What movie have you seen recently?

I understand what you were trying to say. I just disagree.

1 Like

Oh, I see what happened now. panfried was talking to you not me. Iā€™m a dolt, please just ignore me.

Hereditary is a fantastic horror film, although if are looking for a popcorn horror flick, probably not for you. Itā€™s just behind The Witch as one of the best horror films in the past decade in my opinion. A24 is really killing it when it comes to finding gems to produce.

2 Likes

Originally, Lucas was going to make his own Flash Gordon movie but couldnā€™t get the rights, so he made his own.

Oh man, I loved The VVitch, Iā€™ll definitely have to go see this too!

Tucker and Dale vs Evil is dumb but funny in parts. The trailer is 80% of the jokes, so maybe just watch that.

Jaws/Jaws 2 double feature. The former is a classic and holds up really well and, damn, thereā€™s a lot smoking. The latter is forgettable.

Ant Man and the Wasp was really great. Itā€™s a fun enjoyable movie with a really cool and sympathetic vilain. The larger roles for Hope and Hank Pym really round out the movie and are great characters for Scott Lang to play off against. The use of the shrinking/growing is also excellently done. Luis Pena almost steals the entire movie. Overall, itā€™s mostly just a really fun light movie with great banter and chemistry between the cast.

I also saw Icarus over the weekend, a Netflix movie that won the Academy Award for best documentary, about the Russian doping scandal. It was really great and I was honestly shocked at the scope of how widespread the Russian doping and cheating really is. Highly recommended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXoRdSTrR-4

Jurassic World happened to be on TV when I was at the in-laws. I background watched it. Itā€™s very stupid but not entirely lacking fun and charm.

I heard some complaints about the movie makers ignoring the current science of what dinosaurs looked and acted like. As in, dinosaurs have feathers now.

But they address this in the movie! The lead geneticists says:

ā€œNothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didnā€™t ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.ā€

So I have no problem with the dinosaur science in Jurassic World being out of date or just plain wrong. They were never doing pure science, just trying to make an entertainment product.

My problem with film comes from shit like, running away from the T-rex in high heels.

Fun facts - That was at Bryce Dallas Howardā€™s insistence, and all of the running we saw her do in that film, she did it in heels. I do not know why, but she did.

I also like to think of the ā€œtraditionalā€ dinosaurs if you will, as Hollywood dinosaurs in the same way that Hollywood cowboys, or ninjas or hackers or any number of other things, are romanticized versions of those things. It doesnā€™t make them bad, per se, but it makes them compelling and exciting for a story. A giant feathered bird is nowhere near as scary as a big, scaly lizard if your goal is a movie monster, just like a dude who just herds cattle and doesnā€™t get in sixgun gun duels isnā€™t as exciting as the Lone Ranger.

Leave No Trace was about as beautiful and heartbreaking as I can stand. It could have easily been a movie about a terrible dad but they did a great job making him sympathetic without being too sentimental or on-the-nose. It also had a very satisfying use of locations and color to convey a change in tone as the movie went on. I canā€™t think of anything I didnā€™t like, but Iā€™m beginning to realize that once a movie crosses a certain threshold of enjoyment my critical brain turns off and Iā€™m just along for the ride.

Was baby sitting my infant niece and toddler nephew this past weekend and toy story 3 came on. I tried to not watch but I did and got kicked in the feels.

I re-watched Willow the other day, and had enough fun watching it that I realized that if they remade the movie with a decent budget, and clean up the dialogue/acting to get all of the George Lucas out of the script, it could be legitimately great.

1 Like

Everyone should watch Sorry to Bother You. What happens when you give someone politically conscious and creatively ambitious as Boots Riley a film? You get one of the best biting, modern satires that puts itā€™s own individual stamp on cinema. Acting is across the bored incredible and no matter how weird or bizarre the film gets, it crescendos beautifully into itā€™s various messages mostly of capitalism, work activism, slavery, viral culture, American apathy culture, and the black experience of being a self-made person.

If the trailer or style appealed to you at all, watch that film. Easily going to stay in my Top 5 of the Year.

3 Likes

Just got saw Sorry to Bother You. Itā€™s the weirdest thing Iā€™ve ever seen in a theater. For that reason alone Iā€™m glad I saw it.

Incredibles 2!!!

There are a few things that bothered me, but mostly the fact that it wasnā€™t just Frozone the movie. Otherwise excellent movie.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/kurt_loder/status/1024736082108325890

Due to an unexpected overnight stop in Dublin, I went to the cinema twice in two days.

Mission Impossible Fallout is really good. The story is garbage, of course, at about the same level as the other Mission Impossible movies, but the action is literally the best Iā€™ve seen in years. Not just Tom Cruise, but the other actors and stunt performers are all going all-out in making this super exciting.

The fight scene in the toilet is one of the most wince-inducing experiences in recent movie watching history, and in a really good way. The car chases in Paris actually feel dangerous. The end sequence gets a bit silly, but you really feel it. All way more brutal than previous MI movies.

This series has become my favourite franchise, as I think Iā€™ve stated in past, way above Star Wars. I think a lot of that is because they spend three or four years on one thing, not getting distracted with TV shows or spinoffs, or changing the formula or merchandising or theme parks or anything like that. Just put the camera on Tom Cruise running, or jumping, or, in this case, Henry Cavill hitting someone in the face with a laptop, and Iā€™ll eat my popcorn and come back for more any time.

1 Like

I signed up to Letterboxd, which is like Goodreads but for movies. As Iā€™ve been keeping a movie diary since 2013, I had all the data I needed to add 270 movies. Thankfully they have an importer free to use, and it was super easy to format my txt files into csv files.

I used the same rating concept as I do on my podcast, which is to go purely by subjective liking, with very few movies getting 5 stars and the movies I donā€™t finish getting 0.5 stars.

I used tags for my own categorisation, which is to say ā€œyupā€ if I thought I was going to enjoy it and did, with layers of ā€œjust okayā€, ā€œanti-disappointmentā€, ā€œknown badā€ and ā€œultimate disappointmentā€ which I know Iā€™ve talked about on this forum before.

I didnā€™t bother logging each time I watched a movie multiple times, but I guess I will in the future.

Here are my top movies:

Only four movies get 5 stars: Mad Max Fury Road, The Aviator, Wall-E and Jurassic Park.

And here are my lowest rated movies:

Well done to Alien Covenant, The Circle, Suicide Squad, A.I., La La Land, Scrooged, Mission Impossible 2, Prometheus and Hugo for scooping the coveted 0.5 star rating!