Random Questions

1 Like

It’s really funny when you work on a site replacing a building. You have the site which is where the new building is being built and then you have the existing building which is still in use. Then you finish and your new job is to demolish the existing building and even as you are working and the old building is half down people are still calling it the “existing building” despite it no longer existing.

1 Like

Anyone had trouble getting Windows 10 to detect an XBox 360 controller? There aren’t a lot of reliable resources on what to do if it doesn’t auto-detect.

It can be kind of wonky especially if you unplugged it and plugged it back in while the PC is on, it will often decide this is “Player 2” and stop working because games detect for “Player 1” The fix I have found to work is to unplug the controller, turn off the PC, plug it in and turn it on and on startup it will detect it as a new device and assign Player 1.

Yeah I can’t get it to show up as any player on my Microsoft Surface but it shows up on my desktop just fine.

When that happened to me, it was a driver error. Maybe try deleting the drivers then re-installing them.

How do I do that without them showing up in the device manager?

Maybe the Surface version doesn’t have the drivers and you have to get them? IDK if there’s anything different about a Windows install on Surface compared to a desktop so I might be talking out my ass.

It did until yesterday…

EDIT: It’s working now. Magic of technology.

Fifteen characters of Hooray!

Yes, there are a lot of windows desktop features including certain libraries and drivers that are default off in Surface’s OS, but can be turned on through a feature checklist and windows will download any required data to run said options.

I’ve seen Rym and others talk about going to Australia, the UK, or a few other places should the US take a serious nosedive but not many have discussed Canada as an option. Is there something about about Canada that makes it a bad backup for someone fleeing the US or is it just that their chosen career paths are not as supported there?

It’s fucking cold.

Choice one is Canada choice two is Japan. Canada because English but it would be harder to get a job as my marketable skill is grounded in the US legal system. Japan I can easily be another warm body that can speak and teach English but it would be much more difficult for my wife.

If the US goes too fashy, Canada is too close for safety. If I’m fleeing a fascist regime, I’m not going next door. We saw in the 40s what that looks like.

2 Likes

I count that as a win for me.

My partner, luckily, has plenty of skills that are in demand in Canada, though I have very few.

My garbage brain hadn’t even considered this. Blarg.

Canada is my first choice simply because I have family there. I could live with them while I secured something more permanent. Moving country is a big deal. Most simply don’t have the resources it takes to do it because they want to.

Both of my plans for leaving this country revolve around what doors are already open, and both aren’t ideal.

Netherlands is my first choice. Just gotta figure out how to get in and bring New York with me.

If the US becomes so fascist that they take over Canada, presumably it will not care about Democracy anymore. At that point, what’s to stop China from taking over Japan and Australia? Or North Korea from lobbing missiles at Japan?

That’s why the whole “I’m going to escape the US and go to County X” seems so stupid to me. If the US ever reaches the point where you have to flee, the entire world is pretty much fucked and there won’t be anyplace left that’s safe.

1 Like

At least for now I still believe in New York. Regardless of the US, I won’t run until New York fails. And I’ll fight to make that day not come in the first place.

2 Likes