Tea Drinkers

I might give that a go next when I finally make myself sick of the lamington tea.

Finally tried Harney and Sons Earl Grey with Bergamot.

Me gusta.

So Iā€™ve been moved to a new area in my office at work and my seat is a bit of a WTF. Thereā€™s half the desk space of everyone else, my workstation computer is on a filing cabinet, a column uses up what little floor space is left, and thereā€™s only one way in or out.

The upshot is, I have a swagged-out custom filing-cabinet-cum-standing-desk and a column that hides me from people walking by such that I can get away with essentially murder.

The real downside is the kitchenette for our area is far away through a security door, and looks like it is from the Chernobyl nuclear plant, and is a space I dare not enter. The only way now to get hot water for tea is use a drinking fountain and then find someone with a microwave at their desk.

Long story short: I plan to get an electric tea brewing setup that can fit hopefully in one of my drawers and pull out to use on demand. One that doesnā€™t take up a lot of room and is stylish yet discrete. Iā€™d like it to be something efficient that I can pull out and use without drawing enough power to pop a fuse, speed and capacity can both be low as long as I can get a cup or two for myself. Iā€™d prefer it to not need accessories or separate drinking cups since itā€™s for personal use only, so if it has a built in or included proprietary drinking vessel thatā€™s perfect. Easy to clean is also a plus.

Anyone use anything close to this? Iā€™ve looked, thereā€™s a lot of solutions but none yet are ā€œhereā€™s a thing, add cold water, add leaves, plug in, in a few minutes drink, and it it falls off your tiny desk it wonā€™t explode.ā€

My only options right now seem to be use small kettle to fill an infuser thermos, or, some manner of brewing station that then fills a carafe that then fills seperate cups/mugs/thermos. Ultimately my ideal solution isnā€™t any different, other than itā€™d be nice to have everything packaged together such that I could have a brewer that directly fills a small dedicated thermos/cup.

BAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

Anyway. This Guide has some pretty good beginner tips. At work, I use a stainless brew basket, a large mug and a can of leaf. Canā€™t get simpler.

Regarding the kettle, if you have any real interest in tea,.get one with temperature control. You donā€™t have to get the super fancy one listed above. Just make sure there are settings for temperatures in 10*ish increments betweeen 160 and 212 F. The 6-temp kettles are usually fine. If you just want boiling hot water for Bag of Dust drink, this one from Amazon looks super cool.

If you want a tea pot, this is my daily. I pour it into a hydroflask of the same volume for keeping it hot.

If youā€™re REALLY into tea, and donā€™t want no stinkin tea pots, get the Teforia Classic (and while youā€™re at it, get one for me, too).

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been drinking more tea than coffee and have been delving with other brands, types. Love drinking rose tea when I want to relax. Recently made a new friend at work that is so tea crazy and we went tea shopping. We plan on going to the next tea convention in Seattle.

Now, I need a legit water boiler that keeps water at the right temperature.

Eyeing the Zojirushiā€™s. , but have to figure out which is best for me. So pricey, but that tiny elephant is worth it.

1 Like

My family uses a Mr. Coffee Digital Electric Kettle. It has a digital thermometer that lets you set the water to whatever temperature you want.

Edit: Oh, and itā€™s way cheaper than that thing you linked.

I have this Zojirushi that I got some 9 years ago, I use it everyday and it still works perfectly and is amazing. It changed my life. Legit, no hyperbole here, it is hands down one of the best appliances Iā€™ve ever acquired. As a rabid tea drinker itā€™s on the same level as a fridge for a must have appliance.

2 Likes

Yep. Zojirushi is a well known brand that is known by reputation to be worth the money. I have no problem dropping a bill on quality products.

I bought my Zojirushi rice cooker in 2010. The internal battery died. This means the clock no longer displays or keeps the time when I unplug it. When I plug it in, itā€™s always 7am.

It still makes rice as perfectly as the day I bought it. I donā€™t need my rice cooker to be a clock. Well worth it.

Our fancy one is starting to make dry rice. Itā€™s still better than the cheap bucket style, but itā€™s definitely not making the quality of rice it used to.

IIRC you have a Panasonic and not a Zojirushi.

Arrives Friday. Zojirushi CD-WCC30 Micom Water Boiler & Warmer, Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M04LR6P/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_CqmOAbYDSEY8R

Perfect because Iā€™ll be downtown tomorrow so I canā€™t get more tea at Uwajimaya and have it ready for Friday.

2 Likes

my zojirushi pot still kickin it. My panasonic hot pot showing a little crust.

2 Likes

I regret only getting a 3L vs 4L Zojirushi. I keep have to refilling.

Privilege Problems.

2 Likes

I too have this regret some days. Usually when I have company over.

I have amazing friends.

(The Harney teas were from one of the Harney sons I played WoW with. He saw me post random tea stuff on IG. We had a convo and he decided to send me free tea.)

Tea all day.

1 Like

Oh hey, Taylors of Harrogate! Omnutia and I both lived not too far away from there. Iā€™ve been to the actual place, too, that was pretty cool, as well as going to the original Bettyā€™s Tea Room for high Tea.

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_VsxGdECYI

1 Like

That is my friend, Emeric who I played WoW with back in the day. <3 That was a fun video

Was planning on posting here again.

Lunar New Year is my jam. The 2nd re-steep was just as good as the first.

Also fun article I saw from a tea vendor that I subscribe to about re-steeping: https://plumdeluxe.com/re-steeping-tea

They have really good combination blends when you want to try something different. The Vanilla Toddy, Nanaā€™s Peach Black Tea, and Strawberries and Cream are ones I recommend.

4 Likes

I notice his last name is Harney. I assume he is ā€œ& sonsā€