Star Wars: The Disney Era

Gravity in 3D was pretty spectacular, as The whole movie was designedly as a theme park ride type experience from the start.

The Life of Pie was really fun in 3D too. They even played with the apparent aspect ratio too, and made the “screen” smaller in some sections so Sea life could jump out the edges of the screen. It certainly added to the movie.

Mad Max hadn’t interesting use of 3D but the times it was bad and noticeable spoiled it too mucb for me so overall I prefer the 2D version.

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hb8AYnRb-4

1 Like

Don’t know if you’re still deciding, but for what it’s worth I say 2D all the way. There are too many gorgeous uses of colour and lighting that would be dampened by the dimming nature of most 3D showings.

Welp, the tix I got for Friday the only convenient showtime was 3D. I’m sure if it is worth rewatching I will see it many times in 2D at home.

The Last Jedi was awesome, I loved all of it. I see a lot of people criticizing the pacing and that the story could have been tightened up a bit, which I guess is true. But for me when I go to see Star Wars, the microsecond the blue text of “A long time ago in a galaxy far far away…” flashes on the screen I’m eleven years old again, Star Wars is the hypest shit with the coolest heroes and baddest villains and everything is explained by the Rule of Cool. Plot holes don’t matter. Nitpicking gravity bombs in space doesn’t matter. There’s space wizards and starship dogfights and laser guns and aliens and lightsabers and melodrama and it is everything I want.

7 Likes

Without typing up an essay, I’m generally in agreement with your sentiment @panfriedmarmot. I can see the complaints and I have many things I would have liked to seen done differently, but I enjoyed being able to watch this movie just as I enjoyed TFA. It is playing around in the sandbox that is the Star Wars universe and that universe has such an emotional hold on me that I love just getting to enjoy it on the big screen with all the pretty colors and effects and ships and planets and everything. I know there are big missed opportunities and stilted plot and dialog choices but I love having something to watch and then DISCUSS with my friends.

3 Likes

No lie, that fuckin’ crawl does it for me every time.

Honestly, the more I discuss and reflect on TLJ, the more I like it. It really was damn good despite its flaws.

8 Likes

Pulled the score up on Google Music, and it is pretty solid. Doesn’t touch the original trilogy scores, but does a better job than TFA in my opinion.

The score wasn’t amazing, and had no new recognisable themes that stuck with me. However, it was REALLY good to have John Williams back on Star Wars music duties after the abomination that was the Rogue One soundtrack.

The prequels have some of the best Star Wars music, and these later movies don’t come anywhere close to that, let alone the classics from the original trilogy.

Haven’t heard the new OST yet, but I must agree. Even the shitty prequels still had a great Star Wars soundtrack. Rogue One and episode VII’s music are very forgettable. I’ve forgotten all of it already.

Also, I should rewatch episode VII before going to see VIII. I only saw it that one time in the theater, and that’s it.

1 Like

The best single piece of Star Wars music is probably Across the Stars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nk_WHHTQtY

The worse on-screen relationship in the entire saga has the best music? Somehow true.

3 Likes

I watched it without seeing The Force Awakens more than once and only in the theatre two years ago, and there wasn’t anything that caught me out. Except Finn being in a coma since the last movie. I’d forgotten that.

2 Likes

I finally saw the Last Jedi last night. I’m still kind of digesting it, but overall, I liked it. I really enjoyed the Force Awakens, even though it was derivative, and absolutely hated Rogue One, and I think the Last Jedi falls somewhere in between.

My biggest problem with all these new movies is that as someone who’s read a lot of the old Expanded Universe novels and comics, the whole time I’m watching these new movies, I’m mentally comparing these characters to the ones I’ve grown to love, which don’t exist anymore.

The Rebellion became the New Republic. Luke Skywalker never ran off, but trained a generation of young Jedi Knights and founded a new Jedi Order. With his wife, a woman once sworn to kill him, he had a son named Ben - not Han and Leia. Leia herself became a Jedi and her children with Han were the twins Jacen and Jaina, and a young boy named Anakin, saddled with a great and terrible name, who died saving the galaxy from an alien menace.

Brave X-wing pilots - not unlike Poe Dameron, but with lesser names, who never got the spotlight on film but shined on the page - liberated Coruscant, won the Bacta War, and defeated the greatest of the post-Imperial warlords by dressing as Ewoks and pirates.

In one short story, perhaps my favorite Tale, an aging Han Solo, adrift in the duties of statecraft and fatherhood, unmoored and facing middle-age, the only enemy he could never face with a blaster, went on One Last Job, winding up face to face with an equally tired Boba Fett. Facing certain mutual death, both aging scoundrels lay down their weapons and walk away.

For better or worse, THAT galaxy far, far away will always be the one I remember. I realize that it’s a completely unfair comparison, but I have a hard time trying to not compare these two very different Star Wars universes. It’s like watching a scifi show where there’s an alternative timeline and you know that things aren’t right, but you can’t do anything about it.

1 Like

Why is Hux in charge of anything? He seems like a green Lieutenant.

Hux is one of my favourite characters. To me he seems like a result of Snoke killing every previous fleet commander for minor mistakes until, shit, I guess this guy is in charge?

10 Likes

That… sounds about right.

That’s not a bad head canon, it adds some interesting flavor. Or, that he has been selected for grooming to be a strong and capable military leader given his family lineage and is being allowed to make public mistakes but be corrected mostly in private. Snoke knows he doesn’t have all of the attributes he will eventually need so he is being watched as he learns by doing.

*edit: A Leadership Vacuum: “The Last Jedi” and Mission Failure – The Angry Staff Officer

Loved the movie, watched in 3D “IMAX” with my sister. I’ll say real IMAX is were is at. Tomorrow, I’ll check the movie on my closest true IMAX theater. sometimes living close to DC is a good thing.

Hux is in charge because his Father was the head imperial in charge of rebuilding the first order. He also assumed his Father’s position after having him assassinated.

So yeah… nepotism basically.

Snoke keeps weakness in places of power so he can exploit it