Sequential art you have been reading

I saw all this talk about the chainsaw man. Some of it good, a dude who has a chainsaw on his head. Some of it not good, the dude’s goal is to touch a boob.

I read volume 1, and it’s actually mostly good. It’s one of those shonen series that has an interesting premise. A lot of elements of Devilman, One Punch Man, and other mans. Also has some elements of Kaiji where being poor and indebted to the yakuza defines a lot of the main character’s motivation and gets them started on their path.

What I like a lot is that it’s not about action scenes at all, at least not in volume 1. If he has to fight, the chainsaws do their work in maybe one page worth of gore, and that’s it. Every page is actually progressing the plot and developing the characters.

And how can you not love this cute little chainsaw devil dog?

Yesterday I read Chicken Soup & Goji Berries (link) by Naomi Cui and Janice Liu. I originally got this when I participated in Alex Steacy’s Drainers comic kickstarter and chose a tier where some other comics published by Cloudscape were bundled in.

It is a sweet little story about a chinese-canadian family, with the paternal grandmother moving to canada. The story is structured into chapters, with each chapter focusing on one member and how they relate to and interact with the grandmother. It’s short but very nice. The art is also decent.

The reason I’m bringing this up here is because the comic has an interesting experiment, that unfortunately doesn’t quite work. See, the family the story is about is bilingual. The grandmother speaks only chinese, where as the rest of the cast often speaks english and the youngest child actually speaks very little chinese. The comic chose to have the language rendered as it is spoken, and each page is published twice, once in the canonical version on the right, and on the left a “translated version” with text that is english on the right in chinese and what is chinese on the right in english.

This makes the comic rather annoying to read, however. I don’t speak chinese, so for longer sections where the characters speak chinese I was looking at the blown-out art on the left, which is still legible but also a deliberately worse version of the original art.

When the language switches in the middle of the conversation you are also forced to switch back and forth between the two versions of the comic, which is also annoying. You could perhaps credit this as a sort of manifestation of how it feels to rapidly switch between two languages, but that would at best be the case for someone who doesn’t speak one of those languages very well. As someone who speaks both german and english fluently, I never experienced that sort of “whiplash”.

So yeah, the comic is nice and sweet, but reading it is kind of unnecessarily difficult. It feels like there would have been a better solution for this like, rendering both versions of the text in the same speech bubble. In the online version which I linked above, the thing is that you see the canonical text, but then you can click the speech bubble and get the translation, which works well, but simply doesn’t translate into print. The online version is also in color whereas print is just black and white.

Decided that my christmas project this year is going to cut down my Manga backlog. Let’s see how far I’ll get.

1 Like

So I finished Chainsaw Man. It’s uuuhh… reactionary wank?

It starts with an orphan resorting to dark shit to escape poverty. Standard themes of people being broken by the society that fails to serve them. From then on it just sinks further and further into disaffected edgy-teen wish fulfillment. Incel-adjacent wonk gets super powers which cause every woman around him to fall for him, and 75% of the time it’s because they only lust after his power, the other honest 25% get murdered after having a moment of intimacy because they only exist in to fuel the main character’s suffering.

In the final chapters it dances with some profoundly middle class male privilege. The main character explores his own desires to live a life free of struggle in exchange for complete servitude. It swings MRA instead of full fascist as the protagonist falls prey to a woman instead of a glorious leader. This is resolved with a problematic shuffle to “everyone just wants to be loved” which is achieved by murdering the controlling woman (like, she is literally the “control” demon), consuming her power (and literally her body), and then raising her reincarnated child self. It’s like moe for the Attack on Titan crowd.

I will give it this, the demons and cosmology were neat.

1 Like

I went into The Vision not knowing much, and that turned out to be a good approach. If you like dark, check it out.

1 Like

If you liked The Vision, you should check out Mister Miracle, by the same author. It’s incredible.

It appears there is a new webcomic to catch up on.

Just read Asadora! Volumes 1+2. As expected, it’s Naoki Urasawa.

I started reading Berserk last year. I’d been hearing for years that it’s incredible series, and tried a few times in the past, but I’d always bounced off it. (To be fair the first few volumes are pretty rough.) This time I made it past volume 3, and I got it. For someone draws that comics for a living, at least some of the time, I haven’t actually read a lot of comics in the past decade or so. But this one really grabbed me. I’m not really sure what it is – I’m no literary critic. I think maybe it’s the fact that, despite how sprawling the narrative is, it’s largely pretty tightly focused on just a few characters, and the tragic relationships between them. It’s just real and raw and human in a way not a lot of stuff in the genre is. (I also feel like I would be remiss if I didn’t mention that there are some pretty problematic aspects of it, but even those are handled in a way that at least feels more real and honest than those subjects are usually treated in genre fiction.)

I did stall out on the infamous “boat arc”, but dove back in after the tragic passing of Miura. As soon as I finished, I turned right around and started reading from the beginning again. In my re-read, Guts has just met Griffith, and man is it bitter-sweet. It’s always cool to go back and see how things started and developed, knowing how it ends (or “ends” such as it is.) Anyway, Berserk has definitely earned a spot as one of my few, really special works of media, and I’m excited to experience it again.

3 Likes

Boat arc isn’t so bad when you’re reading it all compiled (I did the same but did have to take breaks during it even then). I can only imagine the agony of being a Berserk reader and getting a volume every 6 months and its just another boat arc chapter.

Oh my god, I can’t even imagine. Didn’t it go on for, what, like 8 years? And those goofy fuckin pirates. At least the art was sick.

1 Like

Yeah some of those boat arc chapters you’re just reading it to get 1 or 2 nice page size tableau panels with Guts starting out across the sea.

Got and read volume 1 of “Boys Run the Riot”

It’s sort of along the same lines as Bakuman. You have an unlikely pair of students who team up to go on a creative journey together. In this case, it’s in the fashion industry. The main difference is that this focuses almost entirely on the characters, and doesn’t teach the reader details about how fashion industry works the way Bakuman teaches how the manga industry works.

Anyway, I like it.

2 Likes

My latest haul of comic goodness. I’ve been all over the place in terms of genre lately.

1 Like

I recently read all of MIND MGMT because I’d purchased the board game.

It’s very good!

1 Like

I’ve heard really good things about that. It’s on my list.

I’ve been slowing reading through the Expanse series, and in order to not get burned out, I’ve been alternating between reading an Expanse novel and reading something else. I just finished book five of the Expanse, so now I’m reading volume 2 of a comic that I had never heard about until recently, but I’m really enjoying, called Head Lopper.

Head Lopper is just as ridiculous as it sounds, and is a fantasy comic put out by Image, and is kind of a funny but very violent (in a cartoony way) Conan/Groo the Wander type book drawn in a very “Hellboy-ish” art style.

Each volume is a self-contained story, where the Head Lopper goes on a different adventure. Monsters are killed, heads are lopped, and it’s generally just a lot of fun. The art is great and very kinetic and action oriented:

1 Like

Ducks by Kate Beaton off to a start by the second panel:

1 Like