Rym is Running the New York Marathon

I’m feeling lucky that it will be 3:55 give or take a couple of minutes.

Ok so I heard Rym mention this on an episode, and I was in a similar situation least year, and I’m a similar age, I’d run a couple of HM’s in around 1h50m, and my first Marathon time was 4h30m. So I’d wager due to traffic 4h10m, simple because as Rym said in his first post, he’s not done much past 18 miles, and I found that its at 18-20 miles that things got a little weird.

EDIT: Oh and best of luck to you Rym! I travelled 400 miles at the weekend to have mine cancelled this year due to Storm Babet :confused:

2 Likes

Moving the goalposts already, huh? :goal_net: :arrow_right:

Race day is on Sunday, get your bets in!

My race number if 36368!

My corral starts at 10:20am ET.

My body is ready :wink:

5 Likes
5 Likes

Well done Rym 15 characters

3 Likes

Thank you XD

For the bettors:

I did not bargle.
I did not poop
I did not walk except when forced to briefly around water stations.
I briefly stopped for a number one at a toilet twice.

Ph33r

9 Likes

The final results:

3:55                Josh
3:59                Sammo_Hoi
4:03                Starfox
4:06                Rym's mouth
4:10                Swanny_UK
4:12:33             Rym's legs
4:14                lukeburrage
4:15                Rym's mouth #2
"at least 4:25"     Apreche

My prediction can be verified with

echo "Suffice to say, I predict Rym's 2023 NYC marathon time will be 4 hours 3 minutes 40.111 seconds. Let's do this" | sha256sum

If I forgot anyone, let me know and I’ll update the chart. Congratulations to Rym and Luke.
See everyone next year!

2 Likes

I think we need to take bets on if this even happens next year, or ever again.

On the one hand, it’s not free/easy to get into this thing. Rym only got in because of his job. Will his job even be the same next year? Will his job do it again next year?

Also, Rym went on and on about for years about how marathons are bad for you, and you should run less distance than that. But then, without retracting those statements, he said “ok, just one time.” That said, it wouldn’t be out of character to recant.

What I’m saying is, we have to bet on whether he runs it next year, or ever again.

I’m gonna lean slightly towards no.

1 Like

See, we need SaltyNights.

If there is interest, we can have a thread for this stuff. I would collect results when an event comes in again.

Well done @SkeleRym!

@Apreche after my first, I was of the opinion ‘never again’ for at least a week…

I think Rym deserves all the congratulations here, as he made it pretty obvious what the winning time prediction would be.

Every timed run or race I’ve ever done, I’ve known in advance what my body is capable of, and what pace I could set. Admittedly this is only up to 10k races, as I’m not interested in putting my body through anything more than that.

I’ve usually finished within about 20-30 seconds of my predicted time, and I always push a bit at the end if I think I might go over slightly.

I assumed Rym had the same kind of running pace judgement, and was being slightly cautious, and would also push a bit harder at the end if he had the energy. So going a single minute under his prediction felt like the safest bet.

1 Like

Agreed. The closest I’ve been in a marathon was about 5 minutes off of my prediction, though largely I think from restroom breaks. It’s hard to know your body that well.

The funny thing is I didn’t have my watch tracking the run and didn’t actually know my pace at any given point. I just ran.

That’s probably a good thing. If you were aiming for 2:06 and had a watch to show you were failing to keep that pace, you might have pushed too hard and blown up at 36 km or similar.

2 Likes

9 Likes

What is your water bottle holder?

1 Like

Honestly I hated it. It was an Amphipod Hydraform Minimalist.

I literally only used it so I could grab water from the tables quickly without stopping and just always have access. On my normal runs I usually wear a hydration reservoir.

But because America is a nation of cowards reservoir bags are banned at all of our major marathons. Explicitly banned because they are a “security risk.” So it was that, an approved “front-mounted water bottle harness” or nothing…

2 Likes

This is insane. Honestly I would never have guessed this was the case but of course it is.

2 Likes