Random Questions

wtf is a fruit log?

Which countryā€™s tabloids are more insane: Australia or England?

Murdoch Family in both so :man_shrugging:

Does anyone know where one could order a foam block to a specific measurement?

Great question. I have no idea. Can you buy one at a hardware store and cut it?

I was thinking a little more dense. Think stress ball material.

Yeah, that might be a tough one.

McMaster-Carr would be my first stop, to see what might be available without further digging. They may be able to get you a starting chunk within the ballpark of what you want. Not always the cheapest but they span genres and contain multitudes.

If you need something specific it really would depend on how specific of a measurement and how big of a block. On one end you could look for foam/plastics suppliers, but they probably wonā€™t cut to order. On the other look at end-users that make their trade from carving up such blocks, for example upholsterers and the like. Even if they donā€™t normally stock the specific material, they ought to be able to point at a supplier they already work with, that can get them the block, and then have the tools to carve it up for you.

Of course Amazon and other retailers would have tons of foams and things so it may be that ordering a larger block of stock then carving to final size and having offcuts is still cheaper/easier than scouring for a place that will do the cutting for you. Unless they stock the material and would only need to slice off a small piece, it probably will end up in them charging for a whole piece of stock and keeping the offcuts for themselves or throwing them away.

A small aside, and may not be what you want at all, but if you really need some high-tech stuff that has impact absorption properties , this Confor Foam stuff is often recommended for aircraft seats and came from Apollo, to help cushion for long flights while also providing some good support against injury in case of a hard landing. Iā€™ve used it for seat cushions of course, but Iā€™ve used offcuts of the stuff to add padding in various places over the years to good effect. But can be expensive.

1 Like

Has anyone ever experience strain in the temple area when wearing headphones? If so any advice on how to not get that to happen.

What kind of headphones? Noise cancelling ones and in-ear sealing ones can cause discomfort due to air pressure and such.

Noise cancelling Iā€™ve been using them for years but recently if I casually use them itā€™s causing me pain. After taking them off and laying down it is fine. Over the ear style by the way

See if it happens with the noise cancelling turned off. If that doesnā€™t fix it, the headphones might just be on too tight. Thatā€™s all the ideas I have.

If Iā€™m wearing glasses or something, then the squeeze from the headband can cause those to pinch a little and cause discomfort, but I think youā€™d be able to suss that out pretty readily if that was your case.

1 Like

That happens to me if I wear a headset all day working.

Does anyone know someone that has experience with a federal resume? I need to talk to someone who understands it.

I work for the federal government and applied for my job through USAJobs.gov. I can try to help.

Does anyone here use Co-host? I just got an account there and want to follow people there.