The Lincoln Project

Feel free to just make up your own narrative that isn’t supported by the data.

According to its latest quarterly report with the Federal Election Commission, The Lincoln Project has also become a favorite for some of Hollywood’s political heavyweights, with a number of prominent Democratic donors shifting some of their 2020 election spend toward the PAC, which took in a total of more than $39 million this past quarter.

Among the PACs top 10 donors are Dreamworks co-founder David Geffen, who has contributed $300,000 to The Lincoln Project, as well as fellow Dreamworks co-founder and Quibi CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg, who has donated $100,000. The PACs biggest individual donor is businessman and oil heir Gordon Getty, who contributed $1 million.

Run by Republicans and bankrolled mostly by Democrats, The Lincoln Project has propelled itself onto the list of top spending super PACs thanks to cash infusions from small donors as well as billionaire backers.

The anti-Trump group raised a whopping $39 million from July through September, according to Federal Election Commission records filed Wednesday. That’s most of the nearly $59 million the PAC’s raised in the 2020 election cycle after launching late last year.

The Lincoln Project has attracted a massive online following through its viral ads that ridicule President Donald Trump. Trump’s attacks on The Lincoln Project have only helped it grow its list of supporters. The group spends big on Facebook ads to court potential donors, helping the group bring in 39 percent of its money from small donors giving $200 or less. That’s an unusually high mark for a super PAC, as these groups are typically funded almost entirely by wealthy donors.

Still, The Lincoln Project has also caught the attention of deep-pocketed Democratic patrons. In the third quarter, The Lincoln Project received $300,000 from the Sixteen Thirty Fund, a liberal nonprofit that injected $32 million in “dark money” into like-minded outside groups through August. The Lincoln Project joins a long list of super PACs filling their coffers with secret money from groups that don’t disclose their donors.

The group also brought in $1 million from Gordon Getty, a classical musician and billionaire heir to the Getty family fortune. It received six-figure checks from several other Democratic donors such as DreamWorks founder David Geffen, billionaire investor John Pritzker and Bain Capital executive Jonathan Lavine, among others.

1 Like

This sums up my feelings on this topic, if you disagree you should really analyze why you think the Lincoln Project is of any worth in making this country a better place.

4 Likes

but-you-dont-have-to-take-my-word-for-it

1 Like

I am in no way saying that the Lincoln project was a good investment. I did make assumptions about whom was donating to them, so mea culpa on that.

2 Likes

giphy (1)

If you didn’t care you wouldn’t have come back after your multiple month absence. Words are empty when actions defy them.

Have fun, I knew there was a reason I left this community :slight_smile:

Famous last words DoubleGomez used seven different times.

2 Likes

I don’t know why this keeps coming up, because it’s like basic politics, if you can divide your opponents. You should take any chance you can get to do so. If it means some funding goes to a group of disgruntled ex-republicans/republican’s. That’s the cost of doing business. Looking at the incomplete returns there is a lot of evidence of Republicans who ticket split for Biden and then voted for other republicans. You can see if if you go into the House districts and compare the vote, for example Bucks County PA voted Biden by 4% and voted for Rep Fitzpatrick (a Repbulcian) for 12%.

These cross over voters exist. If the Lincoln Project wants to keep routing and out attacking Trumpster Republicans. We should let them. If they somehow figure out how to create a Republican party that isn’t as racist, anti LGBTQ as before, it will only make the parties stronger. But while they are fighting themselves, we have a lot of opportunities to exploit those internal fights.

2 Likes

Reminds me that when I was running for office in the 10’s our campaign manager was a republican who hated people currently in office (republicans) so offered his experience to run our campaign logistically, lets just say we won. Should we not have used his help? His logistics helped us run a great campaign and it came without baggage.

A lot of y’all are failing to understand the point that TLP barely made any real difference in this election other than making fast/effective videos pointing out Trumps issues. They never really affected the White vote in this election and the receipts show it.

So what it divided opponents when most of them still voted for white supremacy.

IT WAS BLACK PEOPLE.

Edit; the fact that internet whites are crediting them over STACEY YVONNE ABRAMS, is an absolute insult to all the Black people, especially Black women that are the reasons the tide changed.

