Wargroove

Wagon is way way stronger than Advance Wars APC.

So is this game a yes buy at full price?

Do you have money? Do you like Advance Wars? Do you not just want to play one of the existing Advance Wars games again? Do you have nothing better to do? Do you want to play right now instead of patiently waiting for an inevitable discount?

Funnily enough, I got it cheap on Switch.

I bought in on steam (so I can stream it: stay tuned). But Iā€™m playing it on the Switch. It didnā€™t show up on the Amazon store, so I bought it direct on Nintendo.

When I did, Nintendo was like ā€œyou have all these coinsā€ and they ended up giving me like $12 off the game.

Itā€™s not Advance Wars.

A little clumsier. A little less elegant. Units are more disposable.

But itā€™s the closest a non-Advance-Wars game has ever gotten to scratching that itch. Itā€™s good. Itā€™s not great by my narrow definition of great, but itā€™s definitely work getting and playing right now.

Be warned. Switch version can only do local multiplayer unless you pay.

I think they brought one of the Advance Wars games to the Wii U virtual console, hopefully theyā€™ll eventually bring it to the online service.

ā€œIf your definition of terrible music is ā€˜this is not Mozartā€™, youā€™re aiming too highā€.

Advance Wars is a stunningly good game series, and Wargroove falls short. But itā€™s damn close, and worth a purchase if only to show that youā€™re ready to buy an Advance Wars game if one ever comes out.

Thereā€™s a lot of fun in the Puzzle Mode though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9nrj6-gp8s

So whoā€™s everyoneā€™s favorite general? I really enjoy Valderā€™s playstyle but im also partial to anything that letā€™s me summon skeletons.
Also like Greenfinger, seems like he has a high skillcap on the shenanigans you can pull with the vines

Vampire Girl. Her power is extremely useful.

1 Like

Big free expansion.

2 Likes

We should play (and stream) some games. We spent all this time on our RTMP setup :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etVjwOTABPU

I picked up wargroove. I tried playing advance wars over a decade ago, had a lot of difficulties with it, so I never got that far. However with being about decade older, I figured Iā€™d give war-groove a try. Iā€™m enjoying it so far. The way that buildings give up their lives(population) for heals(although itā€™s interesting that thereā€™s kind of a incentive in some ways to reenforce, let your city get captured, and then recapture if you want more re-enforce points? or at least, it seems like thereā€™s a weird strategy there if you care more about re-enforcements at the front now rather then money). The inability to combine units also feels awkward sometimes? Like, sometimes I want to just send units to block for a turn, or worse, want to send them deliberately to their death for no benefit then getting them out of my way.

EDIT: any of yall manage to do the co-op campaign? it sounds cool to me.

1 Like

Did any of yall hit a wall in this game? Iā€™ve been playing the campaign, and I havnā€™t been able to get a S rank on ā€œMaking Friendsā€(act 2 side 3), and Iā€™ve gotten Cā€™s on every mission since ā€œAnd Old Friendā€(Act 3 Mission 2). I went from getting Sā€™s consistently easily, to Cā€™s while worrying about losing.

I havenā€™t done the co-op yet, but I got As or Ss on almost every map without too much trouble. Though I relied on RNG a little bitā€¦

Iā€™m not very good at it sadly and my friends are even worse. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve gotten an A since early in the campaign and IIRC Iā€™m stuck somewhere in the campaign. Iā€™ll look into it at some point.

Iā€™ve discovered the AIā€¦isnā€™t great. At least, in arcade maps itā€™s easy to take advantage of the fact that the ai doesnā€™t expand that rapidly in the early phases and just spam/take as much as early as you can. Especially if you can distract them with a conflict while sending cheaper units to conquer. It will kill my commander whenever it has the chance though. Gets me a lot

So Iā€™ve been playing a lot more wargroove. Tried out the co-op campaign with a friend, itā€™s really quite interesting. We didnā€™t score that well though. Usually Iā€™m a big fan of ā€œthe campaign modeā€, but I find the story of the campaign veryā€¦limp and contrived? Like, a big chunk of past act 1 is repeatedly like ā€œyou exist, must have contrived reason to fight that doesnā€™t make sense, then become friends laterā€. The arcade mode seems far more enjoyable from a narrative perspective despite the premise being far more contrived(or perhaps because?)

Scoring is still super weird. It reminds me a lot of valkyria chronicles, except it isnā€™t as horribly awful as valkyria chronicles. Like, I think thatā€™s aided by the fact that you canā€™t just like, dragon rush every single map for that sweet sweet S ranking(well, maybe Iā€™m just not good enough for the cheese strats), and I still use a decent mix of units rather then just building one type(dispite some forays with pike spamming). Well, and despite some of the story being flat in wargroove it isnā€™t as patently offensive as valkyria chronicles.