Things of Your Day

I am picky when it comes to textures. I do not mind trying new food to see how they are like but certain textures trigger a gag reflex. For example I like a potato, can not have mashed. To me it tasted like glue paste.

Are thick crinkle cut fries like gag reflex ninjas to you?

More like overly large streak fries that tend to do it.

Oh jeez usually glue paste potatoes means they’re like, mashed way too much or even blendered. I’m not one to tell an adult how to eat but you might try some different ones?

I guess not a mile and a half. If “stgeorgeutah.com” is trustworthy, 802 yards was the record in 2013, so half a mile. But still on a runway.
Long golf drives fly far, but record bid falls short – St George News

Pros usually drive in the 300 range in tournament play. 300 yards is really far! But it’s a completely different sport than long-driving. Different balls, different clubs, different setup.

I have been experimenting with that, my mom I now know was a horrible cook and been forcing myself to retry things because of it.

Try mashed potato at a fancy restaurant where they are loaded with heavy cream. Texture might still upset you, but the delicious flavor will make it irresistible.

Chunky mashed potatoes are also a thing you could give a shot to ease the transition towards the texture you have an issue with.

Or 4,224 marching steps.

1 Like

I was super picky and super skinny until I turned eight. Hot dogs, bologna sandwiches, american cheese singles, sweet pickles, chicken nuggets, vanilla ice cream (never chocolate), green kool-aid. In kindergarten I asked for a “plain” ice cream at mcdonalds and they insisted they didn’t have that flavor (it was all vanilla, the flavor was just the topping… what I meant was one without any topping). A cheeseburger had to be ‘plain’. I got in trouble a lot of times for not eating lunch at school, with my family, relatives, etc. Could have contributed to me being like 6 and 8 inches shorter than my younger brothers as well.

Multiple contributing factors towards that pickiness. A lot of it was textural. I think I didn’t like anything that had multiple textures. All the way to disliking sesame seed buns. And obviously as a kid I had a preference for sweet things and not intense flavors. My parents also were super poor and barely getting by, and while my dad was a cook most of what I ate was made by my mom who to this day is very limited in food skills (notably I take much more after my father and grandmother and am at least passable in a kitchen). I kinda feel bad though because I made things harder for my mom. One of many things where I wish the me that exists today could have gone back and “fixed” things.

I also want to say a lot of the things I turned down kinda make sense in retrospect. I preferred pasta with just like butter and garlic over ragu store-bought jarred sauce and a heapton of that fake parmesan sprinkles from a can. I can now make a very good pasta sauce or two myself. You also wouldn’t get sick or make a mistake making an american grilled cheese sandwich, so it was effectively “safer” food imho.

I mentioned when I turned eight because that year I spent the summer in Minnesota with my grandmother who was at least a passable cook and I gained a lot of weight… which was good at first until it wasn’t. Fresh good food, all kinds of variety, fresh caught fish or picked fruits, things from the garden, bread from a nice old-fashioned bakery, etc. Turned the world around for me. I learned I actually liked certain things. I just wish I had taken more time to learn from her then and to do more of that stuff myself. I rarely helped in the garden, etc, and that all would have been good things to learn then.

I was still a little picky after that, but not because of textures/flavors so much. I also had to learn or be taught a lot of specifics. There’s always been a lot of things I simply didn’t understand intuitively, and my family largely didn’t teach me. Plus my family seems to me to be very rude as guests at a restaurant or whatever, and very obsessed with american social status type-things in a st louis culture kind of way, so I didn’t learn certain kinds of things until I was on my own for a few years.

We’ve discovered similar issues for our son, where we thought he picky because of kid brain and not just choosy on his food. It took him getting really into brussel sprouts for us to realize he just preferred things other than our go to dinners. It’s surprising, more than it should be, how healthy kids will eat if you let them be the ones to choose their own food, at least part of the time.

In my case, it was pretty much all seafood when I was a kid. I wouldn’t touch it at all. Then as I got older, I started liking higher quality seafood, but still avoid the poor quality stuff like crazy. And then I developed an allergy to some of the stuff I started liking as an adult, but that’s another story…

My kid at least does love fruit a lot, so he gets some healthy nutrition there. Veggies are another story…

I was a bit picky as a young young child, and my mom had the “three bite rule” where if I ate three bites of something, not even big bites, I didn’t have to eat the rest and could have something I liked. At the very least it got me to try stuff and eat a bit more of a variety and even develop a taste for different things. Might help?

We’ve done a bit of that. Most of the time he still doesn’t like it, lol.

Teaching our son how to prepare the food helped push him to try more foods, plus he now knows how to properly handle a knife for chopping things.

2 Likes

So as a kid I was a bit of a double whammy. I was an impressively picky eater, like many kids appear to be based on just reading this thread. I also did and still do have parents that are crazy fad health nuts. This combo was not favorable towards me eating… anything at all.

As a child I was never allowed to have anything containing hydrogenated oils because this was the health fad of the 90s (I later learned this just means oil which you’ve passed hydrogen through). Unfortunately in practice this means basically anything in the grocery store. It’s really good for shelf life as it means oil goes rancid in like years rather than weeks so it’s in basically anything that has any oil in it.

This was only one of the many things that I wasn’t allowed to eat, I remember sodium nitrate also being one. Just a bunch of basically random things were not allowed.

I mostly got through my childhood on grilled cheese and the public school lunches.

I grew out of it the same way most people did. Puberty meant I was suddenly consumed with the desire to eat anything and everything and that’s exactly what I did.

My dad, despite forbidding me from eating most things other kids got by on (like chicken nuggets were a huge no) had the attitude that basically said, if there’s food in the house the kid isn’t gonna starve, if he doesn’t wanna eat don’t make him. He was right. If there’s food around the kid won’t starve.

1 Like

https://youtu.be/oMRYoKXcgSs

https://youtu.be/KSRWJMM98pM