Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal

Inspired by They’re Made of Meat?

1 Like

I really like how SMBC has differentiated himself from the XKCD humor he was originally rifting on. Their jokes don’t always land on me, but when they do they have me good.

SMBC is 3 years older than XKCD! I didn’t realize until I looked just now.

1 Like

Holy shit you’re right. I now want to edit my post and pretend I was never wrong, but alas. Memory is a weird thing.

I think XKCD is rightly held up as a standard when it comes to nerd webcomics, but it’s funny to see anything remotely nerdy being assumed to be inspired by it when that’s obviously not the case. Not only were many people doing nerdy jokes in webcomics way before, but I found quite a few places where those jokes were told with stick figures too.

I even had a series of animated gifs of stick figures that were short stories about things like noticing funny numbers in shopping prices, very similar to the content of XKCD, published two or three years before the first XKCD. That led to my first big viral hit, which was me juggling and turning into a stick figure:

XKCD perfected such stuff, but wasn’t the first by any means.

1 Like

Good one today.

Satan’s prettycool.

I think my favorite SMBC’s are the ones with God:

Everything

As a father of two (nearly 4 years and a 6 month) I am tempted by this approach.

Though to be fair, I just want the older child to use the potty to pee. The poop hurdle was crossed months ago.

Also, I’m getting tired of stuffed animals “jumping out of bed”.

Perhaps an alternative solution could be found.

But seriously, I love my kids, all parents know the frustration of , “Please go the fuck to sleep”.

Relevant:

Very useful in twenty twenty twoea