Texas vs the US Federal Government

This is a rapidly escalating crisis worthy of its own thread.

Some background.

Basically the governor of Texas has ordered the Texas National Guard to physically prevent the US Border Patrol from entering areas it “controls.” They are building deadly razor wire fortifications to harm migrants, and the US Border Patrol is attempting to gain access to destroy these fortifications.

After the Supreme Court ruled in favor of the Border Patrol, the governor of Texas issued an alarming statement.

If that sounds “civil-war adjacent” you are not wrong.

Shortly after, 24 additional Republican state governors signed a radical and dangerous statement of support. As of now, several of these states have pledged additional national guard troops from their own states to aid Texas.

Now, armed right wing nutjob militias are migrating into the standoff zone and I’m sure they won’t do anything crazy. Extremists are organizing rapidly around this as a potential flashbpoint.

This is a fluid and escalating situation.

1 Like

The sole legal remedy (unless the governor of Texas backs down) would be for Biden to federalize the Texas National Guard and then order them to allow the Border Patrol access to the border.

The last time this was done in a conflict with a state, it was in 1957 when Eisenhower federalized the Arkansas National Guard to desegregate Little Rock.

The question is whether or not the elements of the Texas National Guard currently defying the federal government would accept orders from the president.

1 Like

And when Kennedy did the same for the University of Alabama in 1963, vs George “segregation now, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever” Wallace

Which reminded me of this that I saw on my socials

2 Likes