Random Questions

Does anyone know of a good carrier service in Europe? Looking to get something that is unable to be shipped to the US.

Just wanted to thank everyone for their advice concerning chairs. Using Facebook Marketplace, I was able to find a used office chair supply company. I drove out to their location, tested about 5 different chairs, and ended up getting an Aeron B for $400, including the additional lumbar support.

I say this without a shred of exaggeration, but I have never experienced a chair as comfortable as this. To go from a ā€œnormalā€ dining room chair to the Aeron is like night and day.

Oh, for those who are interested, it ended up coming down to the Aeron and a Nightingale chair, which was also super comfortable, but the Aeron was better in the upright position, while the Nightingale was more comfortable reclining, but since Iā€™m upright 95% of the time when working, I picked the Aeron.

Thanks everyone for the help!

5 Likes

Nice!

Sadly, in the case of chairs, the ridiculously expensive one is actually superior.

1 Like

I feel like thatā€™s true for most furniture in general, but so many other products we buy/use are intended for single season/a few years life cycle that we get sticker shock on a quality product made to last decades. I love me a value product for when money is tight that will hold up (Billy bookcases from ikea), but the most durable & usable pieces in my house were all major investments that were worth saving up for.

1 Like

Is there an easily understood term for when you are trying to explain something but the more you explain the more handles you give to someone the pull on?

Like you have an scientist that has two related fossils and someone asks ā€œBut where is the missing link?ā€ and the scientist says ā€œHere it is!ā€ and the questioner then says ā€œBut now where are the two missing links between the original two and the one in the middle?ā€

I suspect thatā€™s whatā€™s happening with vaccine arguments. Like if you explain everything but in doing so you bring up proteins suddenly you have someone who suspects bad things about proteins.

The best I can come up with is ā€œobfuscateā€. (Nope, that word implies intent. Darn.) Hmm. Iā€™m going to research this.

Itā€™s basically reducto ad absurdum - the constant splitting is effectively irrational infinite reduction. Not exactly the same but I think itā€™s sufficiently related that itā€™s a fair use.

1 Like

Is that some form of ā€œMoving the Goalpostsā€?

2 Likes

Iā€™m sure Iā€™ve missed a very obvious link but how does one access the Geeknights discord?

Why does sped-up video feel cheesy or comical, and slow motion feels cool and dramatic?

Sped up is used to create the illusion of speed and thus feels artificial, while slowmo is used to call attention to something that is still moving in real-time and thus feels authentic?

I dunno, I can already think of examples that are exceptions to either of those scenarios

With the new He-Man trailer that just came out, I ended up going down a rabbit hole of old 80s cartoons on YouTube and ran across the opening for a show called Ulysses 31:

I have literally never heard of this show before, but it looks surprisingly very cool. Itā€™s a scifi adaptation of the Odyssey (cool concept), that seems to be based more on European comics art/Heavy Metal than traditional American cartoons from the same time period.

Has anyone ever heard of this show? Did it only come out in Europe? Iā€™m surprised that something this polished (for the 1980s) never made a splash here in the US. Back then, I would have watched the heck out of this show.

1 Like

I am well aware of Ulysses 31, but only because I have been in the presence of Mike Toole who knows everything there is to know about it. Itā€™s one of those French-Japan collabs. Similar to how Flying Ghost Ship was a Russia-Japan collab.

1 Like

That makes a lot of sense. The art style definitely looks like a mix of French and Japanese. I see a lot of Moebius influence in that show.

We definitely had it in the UK, I used to watch it pretty religiously. It occupies a similar headspace to Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors for me from an art style/animation point of view, although Iā€™ve not gone back and looked and Iā€™m not sure how trustworthy 8 year old Geoff is.

1 Like

For those of you that have done it before, I could use some time one on one to talk about things. I feel like I am on the edge of a drastic change in my life and not sure which way to go. Really could use a person to bounce off of to talk about it and make sure I am not overreacting.

My motherā€™s birthday is coming up at the end of the December and my family and I were thinking about buying her a new laptop and monitor, and I was looking for some recommendations.

My mom isnā€™t a gamer, and mostly uses a computer for Internet stuff and writing. Sheā€™s also an amateur photographer and loves to use photoshop for the pictures sheā€™s taken. Iā€™m looking for a laptop thatā€™s powerful enough to do all that stuff, but doesnā€™t need to melt her face off, because sheā€™s not going to be playing Crysis or whatever and expecting 60 FPS.

Likewise, Iā€™m looking for a reasonably priced monitor that would allow her to see her photos clearly on a bigger screen. The screen that sheā€™s using right now is tiny by todayā€™s standards, and isnā€™t even widescreen, so pretty much anything would be an upgrade. If thereā€™s a reasonably priced monitor that is especially good at photo manipulation with good colors and vibrancy, that would be perfect.

Any recommendations on a laptop and/or a monitor would be greatly appreciated. Like I wrote at the beginning, her birthday isnā€™t until the end of December so I have some time.

Thanks in advance!

I recommend iPad Air.

For writing, get the magic keyboard.

For photos, it has Lightroom and Photoshop.

For the big screen aspect use Apple TV + airplay to the TV. You can also connect an external monitor via USB-C or with a USB-C->HDMI/Display port adapter. But unless you buy a VERY expensive monitor, the iPad screen is just going to be way way better.

My parents have never used an Apple anything in their lives so all their previous photos, documents, writings were done on PC using PC software like Microsoft Word, etcā€¦

I do not want to get them an Apple computer and change how they fundamentally do anything. While I realize that an Apple may be best, Iā€™m looking for something non-Apple.

1 Like