This is Google

http://stadiacountdown.com

4 Likes

Iā€™ve been laughing at that, and its data site, for 15 minutes.

Stadia feels like the wrong pluralization to me. It sounds like youā€™re talking about multiple stadiums.

ā€œIā€™m so hyped to buy a PlayStations on Black Friday.ā€

Man theyā€™re really generous I give it eighteen months TOPS.

Google is rather infamous for keeping a rotting corpse in the hospital bed long after the doctors have given up on it. I expect at least a few years.

I never successfully got any of the cloud print services to work, although I also havenā€™t tried very hard. The only way Iā€™ve ever printed from a mobile device is to connect directly to a printer on the same network via wifi. Iā€™ve also done it at a FedEx/Kinkos by sending my document as a pdf attachment to a special email address.

Other than methods like that, how can an Android or Chromebook device print anything without Google Cloud Print?

Itā€™s unclear.

That said, Iā€™m perhaps the last person you wanna ask about printing. Iā€™m opposed to it in general because I like trees and any time I can get away without printing I do.

When I absolutely have to I resort to using a desktop or laptop. If I need to print from a phone I send what I need to print to a desktop or laptop and print it that way. This is one of those areas in which. I guess in your parlance you can say Iā€™ve refused to learn.

1 Like

Thatā€™s definitely true for service where the resources are entirely internal to Google but their game streaming platform also requires they give money to other companies, which could quicken their decline.

Iā€™m going to call BS on the Stadia Screen shot, because I canā€™t find those settings anywhere in my Stadia.

This is what the stadia settings page looks like

Why do you have a stadia?

1 Like

In one word?

Convenience.

In many?

Other than that I find the technology compelling. Iā€™m really interested in where they will take the tech and what theyā€™ll be able to do with it, so I figured it was a small bit of money to help everyone push this along.

I donā€™t buy the whole ā€œoh but you donā€™t own it!ā€ argument. You donā€™t really own your steam games either. If steam shut down right now all of us would be out thousands of bucks worth of software. And sure, steam has proven that itā€™s going to stick around for a while, but no one really knew that in 2007 either. Everyone was crying then that if steam closed up then weā€™d be shit out of luck. And itā€™s not like Valve as a company had a proven track record of running large scale cloud based system back then either. They made games, good games sure but just games.

I also donā€™t buy into the whole ā€œGoogle murders all of their productsā€ argument either. Yeah, we gripe and moan about how quickly google will bring out new products and murder them. However, google has more than a few products that theyā€™ve keep going for 15+ years now.

When I look at the whole googleā€™s killed 190 products list, I canā€™t help but think of how many of those are basically versions of the same thing, as well as some crazy niche products.

Finally, Say google shuts down stadia in 5, 6 years. I feel thatā€™s no different than Sony or MS coming out with a new console. Yeah, sure, I still have a PS3 and a PS2 and I could, possibly, maybe, if I could be assed to, pull them out and plug them in and find my old games and play them. Maybe, cause you know the caps could have gone bad or the ps could have died, or the disc could be too scratched or degraded, cause cds/dvds DO have a lifespan on them folks, and then I wouldnā€™t be able to play those games anyways.

But I never do pull out those old games and play them.

IF I ever do play those old games, itā€™s on a new console/system/emulator.

IF.

Iā€™ve met a guy who does the curation for the retro gaming con in CNY, I find what he does important and uplifting. Itā€™s amazing that heā€™s pouring everything heā€™s got into keeping those old computers and game systems alive. But honestly thatā€™s nothing more than a curiosity to me. Something I, and I feel the vast majority of people would spend 10 minutes checking out and then go home and play whatever is current.

In short, Why not? it costs me $10/month. And some time next year I wonā€™t need to pay anything.

I live 30 minutes outside Syracuse, Iā€™ve been playing Destiny 2 and itā€™s been butter smooth. Hell, Netflix usually isnā€™t this smooth.

In a few months to a year you will be singing a different tune. I would bet actual real United States Dollars on that.

Iā€™ve got no problem with anyone trying a project like this out. As long as you go in with your eyes open! I think zehava is being a bit optimistic, but still, if you can justify a few hundred dollars over the span of a few years for a good gaming experience, why not?

For example, I bought a laptop in 2010, hoping to get at least three or four years use out of it. In the end I used it for seven years. I bought my current laptop in 2017, hoping to get seven years out of it, but due to differing use cases and technology, Iā€™ll probably use it for maybe five years instead of seven.

Meanwhile, games I bought on Steam that used to run just fine on my laptop on OSX/MacOS? Turns out with the next MacOS Catalina update, most of them wonā€™t run any more! Things like Half Life 2 and Portal. Theyā€™re not updated with 64 bit binaries or whatever. Itā€™s fine, because I also have windows installed, but thereā€™s no guarantee that any game you buy anywhere will keep working, unless you keep many legacy machines around and plugged in ready to go.

I mean, I bought Google Glass with the idea that "Hey, this is either going to be amazing or crap. If itā€™s amazing, great. If itā€™s crap, then it will be so crappy it will be like owning a Virtual Boy. You canā€™t lose. I had the same idea when I bought Nintendo GameCube, DS, Wii, Switch, and Labo on launch day.

The problem with Stadia is that unlike Virtual Boy or Google Glass, it doesnā€™t have that funky hardware factor. I mean, if itā€™s good, itā€™s good, But if it stinks, what do you have to show for it? A crappy controller? I already had a Steam controller and got rid of it.

Did you actually think the Steam Controller would be good?

I wasnā€™t sure. What I did know is that the XBox 360 controller wasnā€™t perfect with itā€™s crummy d-pad and the Steam controller was so cheap, it was worth a shot.

Now I have the 8BitDo SN30 Pro+ and I am not going to need any other controller for many many years.

https://www.8bitdo.com/sn30-pro-plus/

My question is, why do you think that?

Google is blaming Stadiaā€™s shortcomings on the game developers. Wow.

Far be it from me to defend the megacorp, but, isnā€™t it the developers responsibly to implement 4k as a feature?

Do we blame Sony because every game on the PS4 isnā€™t in 4k?
Do we blame Microsoft?

Are we really mad at Netflix because every movie isnā€™t in 4k?

Yes google was like ā€œweā€™ve got streaming at 4k*!ā€¦ā€

Some of the games do indeed stream at 4k.

I get it guys, you donā€™t like the idea that Google is doing this, youā€™re probably just as upset at MS and Sony because their right on their heels. But canā€™t we be reasonable?

*If youā€™ve got the bandwidth, are signed up with the premium service, are using a Chromecast ultra, and the developer implemented it

1 Like

FWIW

I donā€™t know if Iā€™ve actually said exactly why I personally hate Stadia. Itā€™s not because I donā€™t like google or that I think it wonā€™t work.

Itā€™s that the first stadia exclusive game will be the first game, that is unable to be owned, in principal. Itā€™s the end of the battle for ownership of games youā€™ve purchased. Those who want to do what they wish with their games have finally lost.

If a dev wantā€™s no mods on a stadia exclusive. Boom, no mods forever. Racist dev wantā€™s no black people to play, we got you fam, or just has a thing against IP addresses that end in 7 or people who use firefox or whatever? All good. Company decides the game isnā€™t profitable? All good we just shut it down, and nobody can ever play it again or archive it. All you get to keep is your memories.

These reasons are why I hope this is a garbage fire, and Iā€™m quite glad that googleā€™s average product life is like 4 years.