Random Comments

I’d pirate his software anyway.

I think his software is all web servicey stuff that you can’t really pirate short of hacking the company code repository and posting it online somewhere.

1 Like

Why don’t you just pay $10 for a bunch of bananas? What do you have against banana farmers and grocers?

I work writing software that literally processes and distributes music royalties. All art I have ever created is distributed under a Creative Commons license. So pirate away.

Question for the anti priacy crowd? Why isn’t like, all of music youtube piracy?

When I wanna listen to a random song I just queue it up on youtube. Should I be prosecuted as a dirty pirate for this? I block ads.

Do you try to make a living from your Creative Commons art? Or do you make a living from your job writing software. That’s the difference.

Eh, fuzzy issue there, I admit. This falls into my “once in a blue moon” grey area. If it’s something you listen to once in a blue moon, then meh, whatever. If it’s your favorite song and you play it all the time, you really should buy it from the artist.

Wait, do you pirate bananas?

1 Like

Pretend it’s my favourite song and I listen to it all the time. Down with me now? DMCA violation? $1000 dollars owed to the license holder per illicit view?

If I made a living from art, I would still release everything with a Creative Commons license.

Jason Rohrer (One Hour One Life, etc.) releases all his games (foolishly) with almost no copyright whatsoever, and makes a living off of that. He releases the code and the data and the assets! He got mad recently because a company forked his game (not a problem for him) but also stole attribution for it (this made him mad). Should have used a CC attribution only license like I do.

I like bananas. I pay for bananas when I partake of bananas.

I don’t like rhubarb. I never partake of rhubarb. I never pay $10 for rhubarb.

1 Like

If the only way to get bananas was to pay $10 per bunch I would have no moral problem just straight up stealing them from the grocery.

A bunch of bananas is not an equivalent amount of capital and labor to an album. Fixed for inflation, the price of an album has been decreasing since the 70s.

EDIT also bananas are consumable. Buy an MP3 and you have it forever.

I’m just gonna leave this here. Patrick Stickles of Titus Andronicus sent it to me after I bought his album.

“thank you for yr support of Titus Andronicus, band, brand, and newly opened webstore. Yr vote of confidence gives us the strength we need to continue on undaunted at work which is often thankless and always arduous. Knowing that you are out there, somewhere, heart brimming with faith in us and in our vision, is a sustenance rivaled only by the sun.”

1 Like

This is ultimately what the data bears out. When it’s easy, cheap and, convenient to buy stuff. People do. When Netflix dominated the streaming when it first came out, piracy was at an all time low.

The penalties for piracy are a separate issue, but I agree that’s egregious. The penalty probably shouldn’t be more than a reasonable multiplier of what it cost to purchase – i.e. if you can buy the song for $1, but you pirate it instead, you maybe should have to pay $10 as the penalty.

That’s his choice and, hey, he was successful doing it. Great. Not everyone can be so successful, so the creator should have the choice.

Well, given the problems with banana blight, that may actually become a reality in the not-too-distant future. But that’s besides the point. Are you arguing that the reason why you won’t pay $10 for an album is that $10 is too expensive? So what would you be willing to pay? $5? $1? Or are you like, “I don’t need to pay artists jack shit!”

Agreed. If people are arguing that media is too expensive, that’s a separate issue. If people are arguing that they shouldn’t have to pay for it at all, uh, no.

1 Like

There’s another banana blight? Will our future banana flavoring taste like modern bananas but nothing like future blight-resistant bananas too?

If I recall correctly we’re arguing that media is too much up it’s own ass to pass from a dead person to their heir. I laid out three things, cheap was only one of them. All of them must be present for piracy to not be a better option.

There is no music blight.

Most recent article on banana blight I could quickly find (October 2018): The banana is dying. The race is on to reinvent it before it's too late | WIRED UK

If you never deactivate your account when you die and just pass your username and passwords on to your descendants, does that make you a digital ghost?

1 Like