What are your favorite parts of this forum?

I think a parenting thread would also be fun based on earlier comments.

2 Likes

I like most of the forum that I see, having blocked some categories from showing. I like the random banter. I like the personal threads where people share their hobbies and interests in a way more in-depth fashion than they ever would on Twitter or whatever.

I like the one-off video game recommendations. I always like to think of myself as into board games, but it turns out I never play them. I guess following along with other peopleā€™s game diaries is enough of a fix for me.

1 Like

My favourite feature of this forum isnā€™t a specific part. Itā€™s that it has parts.

To contrast it with Facebook, I hate visiting the site so much because itā€™s just a hose pipe of other peopleā€™s stuff. I canā€™t go there and say ā€œHey, just show me peopleā€™s opinions of moviesā€ or ā€œLetā€™s see what people are up to at the weekend.ā€

Instead, a post about how someone is getting engaged is followed by a post about politics is followed by a post about struggles with depression is followed by a cool link to a fun video.

Itā€™s great that people are more open about sharing mental health issuesā€¦ but that they feel Facebook is now a ā€œsafe spaceā€ to share that stuff makes it a non-safe space for me. I canā€™t let myself be immersed in other peopleā€™s mental health issues in a hose-pipe fashion, for the sake of my own mental health!

This forum lets me take it at my own pace. When Iā€™m feeling good and ready for it, Iā€™ll open the Depression thread on this forum. But it doesnā€™t get forced into my reading when Iā€™m in the mood for music videos.

Same with politics. As we all seem to, I love a good political discussion. But Facebook just has all that stuff all the time. Thereā€™s no decision to be made like ā€œOkay, whatā€™s up with the electionā€ itā€™s just all election all the time.

This afternoon I knew if I went onto Facebook, it would be all my UK friends in mourning. And I was right! But I went there knowing what itā€™d be like, so was prepared for it. Normally Facebook is just ā€œfuck you, hereā€™s some real downers ggā€

Anyway, thatā€™s why I donā€™t have Facebook on my phone but do bookmark this forum.

7 Likes

This is so accurate and something I hadnā€™t thought of. Itā€™s why I check the Forum even when I canā€™t deal with Twitter of Facebook. I can just check the parts I can handle. I know there are tools to do that on other social media, but theyā€™re imperfect and too much work. Here itā€™s built into the system.

I like to read everything on the forum. I donā€™t contribute much, mostly because I feel that my opinions are already being voiced by others there, adding a ā€œhey! me too!ā€ isnā€™t very productive in my eyes.

I have been trying to share a few things here and there that are happening in my life.

I also feel that sometimes we get too high on our own fumes and almost feel obligated to help bring up some more nuanced discussion to some threads. We run into hyperbole pretty fast. I do it too so pot, meet kettle.

Another thing this place has that somehow I donā€™t usually stumble into elsewhere is just the simplest upgrades. Rym made some comment about shower heads. Changed my life. I need more of that basic shit around the home advice. I installed a rack in the shower to hold things. Godly.

1 Like

Recently Iā€™ve been debating going stage four Forum and leaving, but Iā€™ve found I need a third Social Media site and canā€™t find anywhere based around my current interests that I actually like. Iā€™m not willing to climb the social ladder to gain the amount of respect there I have here. I donā€™t really mind it here, but I do feel like the odd one out for a variety of reasons. Iā€™m not really coming here to participate anymore, Iā€™m just coming here because I have been for my whole life that matters.

I mean, a few of us are doing that. Lizzy has a history thread, Scott is on about K-pop, I have a thread dedicated to trying to make a shitty game less shitty.

I think we tolerate this sort of microblogging pretty well. Itā€™s a good format for something that a small handful care about, and someone knows well enough to keep a thread alive but not enough that theyā€™d write a book or something.

2 Likes