Now that Donald Trump has Won

Ummm that point you are making is… not a great both sides are bad arguments.

I’m talking legacy stuff. Nixon backers said Watergate was a Democratic conspiracy, and tied Agnew’s resignation into it too. But history hasn’t been kind to him.

Then let me rephrase, politics has become a team sport, Trump supporters won’t stop supporting despite him not doing what he said, and that saying that only Trump supporters are at fault here is unfair because it’s done by the left as well. I think that further pushing the idea that only his supporters are at fault increases the divide between parties and is ineffective

In a first past the post system this has always and will always be the case.

I’m not sure about that.

In 1984 you had a candidate turning 49 states red, now the idea of a democrat taking texas or a republican taking new york or California seems impossible. I don’t know enough about politics from the era, but it seems to me like it was less of a team sport, as people from the bluest parts of America voting republican, same with the 1976 election of Carter, you had Texas go democratic.

What does that have to do with the rhetoric you were talking about?

Correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t that also pre-gerrymandering?

Very wrong. The term is a reference to an 1812 political cartoon protesting an act by MA Governor Elbridge Gerry.

Welp never mind then. I was under the impression that was more recent. This is why I asked.

There were many factors in play in 1980.

Carter was not well liked. Ted Kennedy even primaried against him.

Iran had stormed our embassy and was holding hostages for MONTHS. A mission has been planned to send in choppers in rescue them but shit went wrong and it was scrubbed.

The oil crisis of the 1970’s had happened and people blamed Carter for the long lines at the gas station and fuel shortages.

Reagan had been a successful governor of California and was previously a Democrat. He was known and liked from his days in Hollywood and from his work in the actors guild.

There was a lot going on in 1980.

Steve, those are all good points, but the map used was for 1984

1 Like

My bad… Mondale had the sex scandal. Plus the people still loved Reagan and Iran-Contra had not happened yet.

Back on target, has BuzzFeed just jumped the shark or possibly even committed journalistic suicide? https://www.buzzfeed.com/kenbensinger/these-reports-allege-trump-has-deep-ties-to-russia?utm_term=.llVBp3jbW#.eqO49A8zX

This image has extra lulz for me due to the large number of Trump-anime/manga memes I have seen over the years.

Presumably the party rhetoric was less powerful if a single person was able to take 49 states.
I don’t know much about that election so I wasn’t sure. The way the election is these days, the idea of a single party taking 49 states seems impossible, in no small part because of how much the country has divided into red states and blue states.

There was far less animosity between the parties at that time. Members of the Legislature typically lunched together regardless of political party. I think it was Gingrich as speaker of the house when the divisions really became a problem. Compromise became a dirty word.

Reagan was a smooth talker like none other in the history of the White House. He had been building momentum for the Presidency since his speech at the '64 RNC. The rescue of the Iranian hostages and return from the recession of the late 70s were credited to him, tho whether he deserved the credit is debatable.

Mondale wasn’t even very popular with Democrats. He had lost the nomination in several races before. Ferraro was a poor choice for VP, tying a lot of controversies to the campaign.

[quote=“hmtksteve, post:54, topic:125”]
Back on target, has BuzzFeed just jumped the shark or possibly even committed journalistic suicide?
[/quote]Doesn’t seem so. Reportage about a salacious report, while noting it contains mistakes, possibly isn’t true, noting the source’s prior position to have access to this sort of information. Also noting that CNN published excerpts first, even if Buzzfeed are first to print with the full thing, it’s pretty obvious they’re not the only ones with it. Not the gold standard, but far from jumping the shark or committing Journalistic suicide, or any other melodramatic ways to put it that come to mind.

1 Like

From what I am reading elsewhere the documents BuzzFeed published were well-known among journalists prior to the election but no one wanted to publish because nothing could be verified. Even Mother Jones had seen them and declined.

1 Like

Is anyone else watching the farewell address?

1 Like

caught the last few minutes of it, It’s strange to think a country that elected someone as measured and inspirational as Obama, would elect Trump next but here we gooooo.

1 Like

Well, shit is going down.