The thread formerly known as "Weekend Coding"

That’s what I have always done. But I meant Jacob Kaplan-Moss literally said this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E613X3RBegI&t=346

Here we go again

$ python -m memory_profiler example.py

Line #    Mem usage  Increment   Line Contents
==============================================
     3                           @profile
     4      5.97 MB    0.00 MB   def my_func():
     5     13.61 MB    7.64 MB       a = [1] * (10 ** 6)
     6    166.20 MB  152.59 MB       b = [2] * (2 * 10 ** 7)
     7     13.61 MB -152.59 MB       del b
     8     13.61 MB    0.00 MB       return a

Update: One of my slacks is switching to discord. bitlbee still great, and there’s a plugin for discord.

2 Likes

It’s O(n), too!

Though one might also consider a much more efficient O(1) alternative that I would call “nuclear sort”.

https://youtu.be/MAlSjtxy5ak

Hmmm.

2 Likes

Sublime Text 3 is my fave editor, just giving it a shoutout since it looked like they were using it in the video.

Java is a shitty first language.

1 Like

I’m still partial to python for that.

I’m super biased as it’s my first language, but java is great as a first language. Afaict that’s all it’s good for is being a first language. It’s easy to teach a class in, and good for introducing people to basic programming concepts.

It’s terrible for actually doing work in though. When I was at RIT the CS curriculum was 3 years in java, and then the same 3 years done again in 1 year, in C++. In my case the assignments were exactly the same except in the new language.

Not a comp sci guy (BS in Screenwriting, transitioned into MS in information systems), but my first language was javascript which I think worked fine for teaching me looping, functions, identifiers and other core ideas.

The reason I think java is so good as a first language, is maybe a bit 2008 but it’s javadocs.

The language has built in documentation and it’s robust. I remember back in school going to C++ was a pain mostly because I had to transition away from these rigid and super helpful docs to like stack exchange posts for descriptions of what various functions did.

These days I believe documentation is just better in general. So maybe java’s kinda lost that edge it had a decade ago.

Mr. Redmon also has written some humorous commit messages and papers.

There’s a very nice Discord library for Python. I put together a basic Discord bot, and this library made the Discord part easy. It’s also a gentle introduction to asyncio.

1 Like

Yeah I’m using that for my bot too.

How’s that bot coming? I got time this weekend.

Finals are soon. I literally haven’t touched it since the day we started it.

Good luck with that.

1 Like

What’s the normal strategy for finding people to try out a computer game you are working on? I need to watch people play my game.

So far the only person I’ve had try my game project is my girlfriend, but due to the fact this is a first person platformer puzzle game, and she’s very much not good at mouse and keyboard controls, it’s super frustrating for her.

I can’t design a game that first teaches someone how to wasd and mouse, but also I want the learning curve to not be totally killer.

1 Like

If you’re a company you hire play testers. If you’re indie, you get them from the community. That could be your own community, if you have a following. It could be a commeunity of game devs you are a member of. Then you playtest their games as well. Could be a community of gamers you know. Upload that alpha/beta test and ask people to download and send feedback. Use something like itch.io.

Side note. Half-Life 1 has a tutorial that teaches people WASD. So do many other AAA FPS games. The Half-Life one is where I learned though. Before that, I was doing it wrong. I played Wolfenstein3D, Doom, and even a little Quake with keyboard only. There was nobody to tell me I was doing it wrong.

1 Like