Vintage Anime for the Uncouth

Yes, that’s the one.

The first anime I got as a digisub was Live Hina. In my defense I was maybe 14, but I loved that garbage.

Now my real OG anime cred is buying VHS and VCD fansubs from Aoshi’s Anime Realm, which was some Taiwanese guy in NYC. You emailed him what titles you wanted and then had to send him money orders. I was always giving my mom my lawn mowing money to get them. I got Chobits, Tenshi no Shippo, DiGi Charat, Full Moon wo Sagashite, .Hack//sign, Galaxy Angel, and Azunanga Daioh. I fully admit I had some instances of questionable garbage taste when I was in my mid teens.

How topical, the most comprehensive analysis of Tenchi got released a couple months ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8MbwOfS6kA

1 Like

Oh man, I used to love the hot garbage that was Tenchi Muyo and Love Hina. Back when I would linger around irc channels waiting for the latest episode to drop. My first year of college was weird.

You all need to watch Madbull 34. It is one of the craziest things I’ve ever seen.
2015-02-25

1 Like

Speaking of vintage I’ll stan Macross 7, it’s pretty dumb but I enjoy the hell out of it.

Macross 7 never got a international release. So good luck in finding the fansubs.

I literally have a copy on my harddrive from years ago.

hqdefault

1 Like

So I started watching Ranma 1/2 because I am going to make my YouTube shit talk a reality. Man it holds up surprisingly well so far, and theres a real charm to the animation and scenery I think often just isn’t there any more in anime.

I wasn’t sure where to place this tweet but this might be the best location.

1 Like

People don’t think that kinds of questions through properly. I don’t get how Gundam drop on first round when it’s one of the best answers I can think of. There is lots of it, there is more being made and and it is in separate pieces. Movies, OVAs, long series, short series, new stuff, old stuff, that variation would make it much more pleasant than having to watch just one series over and over again.

1 Like
1 Like
2 Likes

Found all my VKLL sailor moon tapes LOL!! !

20200906_094954|243x500

3 Likes

Oh Shit!

Mine are in a box somewhere at my mom’s house. What a wild era that was. I remember getting these tapes in the mail and immediately hosting a massive Sailor Moon bingewatching party. We started with the second half of R and went on to the end over a few weekends.

1 Like

To be able to have an anime party right now…

1 Like

I remember walking to the closest circle k to get the money order for these haha. I showed these to my nieces and nephews and told them stories of tape trading days. My sister-in-law is from the Philippines and loved sailor moon as a kid also. We got super drunk one night talking about sailor moon and singing karaoke. Ahh good times

1 Like

A cool retrospective of anime’s early US arrivals. Also if you’re into trashy anime Hazel is doing amazing work.

4 Likes