Now that Donald Trump has Won

:100:

[fifteen characters of 100]

He already had that title when he kept letting the Saudi’s genocide the Yemeni population

It’ll be really odd if Kurdish pull out is the straw that broke the Republicans back.

Again, going by the Freep thread on SA, that might actually be happening

THE STUPID IT BURNS MY SOUL…

1 Like

The fuckery of this administration knows no bounds…

Exclusive: Turf War Blocked CFPB From Helping Fix Student Loan Forgiveness Program

"Starting early last year, the nation’s most powerful consumer protection agency sent examiners into companies that run student loan call centers to try to fix a troubled loan forgiveness program. But the Department of Education blocked the bureau from getting the information it needed, NPR has learned…

Several sources familiar with the matter tell NPR that the bureau sent teams of examiners into servicing companies that run student loan call centers. Such examinations typically go on for two months, with the team embedded at the company. There’s months of follow-up after that.

But the Trump administration’s Education Department told loan servicing companies not to share information with the bureau about the vast majority of student loan borrowers, citing privacy concerns.

That’s even though the companies are allowed to turn over private financial information to credit reporting companies. But the Education Department told the firms it was not OK to share information with a law enforcement agency. The CFPB is charged with enforcing consumer protection laws."

Wow, bold move and it proved as underwhelming as one would imagine. One report was that only 7 students of the college (2,100 enrolled students) actually attended. I wonder who made up the rest of the crowd? Random Trump fans from the surrounding areas probably.

I had heard about this. The on-campus students were confined to their dorm rooms during the rally. Mostly because the Secret Service determined it would create a safety issue or similar nonsense.

I only found out about this today due to the resignation of Richard Spencer (no, not that one) but I think it is a microcosm of the U.S. under Trump. People in the U.S. are probably already familiar with this, but just to see if I got everything correct I’ll recount my understanding of things:

• A Navy SEAL named Eddie Gallagher was reported to his superiors by his SEAL teammates after he murdered a prisoner of war in cold blood, stabbing him multiple times. He then took photographs with the body. He gets court martialed. At the trial the team’s medic had gotten immunity, took the witness stand and then confessed to the murder, contradicting both that medic’s earlier testimony and the testimony of other witnesses. The case is basically dead due to the medic’s immunity. Gallagher gets still convicted for posing with the dead body, but is released on time served. Still gets demoted.

• Trump intervenes, undoes Gallagher’s demotion and meddles in the Navy’s affairs regarding the trial in several ways.

• The Navy starts a review of Gallagher’s conduct. This is not good news for any Navy SEAL as it is basically certain death for their career, a precursor to them being kicked out of the Navy. Trump tries to get the review halted, making that public in a tweet. When asked about this Secretary of the Navy Richard Spencer responds that a tweet is not an order.

• Defense Secretary Mark Esper demands Spencer’s resignation. The official reason given is that Spencer supposedly went behind Esper’s back and appease Trump by undercutting the review of Gallagher by letting Gallagher retire while keeping his rank before the review starts. The only source for this claim is the White House, and it is not exactly believable because 1) that course of action is what Esper is now trying to enact; and 2) Spencer’s letter of resignation is extremely sternly worded, including this passage:

Unfortunately it has become apparent that in the respect, I no longer share the same understanding with the Commander in Chief who appointed me, in regards to the key principle of good order and discipline. I cannot in good conscience obey an order that I believe violates the sacred oath I took in the presence of my family, my flag and my faith to support and defend the Constitution of the United States.

So yeah, the Trump administration, where the entire chain of command is undermined to protect a fucking war criminal.

2 Likes

Don’t forget that this is all underpinned by the desire to appeal to the racist Republican base who think the SEAL didn’t do anything wrong because he killed a brown Muslim terrorist.

Now Trump has ordered the prosecutors in the case to be stripped of their medals.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1207014890734534659?s=20

This is useful if like me you’re not about to actually do the due diligence required to find out what’s happening (that is to say, read the same story from multiple sources so as to get a complete picture) But you also don’t just want headlines:

https://www.impeachment.fyi/

Basically a paragraph summary of every major piece of news relating to impeachment, with sources there if ya wanna read further. Updated daily.

1 Like

2 Likes
2 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/B63pY_4F6H4/?igshid=yuv6j3typ3na

Thread:

So I disagree with this as well. They clearly want to destroy some of the government. Maybe a large part of the government that any regular person would call government. To rattle off a few examples:

Any form of welfare including food stamps, public housing like section 8, social security, disability and so on.

That’s all I can think of for outright abolishment but for replacing with private alternatives, basically everything the government does. Private road construction, private schools, private infrastructure construction, (like bridges and such) private parks, private emergency services, private refuse collection, private water and sewer maintenence.

The list goes on. They’d also likely be in favor of either abolishing or greatly reducing the power of regulatory bodies. Nobody likes being told what to do and they see basically all regulation as being told what to do. The fact that this leads to kids working in the mills seems to be lost on them.

Point is, they don’t wanna get rid of government, but they wanna get rid of parts of government.

I personally think the task of teasing out what parts they wanna get rid of, what parts they wanna change and what parts they wanna keep is interesting and worth doing. It’d also show that it’s not a fully consistent or even coherent ideology. There’s a lot of differing opinions within the right.

Some surely wanna bring back the monarchy and some surely genuinely actually wanna abolish the entire government (police, military, judiciary and federal reserve included) and replace it with private entities (surely with them at the top).

I don’t think Republicans want to destroy all forms of welfare, I just think they want to destroy the forms of welfare that they don’t get.

Most Republicans live in states where they don’t even realize that they’re on welfare, by that I mean that they receive more in Federal Aid then they pay in Federal Taxes.

1 Like

I completely agree.

EDIT: my original comment was meant to bolster your point, not dispute it.