotten around to finishing Chernobyl, the HBO miniseries on the 1986 nuclear disaster. For people unaware, this is not a documentary, but a dramatization of the events. The reason it took me a while is because it is just absolutely heavy, carrying an emotional weight that is required to portray the biggest man-made disaster so far. Particularly harrowing was the scenes in episode one, of onlookers in viewing the fire on the roof of the reactor building from a railroad bridge, unaware that they are being dusted with radioactive ash.

Despite the thematic and emotional weight, I think this series should be viewed by every single person on the planet. There are some artistic liberties taken, i.e. the combination of several scientists into one composite character, and there are some slight scientific issues, notably the “graphite tips” which aren’t so much tips there due to cheapness of construction but actually necessary (though poorly thought-out) parts of the reaction control mechanism, but beyond that the series is pretty much impeccable.

Particularly I liked how the series is structured but that has some slight spoilers ahead. In most disaster scenarios, we see more or less what is going on and why things go wrong. We get familiar with a couple of characters, then see how they are impacted. The series instead opens on the explosion of the reactor and we then get transported inside the reactor control room, where the people in charge themselves at the time have no clue what is going on. Both the characters on screen and the audience itself is confused (well, except for the three physicists who know exactly what happened at Chernobyl).

This is somewhat of a bold choice as the Audience is lacking knowledge. However, that makes the scenes in episode 5, which go step-by-step through all the things that lead to to the disaster, hit you all the more harder. It also makes those scenes incredibly tense as the audience knows what is about to happen and strongly sides with the subordinates who plead to end the proceedings, but are forced to do it anyway by the superior.

1 Like

I’m in. I too have seen Horatio too many times, and I can only watch Master & Commander so many times…

images

6 Likes

There’s always Sharpe Sharpe (TV series) - Wikipedia

1 Like

Fifteen characters OF HAIL SATAN!

making me wanna go back and rewatch Hornblower. Haven’t seen those in forever. Just watched all of Sharpe’s last year then read all of the books.