Rocket League

If anyone wants to partyup, shoutout!

What Natural Selection is to RTS + FPS

Rocket + Pokemon = …

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhV_5kd8oyw

People still play this game?
I haven’t heard about Rocket League for the past few years.

I quit because the community became far too toxic once it became an Esport and gained a comp mode - every other motherfucker thought they were the next Kronovi and were just being held back by the dumb teammates, and was determined to let them know as aggressively as possible. But people definitely kept playing it - steam charts suggests that an average of about 50-60 thousand people per day are playing it, with occasional peaks as high as a hundred.

The toxicity is mostly at the lower ranks.

When you get to platinum, which isn’t that difficult you don’t get it. As much.

The reporting and muting makes the game worth playing as it’s still a high skill game.

There’s alot of different modes that are fun and that help sharpen skills for the classic mode.

I definitely recommend playing for skill. It’s very satisfying.

Nah, I have a job, and other games to play. I don’t feel the need to have to spend hours of time practicing and playing just to rank up enough to the lofty heights of “Get abused less.”

2 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/CC6XRHbjghM/?igshid=1vl3jx5ca30ij

You can tell when I started to practice.

2 Likes

I did it, I finally did it. I made diamond. I’m real proud of this one. Practicing specific skills got me here.

Those dips in the graphs are down to matchmaking screwing with me. Pairing me with players who are far below mine, to average out the team skill level. Otherwise I would have been diamond sooner.

Because of this. there’s no way to brute force through the ranks. Skilling up is the sure way to rank up. During that time in plat 3, I grew more patient and calm to make improvements on my own techniques.

It’s very easy to get mad at someones elses mistakes in this game. The primary source of plateauing is being frustrated by being de-ranked by poor performing team mates (ie. raging).

The best strat is to always be a good team mate that assists, especially when your partner is unreliable.

4 Likes

Teach me your ways oh master. When I played back in the day I got pretty good at the ground game, but I was just flailing around aimlessly any time I had to take to the skies.

2 Likes

Several things that you need aren’t built into the games tutorials.

Following the YouTube tutorials and workshop maps are key.

But before all that make sure that you have your keybinds and camera settings correct.

While you can definitely play with mouse and keyboard, I personally can only recommend playing with a joypad.

I’m using a Xbox 360 controller on my laptop.

The important button to check is the left shoulder button should be powerslide and air roll. Dual function.

Refer to this guide for camera settings too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/RocketLeague/comments/ixxhw3/new_to_rocket_league_a_quick_settings_guide/

Download this workshop map

Load it in the extras menu in game, practice flying to the end. The first time I completely this took my 40 minutes. I had to fully rewire my brain to get this down, but it was very satisfying once I completed it.

Now it takes me about 4 minutes to complete.

Once you’re comfortable controlling aerials, the floors work becomes more natural too.

If you manage this, let me know.

Better still, stream/ record your attempts. Would be cool to watch.

1 Like

Maybe! It was definitely a game I could go back to, though it has been a few years.

The game is still good.

The main con to the game more than anything is toxic chat. Muting improves the game. I’ve won plenty games just by muting toxic players. Paying any attention to toxic chat can throw your concentration. No communication is better than toxic communication. Quick chats is very useful too. There’s no need for voice chat. You can co ordinate in the game without speaking. This comes with experience, even at low level.

Otherwise it’s a high skill game, it’s very satisfying to play. Everytime I thought I was playing great, I would learn a new skill and feel soooo much better.

The skill ceiling is very high, so there’s a lot of replay value.

The different game modes actually test very specific skills too, and are very complimentary to each other. They’re worth a chunk of time playing each.

It’s not like an FPS where the skills for CTF won’t really help you get better at FFA.

3 v 3, 2 v 2, 1 v 1, Rumble, Dropshot, Hoops, Snow Day; each of the modes are effectively training for the other modes.

There aren’t any throw away modes.

Plus daily tournaments are pretty legit. Winning a few rounds in tournament with randoms is very satisfying and losing isn’t demoralising.

I haven’t played in a long time, but these were the maps that were tolerable to me:

• regular soccer field
  • the other regular soccer field
  • regular soccer field but it’s a train station
  • regular soccer field but it’s underwater

You get the idea. They still pushing all the garbo maps?

It’s all one map.

Only casual modes have the weird maps, but only sometimes. I don’t play casual modes so I actually don’t know anymore.

Rumble sometimes has weird shaped maps, but that mode is supposed to have more randomness.

Hoops has a special map, which replaces the net with hoops and the physics is slightly different.

Dropshot has an octogonal map, the floor is the goal.

1 Like

Cool, maybe I’ll fire it up again this weekend.

1 Like

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CN-cUj5jTKU/?igshid=1i88y12z8382j

This tutorial is way advanced, but I really find interesting is the use of eye tracking to help demonstrate where it is you should be focusing during play.

“keep your eye on the ball”

Hitbox draft meta