Organ Donation

So? It’s the same body I’ve been using my entire life.
It’s like seeing a childhood home getting torn down, sure I’m not occupying it now, but that doesn’t mean I don’t care about it.

You will be dead. There will be no seeing.

You will be dead. There will be no caring.

2 Likes

[quote=“JCDenton, post:19, topic:238, full:true”]
I know it’s stupid, and it shouldn’t matter, but man getting spikes in my eyeballs does not sound nice
[/quote]You know what doesn’t sound nice?

YOU. You are not a nice person. You are in fact, a bad person. You are a selfish unempathetic scumbag.

Imagine you are blind. You can’t fucking see. You could see if someone donated their eyeballs to you, but nobody has. Then hear some news. This asshole JCDenton died. He does not need his eyes anymore. You could have regained your sight. But it was more important to him that his body looked nice at his funeral, so you’re going to have go on with life not fucking seeing and waiting for an actual good person to die before you can see again.

That’s your dying wish to give one last fuck you to the other members of the human race? Not only by damaging the environment with a burial instead of a cremation, but also by denying a blind person the gift of sight? Wow, what a great human being you are.

3 Likes

If the spikes in your eyeballs bother you, then don’t learn anything about the rest of the embalming process.

2 Likes

Honest question. (Read I’m too lazy to actually do the legwork to find the actual answer. Feel free to not answer on that basis)
Say there’s 2 Naozas and one is dead. After his body has been ransacked for anything even remotely useful. Why is it not legal for the hospital/morgue to give me whatever is left, let me drag it through the parking lot, throw it in the trunk/back seat, drive it home, dig a small hole and bury it? Or toss it in the lake? Or just in the woods? All on my own property.

Now just replace the body of my fictional double and replace it with a next of kin.

While the thought of actually doing any of this makes me feel… unsettled. Logically I don’t see any problem with it. Animals die in the woods all the time. What’s an additional human corpse? Not to mention this is definitively better than burning it on energy cost alone if nothing else.

http://stimmel-law.com/en/articles/rights-and-obligations-human-remains-and-burial

Everything in that article applies equally to a dead black bear or deer. Both of which I’ve encountered in the woods. Why are their corpses not a problem but mine would be? My question stands.

Human dead bodies have things that other humans can catch. Bear bodied might not have the same kind of bacteria.

However, I once read a study that looked at what should be done with dead bodies immediately after a disaster. It concluded that usually too much effort is spent on removing and burying dead bodies as early as possible, and that the time and energy spent on that would be better put to helping living people, making sure environments are otherwise safe, etc. Usually a body can be left for 48 without any problems.

Of course, that is putting aside considerations of moral.

[quote=“Naoza, post:28, topic:238, full:true”]
Everything in that article applies equally to a dead black bear or deer. Both of which I’ve encountered in the woods. Why are their corpses not a problem but mine would be? My question stands.
[/quote]The whole history of modern sanitation, disaster response, and disease prevention?

Not to be rude, but this was a question trivially solved by any amount of googling. :wink:

2 Likes

Nah, you got it backwards. The spikes hook into the flesh of the eyelid, it goes smooth side on your eyeball. The shape of the eye and eye socket keep it in place, doesn’t need spikes on that side.

[quote=“hmtksteve, post:18, topic:238, full:true”]
I dated a mortician… I now want to be cremated.
[/quote]So’s my aunt. A Mortician, that is, not cremated.

I take the RPG approach to death. Loot corpse. Burn corpse so it doesn’t rise as an undead and kill you.

I addressed this in the initial query

If you’re too lazy to do any research, don’t badger everyone else about the details of their answers. If you’re motivated enough to type up critical questions, then you’re motivated enough to type something into Google. Stop being a lazy fuck and just do the search; it will take the same amount of time.

Also, we DON’T just leave animal remains lying around where human traffic is expected. The police and animal control clean them up before they can pose a serious health hazard. That’s why dead deer aren’t piled up on roadsides. We don’t care about animals that die in the woods because (1) it’s not heavily trafficked, and (2) scavengers eat them.

1 Like

The law offices of Stimmel Stimmel & Smith have provided a satisfactory answer to my query. It goes right along with what Nuri has said. Not the fair criticism of my methods, but the facts laid out below. The legal issue isn’t with leaving a corpse in a low traffic area such as the woods but the transport there safely.

I’m a bad person because I assertively went out of my way to sign up to be an organ donor, because I don’t want to donate my eyes?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S23dgKCPb0U

Isn’t Scott Adams an awful person?

Someone’s not an awful person because they disagree with you politically.
I saw him speak on Bill Maher, seemed totally reasonable too me, none of his cartoons made him seem like an awful person.

You’ve kind of stumbled onto a big thing I’ve been grappling with lately. Maybe it deserves its own thread.

But yeah, like people are complex. Is there such a thing as an objectively bad person? Well I guess that depends on how you define bad. If you define it as no redeeming value whatsoever. Not only is it not possible provided they made one person smile once but it’s self contradictory, as there’s differing mutually exclusive ways to go about being horrid.

If you define it as imagine quantifying good and evil and then just adding it all up and people with positive scores are good and negative is bad then that has it’s own issues that I could go on and on about, but it comes down to varying degrees of “if Hitler saves a puppy”.

Is it just actions? Are there irredeemable actions out there? Someone does something wrong one time and all of a sudden they’re bad. Alexander Hamilton was adulterous, irredeemable?

Can someone be automatically awful because they hold an abhorrent belief? What if the worlds best philanthropist or a guy who devotes his life to curing malaria cheaply also happens to a misogynist?

I have to wrestle with this garbage in my day to day life and it’s beginning to bother me because I’m not sure what to do. Treat them as I would Hitler? Treat them like I did before I knew their evil? Obviously somewhere in between. But where? This matter of degrees nonsense bothers me. I prefer a black and white world.

Scott Adams highlights:

Our bodies want sex more than we want to stay alive. Literally. Lonely boys tend to be suicidal when the odds of future female companionship are low.

So if you are wondering how men become cold-blooded killers, it isn’t religion that is doing it. If you put me in that situation, I can say with confidence I would sign up for suicide bomb duty.

Powerful men have been behaving badly, e.g. tweeting, raping, cheating, and being offensive […] the natural instincts of men are shameful and criminal while the natural instincts of women are mostly legal and acceptable.

if you’re already a Clinton supporter, it probably looks great all the way down.

But if you’re an undecided voter, and male, you’re seeing something different. You’re seeing a celebration that your role in society is permanently diminished. And it’s happening in an impressive venue that was, in all likelihood, designed and built mostly by men. Men get to watch it all at home, in homes designed and built mostly by men, thanks to the technology that was designed and built mostly by men. I mention that as context, not opinion.

Scott Adams, pretending to be not-Scott Adams on the internet:

As far as Adams’ ego goes, maybe you don’t understand what a writer does for a living. No one writes unless he believes that what he writes will be interesting to someone. Everyone on this page is talking about him, researching him, and obsessing about him. His job is to be interesting, not loved. As someone mentioned, he has a certified genius I.Q., and that’s hard to hide. […]

I assume you don’t hate all self-promoters, such as homeless people applying for jobs. Is it Adams’ enormous success at self-promotion that makes you jealous and angry?

Yeah, I’m not seeing much to change my assessment.