There are reasons why I don’t come here often, and it’s mainly the whiteness and male dominated posts. I’ve found my refuge in other places, and this is no longer it.

10 Likes

100% true black voters won us that election.

It’s also true if the “centrists” and the “leftist” start infighting before we even win the freaking senate or get governing. The only people who are going to suffer are the mainline Dem voters, largely POC people. So we should all get that shit together.

Goes back to my point I’m not real sure why we are focused on Lincoln project or really any group that tried to win votes against Trump. We still need to win Georgia. If we don’t win Georgia’s senate seats your swing voter in the senate will be Mitt Romney, Susan Collins, Lisa Murcowski and maybe Pat Toomey that’s not good for anything useful to get out of the senate.

We haven’t won yet.

FYI folks should donate to Fair fight. Stacey Abrams organization.

1 Like

See my post in another thread and discuss it in that thread, not this one:

This is happening here in this thread right now. There are a lot of people in here not actually breaking the rules, and who I agree with a lot. However, some of you are exhibiting an attitude and personality that is distasteful in a way that defies my ability to define it. It makes me not want to associate with you even though I nearly fully agree with you.

What I would like to point out is that none of the public political figures in the US who are to the left of the GOP, whether they’re centrists or communists, talk this way. While their positions on the issues vary, sometimes greatly, none of them give off that bad vibe, at least not publicly. If you’re a fan of Biden, Harris, AOC, Stacy Abrams, Ilhan Omar, Elizabeth Warren, Bernie, or whoever. My advice is to try to maybe emulate the language and demeanor of the people you support.

Doing this has many benefits. You will sound like less of an ass. You will communicate your ideas more effectively borrowing techniques from some of the world’s best communicators. You will be supporting them more by spreading their ideas that you agree with in the same way that they spread them, to help unity of message. Also, that’s just what those people you support would want you to do. They don’t want people spreading their message in a nasty way, because it brings them down. If you were door knocking for them with that attitude, you would be fired on day one.

Think of it sort of like you’re a kid playing basketball and you’re trying to copy Michael Jordan’s moves. It’s a good idea. A lot of kids doing just that grew up to play in the NBA.

As for this thread, I’m seeing a lot of what I’m seeing on Twitter, which is confirmation bias.

the tendency to interpret new evidence as confirmation of one’s existing beliefs or theories.

Everyone is looking at the data from the election and using it to support their argument that they were right all along. Everyone is using the same real data. Everything I see posted is convincing on its own. But everything is also telling a conflicting story.

I saw some data showing that there were indeed more Republicans who didn’t vote a straight line ticket, and voted for Biden + Republicans. Did Lincoln Project contribute to that? Maybe?

It’s also true what AOC is saying that Democrats who pulled to the left did better than those who tried to get conservatives to convert by remaining centrist.

My take is to obviously not give the Lincoln Project money or attention as there are many other places that are just obviously more worth your time. But also, it’s possible that they did do something positive. Focusing on them and talking about them so much is only going to benefit them. So if you want to hurt them, the best thing to do might be to just get their name out of your mouth and out of your head. Every time you find yourself about to post about how Lincoln Project sucks, instead make a post about how a group like Sunrise Movement kicks ass.

2 Likes

can I suggest fair fight ActBlue

AGAIN.just cause I was impressed with their ability to win Georgia. Stacey Abrams came thru.

2 Likes

Doesn’t matter if there isn’t a senate controlled by Democrats, your swing vote is currently getting two “Centrist” republicans to do anything I.E Mitt Romney, Lisa Murcowski, Susan Collins and Pat Toomey!.

If we win the two senate seats in Georgia, Senate control goes to the Democrats and they can make rules like get rid of the fillbuster and also the swing vote is Manchin… Personally rather be hoping for Manchin, than relying on two Republicans AND manchin. (not that Manchin is going to be a great critical vote but better than the above).

My take is that people need to learn to see these grifts coming. The people criticizing it didn’t make this thread, the critical support was giving it attention.

1 Like

That’s true, but I feel like we’ve cleared it up now, yes?