SkateNights

Pre pandemic I personally started to get back into skating after a friend organised a night at the roller disco.

I picked it up quite quickly, so bought myself a pair of triskates.

The Playlife GT 110s are an entry level pair of triskates. The actual powerslide skates that I want are 3 times the cost. At least.

They’re actually really good. I can accelerate quite quickly and hold speed for a considerable amount of time thanks to the bigger wheels.

The limitations with these skates is that the fit isn’t as customisable as the powerslide swell range. Also the wheel frame is too long to have good maneuverability at higher speeds.

Thanks to the pandemic a lot more people have been getting into skating. It’s been one of my primary sources of physical activity. It’s been a heap of fun improving my skills.

I’m already looking at pairs of quad skates and another set of triskates.

I owe my progress to a bunch of youtube tutorials that helped me basically never fall over and follow proper technique. I’m quite confident to skate backwards on one side for now.

My footwork on the left needs training. My brain-muscle connection isn’t quite there yet.

Also need to work on powerslides and downhill traversing. So that I don’t die.

Game Dev Roller Club - https://twitter.com/DevRoller

What is the currently accepted usage of “skate”? Is it equally valid to use it when referring to skateboarding, rollerskating (4 wheels in 2 sets of parallel wheels), and inline skating (aka rollerblading)? Asking both out of colloquial curiosity and for the purpose of clarifying the utility of this thread.

All skates

2 Likes

Ep 28 Roller skate crew!

“This week I spoke to Anisa Sanusi about how the covid lockdown was the perfect time to start a roller skate crew!”

OMG, I saw so much roller skating going on on the social networks and also the neighborhood. It really exploded.

1 Like

I am part of that explosion!

It’s great. I’m actually nerding out on skate design. Currently modifying the skates, mentioned in the first post, at work. It’s ongoing, since I have to actually do work at work too.

In London, the skate meetups are huge! It’s great.

Awww I was really excited when I thought this was a podcast of yours. Fun listen but I missed Darren.

1 Like

Dirty Deborah has been an excellent resource

1 Like

I’ve been meaning to post here for a while; skating has blown up this year for me.

I’ve several hobbies that keep me active, but still feeling the effects of long Covid after 3 years, my bodies goes through really bad dips of low energy to no energy.

Skating has been my saving grace when I haven’t had enough energy to do my usual activities. While I’ve spent a non insignificant amount of money upfront on skates/ wheels/ tools, skating has been the cheapest hobby to take up and it’s kept me going especially this year.

Here in London, there have been tonnes of skating events. Daily meetups and usually bigger events on the weekends.

I’m not so frequent to go to them all, I’m doing my own thing mostly. I haven’t been this social since my university days. Have come to know a fair amount of really talented people, it’s been an awesome time, that winter will undoubtedly interfere with.

Fortunately for me I have also taken up ice skating too. I have a rink local to me that has be renovated. I try to go at least once a week. The investment on hockey boots has me low key interested in the sport. I extremely doubt that I’d ever participate, but I have a new found appreciation for it that didn’t exist before.

I’ve gone down the rabbit hole of the different kinds of blade sharpenings and profiles as an excuse to why I can’t quite master the hockey stop yet.

I’ve done a bunch of street skate workshops that have helped with my technique on the ice. The practice on the ice has also helped with my street skating, as you can imagine the techniques are directly transferrable.

I have also started a mini project of converting a pair of hockey boots to quad skates, as is the fashion here for street skating. I’ll share some pics once it’s complete.

On that subject, if anyone can get their hands on some old school Nike Bauer skates, they’re in high demand. Consider selling them or buying them cheap if you can source them.

Anyone else done any ice skating/ roller skating lately? Please share your tips and tricks.

Anyone go to Flipper’s New York? How is it there?

2 Likes