Olympics

Wow, I can’t think of another time medals were re-awarded after the fact.

This happens all the time for Olympic medals!

Right, but they usually don’t give gold to the previous second place!

No really, it happens a lot.

Here’s a story about both bronze medalists being bumped up to gold after both the previous gold and silver medalists were banned….

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1113348/makhov-banned-four-years-doping-london

… and now he has a doping ban himself.

Here’s a story about a fourth place finisher getting bumped up to gold after all three athletes ahead of her got banned.

2 Likes

I guess it’s a relatively recent development.

there is now a formal process in place after the approval of the Olympic Medal Reallocation Principles in May 2018 by the International Olympic Committee (IOC).

The formalized process is only a few years old, and the choices of how you’ll be awarded your new medal. Before that there wasn’t a set way to receive your medal, but it still happened. One guy was given his outside a Burger King in an airport. He wasn’t impressed.

Diplomatic boycott, not boycott boycott. I’d be worried if I was a US athlete set to compete, though.

That end to the women’s figure skating was some wild shit.

What is that coach doing?
Gold and bronze walking around in a daze.
No family there for any of them. Nobody looks like they believe what happened.

Nice Olympics news, for once.

1 Like

The IOC has recently chosen host cities in countries that tolerated their long-time corruption. Even places that have strong anti-corruption laws and institutions will often allow it, as they at least believe they stand to benefit.

Whoops, they chose Paris for 2024. Mistakes were made!

If this investigation actually results in consequences, they will never allow another Olympics to be hosted somewhere that isn’t complicit with corruption ever again.

2 Likes

It doesn’t seem like the IOC had much choice! Paris and LA were the only cities that didn’t withdraw. I had to look up who’s hosting 2032 - Brisbun was the only bidder.

France doesn’t allow alcohol at sporting events except for a few special ones? Now I really want to go to France to watch some sports.

Thought of your panel when this came across my feed.