Ukraine

I find it fascinating how much Russia invests in and cares about sports. Yet of all the things I follow, every corner of the sports world has turned against them quickly and in a big way.

1 Like

Klitschko Putin
THE CLASH IN KIEV

2 Likes

Of course Putin would never go for it, but he his team worked to build his reputation as a strong and virile manly man over the years that it would make the most sense. Decide this whole mess via single combat like the heroes of legend!

Also, it solves the issue presented in the MASH dialog above, no innocent people are killed and injured in the conflict. The only problem is, why should Ukraine have to risk everything on the outcome of one boxing (or anything goes) match when they were not the aggressors? Though if they like their chances maybe they would agree to it. Of course it would never happen so it’s moot, but on Earth-653 or something

1. Didn’t expect “hack the planet” from a government.

2. Google doc??

I can’t verify this tweet of course, bit if true, this sounds like a huge blow for Russia.

I imagine that these losses would trigger some withdrawal, but what do I know. I’m feeling hopeful.

Update on Chernobyl:

Not sure what they were expecting

The US intelligence community has not exactly covered itself in glory since 2001. But it seems like they called this more or less exactly right.

So what happened this time?

They thought sharing the plans in public would shame Putin into not launching the attack. Turns out Putin has no shame, and knowing the plan in advance didn’t help Ukraine fight back, nor did any European nations take it seriously.

2 Likes

There’s actually a very good analogy to Trump’s run for President in 2016 in there regarding the Democrats.

Ukranian friend I mentioned up-thread spoke on a podcast with a Russian friend of his and some of their other Ukranian friends. Some history. Some current events. Mostly tragic. Very important listen.

1 Like

Serious news: go Ukraine, go!

I can’t get a permalink out of the NYT feed, but 11 minutes ago:

Valerie Hopkins Reporting from Kyiv, Ukraine
President Volodymyr Zelensky signed an application for Ukraine’s membership in the European Union.

In “what a farce” news:
This looks like something from a Mel Brooks movie:

Caption is, “President Vladimir V. Putin presided over a meeting of top officials on Monday to address the economic crisis touched off by Western sanctions”

Also in “no fuckin’ shit, guys” news:

1 Like

On Ukraine is part of the EU, assuming they successfully join, will that alone be enough for Putin to reconsider his stance?

Rather than reclaiming ‘Russian land’ it will be officially Russia vs the EU and allies

Mel Brooks

FIFA’s now suspended Russian teams from competing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/02/28/fifa-suspends-russian-teams/

2 Likes

When you’re so corrupt that FIFA won’t touch you.

3 Likes

Social media is a really strange phenomenon.

2 Likes