Objectification of Women in Modern Media

No it just that a cool action lady in a sexy dress is probably the tamest of things I can think of to be so put off by that I find it baffling.

That was pretty much how I felt too

EDIT: This is even more popcorn gif

2 Likes

2B 's designed in a way that specifically emphasizes Japanese fetish stuff with maid cafes and other types of fan service even if 2B as a character in the game is never utilized in the same way it telegraphs/signals that type of thing to a casual observer. If she were sexy in less specific and niche ways then I think it would just be sexy action chick and not fetish kink.

2 Likes

Think of it like this.

How comfortable do you think the women who stopped or decided to participate less in this forum would feel if you were posting images of this character? Do you think it would make them feel more or less comfortable?

If you were selling a product, and put a still image of that character on the cover, who do you think is going to buy it? If you have many such image in your store, how will that make customers feel?

You may be desensitized to this sort of thing since it is admittedly, way less pervy than most these days. That says more about how far things have gone, like DoA volleyball territory situations. But just because diahrrea exists, doesn’t mean that solid poop isn’t still poop.

5 Likes

You’re assigning an awful lot of male gaze to women.

2 Likes

Couldn’t that tie into the Android’s purpose as subservient guardians? The idea that despite their inherent power, they are rendered socially inferior. This is further satirized by the fact that now that their masters are extinct, they have no reason to dress as they do but continue to do so out of blind traditionalism? (I don’t think the blindfolds on their costumes are an accident)

Bear in mind, this doesn’t preclude that the creator is also a pervert.

2 Likes

Like I said in my reply to them I’m just more baffled that something so tame could be so off-putting. If media makes someone uncomfortable I’m not going to insist they play or watch it of course, just in this case it’s making me scratch my head.

Spoilers friend! Spoilers!

1 Like

I think it’s fair to use spoilers to explain something that’s being ragged on in design. It’s necessary for the argument.

What is Tenchi Muyo where it was like “she’s not a child, she’s thousands of years old!”

All of fiction is fiction. The creator made it. If a creator creates problematic art, it’s not somehow magically less problematic because they go through the additional effort to invent a fictional reason for it to be there.

“Oh, the chainmail bikini makes sense because in this universe, X, Y, Z.” LOL

1 Like

I agree, every time I’m midly confused, or baffled I also insult the things that are baffling me.

1 Like

I didn’t make this rule up, but it’s one I follow: I try not to buy/watch/display/play anything that I would have a hard time explaining or justifying to my significant other or her friends. If my girlfriend comes over and I have a creepy Hentai statue of some anime girl, there are going to be problems. Tanto Cuore might be a great game, I have no idea, but I’m never going to buy it.

Nier walks right up to that line but doesn’t cross it for me. My girlfriend has watched me play it a couple of times, and the first time she saw it she asked me why the kick-ass robot was dressed as a Gothic maid. After that, she just kind of shrugged and we both agreed that it’s just a “Japan thing.”

3 Likes

You’re not wrong but is there is something problematic about an attractive character in a sexy dress?

1 Like

How do you feel about Bayonetta?

2 Likes

I agree with this 1000%. It’s gotten a fair bit different since I got to a certain point in my transition, but I would give this advice to any men.

1 Like

giphy

2 Likes

Not a fan for all the reasons we discussed in this thread.

But also, unrelated, not a fan of that entire genre of third person walk around and hit things games.

1 Like

The latter is legit. I’ve never actually played it, unless you count playing as her in Smash.

But the former is an issue with how you view media in general. You’re assuming the viewer is male. Sexy ladies can be empowering just like they can be insulting. This is what trips up so many people about Bayonetta and (again) Sailor Moon. It’s fine if it makes you uncomfortable as a man, but don’t project that discomfort onto all players.

3 Likes

Don’t mischaracterize me just because I questioned your moral absolutism. It’s clear to me 2B is fetishized. Isabelle is also fetishized by part of the community. Should we not include dog characters in games because of that?

To answer your post further down the line, to what extent is objectification empowering vs. disempowering? Is Ryuko’s outfit whole cloth (heh) inexcusable because a male creator drew a sexy lady despite the fact that her design is clearly antiestablishment by mocking the fascist fashion of the academy? Would it not be problematic if a female designed and drew it? Would it not be problematic if Ryuko was a real person who chose to dress that way?

I can elaborate on my thoughts when I get home from work, but I reject your arguments based solely on your incomplete assumptions and the fact that you assume we are all following the exact same moral framework.

My apologies, I only know the plot through external sources and assumed what i wrote was set up in the opening cutscenes

1 Like